Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update 12/11/2007 - 1.11 Patch and a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently in D&D, when you are invis, you have invis like the movie "The Predator" where you still cause distortions in the area, or maybe you have effect on environment. So Invis is a DC 20 spot. You can only tell someone is there in the PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
      Apparently in D&D, when you are invis, you have invis like the movie "The Predator" where you still cause distortions in the area, or maybe you have effect on environment. So Invis is a DC 20 spot. You can only tell someone is there in the PHB.
      An excellent film; I'd always viewed concealment as being more like the "predator effect", but then again the last PHB/DMG I owned was 2nd ed.
      I got one leg missin'
      How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
      Meet the Feebles

Comment

Well,

When using stealth, I usually roll my hide and move silently so people know that I am trying to be stealthy. It seems to work fine and people roleplay it well and it cuts down on abuse issues.

As for HIPS, I party with a number of people with HIPS and it does or used to work. Sometimes I could see them and sometimes I couldn't, based on their hide and my listen and spot.

Comment

Okay, many people are reporting Stealth and HiPS are working. To Stealth you have to be out of view, either behind a placeable flagged to block line of sight (Most aren't flagged to right now), in another map, or behind a wall or something. Then you can stealth without HiPS and that works. HiPS apparently is working fine too.

Invis is bugged, so people who invis will have to roll their MS still. I let Rob McGnome know, so we'll see if invis gets fixed in the future.

Comment

This just in.

Stealth is not bugged, it's working as it should.

The problem is largely in setting and flagging placeables and objects to block line of sight in the toolset.

Breaking line of sight is how you stealth.

:Edit:

Bah, beat me to the punch, GibEx!
            "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
            - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX
              - Hide in Plain Sight for Shadow Dancers now requires level 4 instead of 1
              Well, now there is really no reason at all to take SD if your a rogue. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by zkeleton View Post
                Well, now there is no really no reason at all to take SD if your a rogue. Oh well.
                Because you can't powerbuild now and exploit the fact that they get it at level 1? Durrr.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Yeah, /agree saulus, I made the change so people who only take it for the 1 level will be unhappy, so now they're unhappy People who go deep into SD for the class, don't really lose anything.

Comment

\o/ Good stuff!

Quick question GBX, when a character moves normally behind an object and gets the blacked out appearance, is that an indication that that placeable is flagged to block line of sight or is that completely arbitrary?

Also regarding stealth, no one hold their breath, but on the preliminary fix list for 1.12 its noted that they want to add animations for stealthed characters finally. Doubt it, but good to see they didn't forget it either.

See here for the visuals on that.
                    ~ Sigrun Hael - Ranger of the Viridale

~ Aoden Haven - Former Swordcaptain

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                      Because you can't powerbuild now and exploit the fact that they get it at level 1? Durrr.

Are there any plans to nerf any other classes to try and curb powerbuilding?

Though I slightly dislike the SD class, finding it underpowered, it seemed natural that the first ability you get when taking tha class ties directly into the fluff of it. Exploit? Naw... It is appropriate for the class. In fact, I think most to all receive a class-defining skill upon taking the first level. *shrugs*

On the topic of exploiting a single class lvl for benefits, are there any others that our overlords deem inappropriate? I have seveal character ideas i'm tossing around that only have me dipping into 1 or two levels. Far from powerbuilds, but backstory supportive.

BTW, love the new area designs. A nice change.
                      Dashmin "Dash" Fleetfoot
                      Strongheart Halfling

Burglar turned Wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by dashminus View Post
                        Are there any plans to nerf any other classes to try and curb powerbuilding?

Though I slightly dislike the SD class, finding it underpowered, it seemed natural that the first ability you get when taking tha class ties directly into the fluff of it. Exploit? Naw... It is appropriate for the class. In fact, I think most to all receive a class-defining skill upon taking the first level. *shrugs*

On the topic of exploiting a single class lvl for benefits, are there any others that our overlords deem inappropriate? I have seveal character ideas i'm tossing around that only have me dipping into 1 or two levels. Far from powerbuilds, but backstory supportive.

BTW, love the new area designs. A nice change.
                        Classes aren't getting nerfed but despite the fact that this is a roleplay server some people like to ignore that and create powerbuilds. I won't mention the player but there is literally someone walking around as a half-orc with a scythe and a tower shield who is a weapon master. It just makes me sick, I feel like banning someone like that on sight.

There is absolutely no roleplay consideration at all, it's purely trying to maximize every stat available to give them a benefit. All the stats are usually maxed out with dump stats being wisdom, intelligence, and cha... which usually players like that don't roleplay appropriately (IE talking normal with under 9 int).

If it was a nerf it would make the class weaker or remove a feature, instead we're stopping people from more exploits.

Take RDD for example, how many people actually have full bard or sorcerer levels before taking it? Close to none. I see people take 1 level just to meet the requirements.

Players actions and attitudes are what forces us to make these changes seeing as we no longer have a full application process. Some people take too much liberty with things.

Anyway, back to on topic which is about the patch.
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I have a stealth question and wonder if the patch changed it. I thought with stealth, you had to basically begin the stealth before creatures/characters could see you and then you would stay in stealth until they detected you or you took an action that brought you out of stealth?

I tend to hide behind something or around a corner, go in stealth, then sneak up to them, sometimes in an open area, and attack or just sneak past them and this has worked in the past.

So, when you said line of sight, is that at the initial onset of stealth or the whole time you are stealthed. By the way, this question is for stealth, no HIPS.

And I agree and have always agreed that HIPS should be deeper into the SD class instead of at level one. Look at the Invisible blade, you only get 1 pt of AC per level, so taking only one level in it would be stupid anyway. So why should you get HIPS, which is a very powerful ability, at the onset of a class?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganKing View Post
                            And I agree and have always agreed that HIPS should be deeper into the SD class instead of at level one. Look at the Invisible blade, you only get 1 pt of AC per level, so taking only one level in it would be stupid anyway. So why should you get HIPS, which is a very powerful ability, at the onset of a class?
                            Well, a 1st lvl IB also gets Bleeding Wound, which, can be extremely usesful also for people who have multiple attacks. Hardly something to scoff at.

Oh, and on-topic, did you replace the loss of HiPS with anything? Or is the first lvl of SD void of any benefit at all?
                            Dashmin "Dash" Fleetfoot
                            Strongheart Halfling

Burglar turned Wizard.

Comment

You don't lose HiPS, you get it a later level, just like every other class that has it (ranger, assassin). We didn't do anything to make the class worse.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganKing View Post
                                I have a stealth question and wonder if the patch changed it. I thought with stealth, you had to basically begin the stealth before creatures/characters could see you and then you would stay in stealth until they detected you or you took an action that brought you out of stealth?

I tend to hide behind something or around a corner, go in stealth, then sneak up to them, sometimes in an open area, and attack or just sneak past them and this has worked in the past.

So, when you said line of sight, is that at the initial onset of stealth or the whole time you are stealthed. By the way, this question is for stealth, no HIPS.

You don't know what Line of Sight means?

Comment

Working...
                                X