Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update Released

This is mostly a bugfix release, a few minor fixes and updates to existing areas.

- Starting area has been moved to the Gate of the Sunderer, introduction is shorter
    - New encounters added around the Gate/Valley area, along with new loot tables
    - Dark Advent crypt has had custom loot tables updated for NPCs and containers

Of note I have modified the functionality of two spells:

- Implosion cannot be resisted by death ward. This brings Implosion back in line with its functionality in NWN1. (+3 DC bonus has been removed)
    - Undeath to Death can only affect undead PCs which are a lower level than you, regular creatures are not restricted by level.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Originally posted by Saulus
    - Implosion cannot be resisted by death ward. This brings Implosion back in line with its functionality in NWN1.
    Any particular reason why it's important to emulate NWN1 effects with spell mechanics?

Comment

Originally posted by The Almight Red View Post
      Any particular reason why it's important to emulate NWN1 effects with spell mechanics?
      Because in many cases it was a more hardcore ruleset.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I noticed the Veritas have a much higher AC now.

If the intent was to provide a deterrent to single, powerful individuals to go and smack them around without a group... I think I can attest that it is working very well.
        Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Zoberraz View Post
          I noticed the Veritas have a much higher AC now.

If the intent was to provide a deterrent to single, powerful individuals to go and smack them around without a group... I think I can attest that it is working very well.

lol...if you don't have spells or at least a +35 AB...best to avoid the bosses even if in a good-sized group. No idea what armor the Corporals are wearing now...but I want a set. I was missing on rolls in the lower 40s (not bad at all with no shield).
          Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
          Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
          Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
          Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
          Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
          Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
          "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
            Because in many cases it was a more hardcore ruleset.
            Figured emulating PnP ruleset would be more in line. Almost makes Death Ward obsolete if it doesn't counter one of the strongest instant death spell.
            Does this affect Berserker Frenzy too ?
            Raman Aseph - Runescarred Berserker
            http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Raman_Aseph

Comment

Originally posted by MadSeer View Post
              Figured emulating PnP ruleset would be more in line. Almost makes Death Ward obsolete if it doesn't counter one of the strongest instant death spell.
              Does this affect Berserker Frenzy too ?
              Death ward is supposed to allow you to be immune to direct death attacks. Also if it's obsolete I can just remove it if that's what everyone thinks.

In implosion it is the vortex, not the caster that kills. It was one of the few cases where you can't be immune to the death effect. No other spells have been modified with the exception of implosion in this regard.

George Carlin

Comment

That's just the thought of a silly french canadian. But I just checked on the spell and figures it makes sense, since it's a "destructive resonance that makes a creature collapse on itself."
                However, in NwN2, Implosion is a lot more powerful than in PnP and Death Ward might have it's place in warding against it. In PnP it's one creature per round, for a maximum of four rounds of concentration. In NwN2 it's instant death for every creature in the radius.
                Raman Aseph - Runescarred Berserker
                http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Raman_Aseph

Comment

Seriously, the Veritas corporals have over AC 40?

Eww. I mean, Maia is a level 20 ranger, with a +3 to hit longbow, weapon focus and a +6 Dex modifier... so, her best is +30, or +22 if she's using Manyshot (ranged power attack equivalent, but multiple arrows instead of single-attack increased damage). Her odds to hit with her best attacks pretty much go from 50%/50%/25%/nil/nil or with Manyshot 10%/10%/nil/nil/nil.

If Maia is a level 20, I'd hate to think about how the characters whom were in the Veritas target audience (12-17) manage with that.

Also, in regards to Implosion, it would seem like the two real defenses remaining against it are greater resistance and spell mantles.

...why do I have the sinking impression Vraer and some of those Myrkulite vampire priests are going to start using Implosion in the near future? ^_^;
                  Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

Lowest is always 5% on attack unless they have concealment.

Comment

Implosion would have been changed long ago if I knew death ward was providing immunity to it, and the Veritas are going to continue being tweaked.

People were massively farming the area and getting good XP from high CR but low stat NPCs.

The fact that there are so many prompt replies to the changes tells me it was indeed a popular farming destination.

George Carlin

Comment

Are undead/vampires now also affected by Implosion?
                        Originally posted by ThePaganKing
                        So, the roguethree bootlickers strike again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen View Post
                          Are undead/vampires now also affected by Implosion?
                          Seeing as their immunity before was from death immunity, the same thing death ward provides... Yes.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Zoberraz View Post
                            ...why do I have the sinking impression Vraer and some of those Myrkulite vampire priests are going to start using Implosion in the near future? ^_^;
                            Oh, Vraer already started that. Even before this 'bug' was fixed, Death Ward didn't save you from a DM cast Implosion.

Question. Has the +3 increase to the DC on Implosion already been removed for this server? It'd certainly make sense to, considering it's entirely unnecessary.

I have to admit, it's pretty dumb that clerics have a more powerful form of insta-death than wizards, now. Wail of the Banshee is protected by Death Ward. Implosion is not. Wail of the Banshee is a straight Fortitude DC. Implosion is a Fortitude DC with +3 added onto it (been documented on official NWN2 forums, and tested by many people including myself).

Frankly, I'd say rip the spell out if you're going to do this. Do clerics really need more power than they already have?

C'mon.

At the very least, get rid of that automatic +3 to DC on Implosion, if it hasn't been done already.

Comment

In my opinion, I am a little wary of Implosion in this game getting around death ward. It is true that in real D&D, Implosion is not considered a death effect, and thus death ward does not stop it. The spell creates a destructive resonance in any corporeal target that causes them to collapses in on itself, like too much pressure being applied to something sinking under water. Anything with a structure can be effected, including constructs, noncorporeal undead, and the like. If it has a real body, it can be "crushed" in essence.

The reason I am wary is that in pnp, a spell of this magnitude of power only effects a single target, unlike our version which creates an small area of effect vortex that can knock out an entire group if it is standing close enough. The direct reading of the pnp spell says that it effects one target per round, for four rounds, and you cannot re-target someone who has already saved. This is significantly more balanced than an area of effect Implosion, plus subsequent rounds of Implosion must be concentrated on, meaning the caster is essentially casting single target Implosion each round for four rounds, and nothing else.

I think if we are going to keep it as a kill spell that gets around death wards and destroys undead and constructs, we should at least make it a single target spell. A spell like this also only makes clerics stronger in the end. I know we love to try and make things as close to pnp as possible around here, but I think there are some things that don't mesh very well with nwn2 in those regards.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

EDIT: I didn't know about the automatic +3 to DC in the spell. In that case we should definitely tweak this spell some more, or things could get really out of hand with our high level clerics and favored souls. =/
                              The poetry that comes from the squaring off between;
                              and the circling is worth it, finding beauty in the dissonance.

Comment

Working...
                              X