Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight - Death System Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, with the way some of the dms interact with players sometimes it would bring up ideas of that. Seeing as i do't see many dms on, and some of the dms were scolding players for questions. Saw one person tryig to get a dms attention for an hour. . not cool. And no one wants to die, but playing perma-death really upsets me as a player, whose put many hours into their charcters. Dm's cant raise me when i'm at work, since i have an RL life too.

Comment

Meh, I think perma kill is awesome. just my opinion, though..

Comment

Originally posted by Dark__Soul View Post
        well, with the way some of the dms interact with players sometimes it would bring up ideas of that. Seeing as i do't see many dms on, and some of the dms were scolding players for questions. Saw one person tryig to get a dms attention for an hour. . not cool. And no one wants to die, but playing perma-death really upsets me as a player, whose put many hours into their charcters. Dm's cant raise me when i'm at work, since i have an RL life too.

Do a little reading, it's not perma-death. And we do get a lot of stupid questions from people clearly answered on the website. We have lives, jobs, and other things to do. This is our free time we give to you.
        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

the entire notion of not being able to respawn by yourself, bothers me. How am i going to know whether a dm feels like passing over me, or is actually going to help me? The point being is, that i cant respawn, or get raised after my sigs are gone, except by a DM, and thats what bothers me the most. I cant be raised if i log off, so i may be there for days. And no, i don't really have alts. since i put all my time into one character now. I find him fun, and i don't want him to be taken away from me, because i got PvP'd, or killed by some super-monster when i walk through a door, since i didn't know they were there after a transition >8(

Comment

At the risk of opening a door to the annoying, if a faithful wanted to issue a prayer to his or her deity to plead for succor whilst in the forest of eternal night, should the character's player just use local chat and wonder if a DM was in the area at that particular moment, or should said player use the DM channel?

Presumably said plea would need to be convincing (and rare), and the character would need to have some history of deity-worshipping RP to stand on.

Comment

I don't see the point of those "OH NOES I CANT REZ MYSELF NOW" complaints. Just carry enough crystals with you and there won't be any problems.

If you ran out of crystals and risk getting pvp'd or killed by monsters.. well, thats worth a good laugh then. Its not like you are more restricted now or players are getting killed by other players dozens of times a day. You are just encouraged to play more carefully and treat death as it is: Even in the Realms a thing you often can't really escape. Resurrection is not cheap within the realms.

It gives the gameworld a whole new level of atmosphere and logic as you just can't walk into an ogre's cave and say hello just for the thing of it. If you don't know wether you can take on an enemy or not - get reinforcements. Play in groups, ally with other characters etc. pp.

I like the changes and look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormlord
                Play in groups, ally with other characters etc.
                Ding! Quoted for truth.

I fully endorse the new system. It puts the adventure back into adventuring. It will encourage more partying, discourage unnecessary PvP, and breathe new excitement into the various dangerous locales in Sundren.
                Mirumoto Akagi: What is dance?
                Dalon Arogard: It's this. *busts a move*
                Llew Hy: A strange compulsion...
                Mirumoto Akagi: I suppose you can dance if you like, but you're leaving our friends behind, and they're not dancing.
                Dalon Arogard: Then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

Now this is a change that could make things interesting. I have not played on a server that made death something to actually fear (well, in relative terms that is).

I was in the Fuge Plane before the change to the server. Will that effect me, since I won't have any of those little widgit-thingies?
                  Dashmin "Dash" Fleetfoot
                  Strongheart Halfling

Burglar turned Wizard.

Comment

Does the Druid Grove count as a Temple?
                    sigpic
                    Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

Stuck in the FEN?

Atleast you get rp exp in the fugue plane....

That is...until lvl 15.

Will there be events in FEN for those stuck there???
                      Andrea Moonshadow - elven druid "'ellooo!"

Gertie - hin grimwarden "Death is a gate, not an end."

Mija - wandering musician (M.I.A.)

Comment

I've ran events in there before.

Comment

So anyway the new system sounds like a great idea.

In fact I might just start over with a new char to get the full experience.

See you in the FEN
                          Peppington Merrifefferlis - Most learned scholar of the fine exalted institution that is Candlekeep, centre of all learning that is Arcane and magical in nature. Also loves cats.

Comment

Seriously

Alright, here is my say.

First know my D&D background, ive been playing tabletop for 6 years now, and dming for four of those. Dm's and the players should not be butting heads but working together to enhance the fun. I honestly dont see this doing that particularly for lowbies who just came on recently. Like me.

Before you get critisizing me about how i havent been around on the server long enough to know maybe listen. I play a character who likes to examine the civilized areas. I go to every town enter every shop and see all the wares. Exploration, i checked this forum because during one exploration in a town i thought was safe, I was attacked and killed by, to say simply rediculously powerful bandits.

Outside of the fact that by hardcore rules bandits probably shoudlnt be any stronger than level 3, they would never be so close to a town. But oh well ist a game random spawns happen.

The problem is being capped at level six all i can do is grind for money, or in short suck, Hang around the campfire hoping for a plot, in the rain, wich is rediculous rp to me anyway, what ever happened to taverns people, or go out and explore unexplored towns.

At my level i figured that hey im good enough to check out towns. Now with this new death system i cant even go shopping without worrying about bieng killed because NEWBIES get the tickets not LOWBIES!... and anyone of low level got the shortest end of the stick here.

My final note here is perhaps the most important. The more strict the rules, and the more grave death is the more rewards adventure should yeild. Use the full EXP bar if your going to have adventure be dangerous. NWN toned down EXP because there was so much combat at such a little detriment, you could rest and heal, as often as you wanted, and death meant nothing. If you must wait to rest, and it only heals a little, and death is semi-permanent, then grant more experience for killing monsters, make slaying that group of bandits feel like more than just one step of grinding.

That is just my opinon as a tabletop player feel free to tear it apart im sure you will

Comment

Agreed.

As the person who stumbled across his body, I completely agree. Though, I dont mind suffering through little xp for horrible consequences, to be perfectly honest.

Maybe put a .. "Warning: Bandits Ahead" sign, just so people know they're leaving town, and going into a dangerous area. Or some skulls on sticks with a description: "These heads are a clear marker that you should stay out." at that point, you can tell them they're screwed all you want. With every harsh rule should come checks and balances.

I know the system is new, and I'm more than willing to give it the patience it requires to be set into place, but the gem system should have been initiated weeks before the new death system, if only to make it work how it should from the beginning.

Just some friendly suggestions While trying to defend my friend here's opinion on things, as I am aware of the somewhat aggressive tendencies of a few of the staff members. Heh. I realize that there are some needed changes coming, I'll just keep my opinions rolling, wishing everyone the patience required for those changes to occur

Comment

These are all valid points but lets keep in mind Sundren is still in Beta. Impliment the system, evaluate the consequences to both game mechanics and player dynamics, adjust as required to balance. Just my .02

Comment

Working...
                                X