Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server Wipe and Re-opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had plenty of human characters who've grown up during the events of the server, they've found ways to fit it into their characters and RP without breaking the world. Likewise I'm sure that the thimbleful of Sundren native elven children who went through their formative years during current events will be able to do so without causing meta-nonsense to make heads implode.

Just keep in mind the starting level and expectations and work from there. If your worried your new characters past might be an issue then discuss it with the staff, it's what we're here for.

Otherwise, as Hades says players are encouraged to write the closing chapters of their own characters stories, it's just better that way. They don't need to have died, left or been kidnapped by aliens, they could be happily retired, settled own or simply lost in a hobby. Whatever the reason the end result is the same; they're no longer appearing in this show. Just don't write other people's exits (unless asked).

As to the timeframe, 50 years keeps it manageable. It's a relatable timeframe that allows us to respect the events that our players were involved in yet keep enough distance to make changes.

If the jump were 200 years then we loose that feeling for around 95%+ of the character population (for example it's easier for us to relate to what was going on in 1966 than it is to relate to 1816). Not too mention all the extra workload of progressing a mostly human society forward by 200 years and all the changes that would likely entail.

Resets or reboots? No. It might work sometimes for films or books, but for a collaborative medium like this a reset is frankly an insult to those who've ever been involved up to that point.

We do understand that the elf and dwarf players might have a little more difficulty in working out character issues, but we're happy to work with people on those (or any other) issues.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

Nezzerscape, I had the same issue with Chime. Do I feel like she would have contributed to Sundren over the next 50 year? I do, but I had no idea what to say she did. I personally felt like she would have done tons for the church of Sune and continued to nettle the Black Hand and a few other groups throughout the years. But what exactly would she have done? I have no idea.
      GMT -9

Comment

When I was thinking of a possible end for Kyle Rendell, I was just going to write that he died alone in his death bed with regret that he never did anything worthy of the title Greatest Swordsman in Sundren, and was soon forgotten. But then I read The Turning of Seasons posts by Grinning Death that ties up loose ends of notable PCs such as Dryn Stonewhisperer, Hashart Datton, Evelyn Meriadoc, and I thought it was pretty cool. So I decided to let the DMs help me write the most likely end for Kyle Rendell. I sent a help request to the DMs that I wanted one last duel with Vaer Vitori(someone who my character considers a equal in swordsmanship, and has wanted to duel for a long time). I was afraid I would be bias and wanted the DMs to decide the most likely outcome of such a battle, and then they could tie in Kyle to the story of Blackwood if they wanted to. Grinning Death was kind enough to help me in area. I gotta say he did a beautiful job writing the end to Kyle, and it was much more interesting than what I had in mind. He did all the work too, so much Kudos to Grinning Death for all the help to a wonderful end story of Kyle Rendell.
        "Thanks is best given in the form of gold." -Kyle Rendell

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
          Resets or reboots? No. It might work sometimes for films or books, but for a collaborative medium like this a reset is frankly an insult to those who've ever been involved up to that point.
          Just to be clear, I meant no insult. I am just trying to figure out how to address a few toons that would be in their mid 20s now and that was just a thought.

Nez
          Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
          Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
          Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
          Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

And I'm sure Doubtful didn't take it that way. He's just explaining why we chose not to do a full reset/reboot.

Anyone is perfectly free to send me a request for their character to have an ending if they were a high ranking member or influential PC in a particular faction. All of the PC's that I've written about have been maxed out in their rep for a decently long time, or were integral in the development of a new faction (such as the Daughters of Whiteflame).

And even if your PC wasn't a high ranking member of a faction, I am willing to write a short ending for your PC to be posted on the forums. Also, apologies to a few of you who have sent such requests to me, I'll get them done this week or you can sic Doubtful on me.
            "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Don't worry Nezzerscape, I didn't take it as an insult, nor did I believe you meant it as one. I've just very low opinions of resets is all. Better to break new ground than tread the same path as before, even if it is tread differently.
              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Handsomeman View Post
                I was afraid I would be bias and wanted the DMs to decide the most likely outcome of such a battle, and then they could tie in Kyle to the story of Blackwood if they wanted to. Grinning Death was kind enough to help me in area. I gotta say he did a beautiful job writing the end to Kyle, and it was much more interesting than what I had in mind. He did all the work too, so much Kudos to Grinning Death for all the help to a wonderful end story of Kyle Rendell.
                Kyle's ending was pure gold.
                UTC+8
                Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't trying to complain or anything when I wrote my response to Nez. I was just trying to say, (badly) that I understand her confusion on the whole " how did your toon end thing." It is really cool of you to help people find endings to their stories GD.
                  GMT -9

Comment

It would be really really cool to see Npcs of who all did built so much and invested so much time, like Dryn in his hold, Chime and River in aquor, an 80 year old Hashart in Sestra with a walking cane. it would be really neat

Comment

Originally posted by jarlexel View Post
                      ...an 80 year old Hashart in Sestra with a walking cane. it would be really neat
                      "Fear me!"

Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
                      Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
                      Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
                      Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

GD, any update from the staff on the server progress to sate the masses? It was awesome reading your other one.

Comment

Ha ha! That is Great Nez!
                          Active Characters
                          Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
                          Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
                          Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
                          Dorin Hammond- Scout
                          Seith Ronson- Master of War
                          "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
                          Socrates
                          sigpic

Comment

and you can have a new lich in the enclave named Sandro

Comment

Originally posted by zypherman View Post
                              GD, any update from the staff on the server progress to sate the masses? It was awesome reading your other one.

The majority of the previous list is nearing completion.

Everyone dev side has been working around the clock to push the new chapter of Sundren out. I suggest everyone send a few shoutouts thanking them for their hardwork in the kudos thread, they definitely deserve it. It's a lot of work when you have a limited pool of devs and even less free time.

If you wish to send your positive spirit energy in, Doubt needs your help collecting as much as he can to stop the pesky editor bugs!

Comment

Working...
                              X