Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight - Death System Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight - Death System Overhaul

Yes, it's been long awaited but death system on Sundren will get another overhaul. Here is how it is changed:
    • Raise Dead, Ressurrection, and taking a body to the temple to be ressed will incur an experience hit. The loss has not been 100% decided yet but it will be in this order from greatest to least: Temple Res -> Raise Dead -> Ressurrection
    • Experience hit can de-level people.
    • Raise Dead/Ressurrection will both require a reagent gem to function. This gem will be purchaseable at temples, and faction standing will make it cheaper (Partly to encourage people to make clerics of gods in the realm very sneaky of us). This gem will be expensive, just a warning.
    • Temple ressurrection will require multiple gems to work, that the players must have in inventory. This is to give an opportunity to get a discount on the ressurrection by purchasing the gems.
    • The gems will go into the drop tables of loot and be possible to randomly find one (Saving you big bucks if you're lucky, or you can sell to other players).
    • Respawning will now require a Signus item. This is essentially a "Get out of death free" item. If you burn a Signus, you will recieve no penalty. DMs may reward them to players. Past that, we are discussing methods of awarding them.
    • New players start with three Signus items (Since it's harsh to watch newbies die).
    • Temples will all be verified as valid ressurrection points (Yes, even the Maskarrans)
    • DMs will still be able to ressurrect/raise dead without incurring a penalty to the player (They are free to impose one though afterwards )
    • Players entering the game after server reboot will get Etherealness for 60 seconds. This should give time to exit hostile areas if there was an unforeseen crash.

Reserved.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Just one question.

Originally posted by GodBeastX
      • New players start with three Signus items (Since it's harsh to watch newbies die).

Will all us non-newbies receive this grace at the start of this system as well?
      "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
      - Bertrand Russell

Comment

On the whole, I'm in favour of it. But... there are those times when people get killed by the nature of where they pop back into play after a server reset (Ah shit, I'm in the middle of x monsters, my party are gone, and my buffs have been dispelled by the reset) and (even worse) by entering an area and getting stomped by the 52,000 spawns that someone who ran through the place willy nilly has left at the transition.

Not an objection to a token system per-se, just a thought that getting killed is not always because people have been incautious... sometimes it is due to uncontrollable factors, or inconsiderate actions by other people! My current character is level 12 and has only been to the forest of eternal night twice (once because of someone higher level spawning tougher monsters on him when they appeared, and the other time because I deliberately did something supid; I just wanted to see the Vertias hold ), but I consider that lucky despite the fact that he is (generally)cautious.

Sometimes people really aren't at fault in their death, and did get killed by the evil nature of computers!

[Edit] Will respawning without a Signus item be possible, but just with penalty? If so then disregard the above comments
        I got one leg missin'
        How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
        Meet the Feebles

Comment

New thing tagged on the end.

Comment

Nice quick fix to Mal's point, GBX.
            -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

*Makes an additional suggestion*

Only a suggestion, but maybe it'd be good if people got an additional respawn token every level or two.
              I got one leg missin'
              How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
              Meet the Feebles

Comment

Added: Experience hit can de-level people. Not below three for obvious reasons.

Comment

This ought to also help with slowing growth. Especially for 15+ players who can't gain exp back easily.
                  ~ Sigrun Hael - Ranger of the Viridale

~ Aoden Haven - Former Swordcaptain

Comment

*gulps*

Actually I like it, because now im scared of dying, which i wasnt at all before. This is mostly due to the fact that on the nwn server i played you lost ALOT for dying. Kinda toughened me up I suppose.

Be a bitch to die past level 15 though huh. Adventures beware.

I assume these rules apply to deaths as a result of PvP too?

Ademant - Genasi with tainted blood
                    Raggard Haffee - Wild Dwarven Druid

Comment

Just an idea: how about reducing the XP penalty if you are rezzed by a cleric that has one of the "good" domains, especially healing but maybe also good, sun,.... It shouldn't reduce the penalty much, but a few percent might be a good idea. And evil domains might increase the penalty abit.

And even more i would suggest that the penalty is reduced if you rezzed by somebody who praises the same diety like you do.

Maybe 10% for the domain and (another) 10% for the diety?

Comment

No, but I might put a table of Diety conflicts in so people can't res people that their diety doesn't like... *Taps a finger to his lips*

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
                          No, but I might put a table of Diety conflicts in so people can't res people that their diety doesn't like... *Taps a finger to his lips*
                          *wonders where that evil laughter was comming from*

Comment

Just for clarification; does getting killed when out of signus items essentially mean permadeath (except when people are getting raised and so forth)?

If so, will players have the option to come back as a lich?
                            I got one leg missin'
                            How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                            Meet the Feebles

Comment

As I understand it, the Signus is to avoid the exp penalty, not allow the respawn.
                              ~ Sigrun Hael - Ranger of the Viridale

~ Aoden Haven - Former Swordcaptain

Comment

Working...
                              X