Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tonight - Death System Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machiavelli View Post
    Just for clarification; does getting killed when out of signus items essentially mean permadeath (except when people are getting raised and so forth)?

If so, will players have the option to come back as a lich?
    The only option at that point will be a DM raising you or another player. That's why the signus' will be coveted. Also we expect that the majority of players have more than one character so if there is a rare case where you are dead with no way of resurrecting you can still play.

It isn't permadeath but it's much more balanced. In all reality only carelessness would put you in that situation, as it would be uncommon for you to be stuck dead otherwise.

Depending on situation it might be possible to be raised automatically while in a town or city as someone would "find you". But obviously if you were in the middle of the woods only PCs would really ever find you.

And yes, the Signus raises you and incurs no XP penalty. They will be highly limited in supply.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

This might seem like a strange thing to be bringing up (though I'd say not). I'm hoping these signus things won't be pick-pocketable, it would be a nightmare to have them all pinched!
      I got one leg missin'
      How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
      Meet the Feebles

Comment

Does that mean that if I sell my first 3 signi I can get a huge amount of startup cash?
        Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

This system is a hell of a lot tougher than what is in place now, it should be very interesting. I can see the clear long term benefits. I now plan to not die, at all. At least I hope not.
          Names Taallic.

Only time can save the world now.
          Immortality is your last hope.
          For my existence to be true, Hell's Fire must burn hotter than Heaven's Cold Gates can stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelo View Post
            I assume these rules apply to deaths as a result of PvP too?
            Bump for emphasis, since it's an important question. Wil this apply to PvP deaths?

Overall, though, I'm very happy to see these changes. Death being light was irritating before -- now will be considerably better for story and character development, as an actual fear is there. I do predict that even after quests are in, it will be ages before anyone gets and stays above level 15.
            Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
            Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

Yes, this all applies to PVP as well. You have to consider what that means, however. DMs are notified of every PVP, and even though you killed a player, we might come in and reverse the tables Also, there's a such thing as revenge, so people might find that PVPing someone, only to be killed later by someone else might be a poor way to go out.

Death is death in the end.

Comment

I assume it counts for PvP deaths as well. That's why we have subdual.
                -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

Wouldnt something like this be better to start at Level 5? I would think this be horrible discourageing to new players. Low level mages and rogues die like crazy at early levels. This would essentially force them to delete their characters and remake if they died more than three times. At least if you wait till level 5 they have a chance to make some friends that might think they are worth the sum to raise them
                  Active Characters:
                  Tassafina Lightleaf - A little sneaky but not as sneaky as Ithil

Silivren Anar
                  Merka Gillina

Hideing outs:
                  Alyssa Swiftwing - Priestess of Yondalla
                  Ravenne Naur'Loki - Roar!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassafina View Post
                    Wouldnt something like this be better to start at Level 5? I would think this be horrible discourageing to new players. Low level mages and rogues die like crazy at early levels. This would essentially force them to delete their characters and remake if they died more than three times. At least if you wait till level 5 they have a chance to make some friends that might think they are worth the sum to raise them
                    "New players start with Signus items"

Essentially, because you're a lowbie, you shouldn't feel the need to die repeatedly. We're nice to people who figure out the encounters are rough, but that's about it. In a party it's not much of an issue. And you have to consider that there is still the RP exp every 10 minutes. Which I know has gotten more people past level 3 than you realize

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
                      "New players start with Signus items"
                      So existing PCs will not be getting these? Just curious.

Also a quick restatement of my question about whether people will be able to pick-pocket them... which would be not good
                      I got one leg missin'
                      How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                      Meet the Feebles

Comment

Well....i think i like the changes. At least they are realy worth a try. but there is one thing that makes me nervous: what happens with your corpse when the server crashes/restarts? Is still there afterwards so that somebody can still rez you. Or are you doomed till a DM shows some mercy (if you don't have such a Signus)?

And what happens when you play with another charcter or just swith to RL because you have given up hope after 30 minutes? How can you be rezzed when you are not there? I don't think you can expect people to stay online for hours hoping for somebody to find their corpse and bring it to a temple.

Or am i missing somethign?

Comment

Originally posted by Machiavelli View Post
                          So existing PCs will not be getting these? Just curious.

Also a quick restatement of my question about whether people will be able to pick-pocket them
                          They feel more OOC than IC, I will likely set them no pick pocket. Although people will likely be able to sell them to other players if they want I might make a check though to see if they are dropped anywhere so they get destroyed (No muling).

Edit:

Actually, not tradeable either. Ignore that above.

Comment

Originally posted by Maevan2 View Post
                            Well....i think i like the changes. At least they are realy worth a try. but there is one thing that makes me nervous: what happens with your corpse when the server crashes/restarts? Is still there afterwards so that somebody can still rez you. Or are you doomed till a DM shows some mercy (if you don't have such a Signus)?
                            I'm pretty sure your corpse gets respawned when you pick the "Check corpse status" option with the essence of night. Not 100% on this though.
                            I got one leg missin'
                            How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                            Meet the Feebles

Comment

not tradable! outrageous! lol

EDIT: can they be dropped?
                              Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Originally posted by rustediron View Post
                                not tradable! outrageous! lol
                                You'd have to be a lunatic to sell them anyway by the sounds of things.
                                I got one leg missin'
                                How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                                Meet the Feebles

Comment

Working...
                                X