Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Stat Bonuses are Appropriate for Items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saves get ridiculously high with buffs. Kaizen with his 32 wisdom used to run a 34 will save.

Drop a mord's (i'll get 9 with kelik) and watch those saves drop back down to 15ish. but that's class mechanics, I'm derailing this thread...

back on point, i think items should not be on par with certain buff spells so they are not made useless ... but then again, there are a lot of buff spells that do more then just stat bonuses. So +6 isnt so bad.

I do think there should be more + skill items out there, though.
    Originally posted by ThePaganKing
    So, the roguethree bootlickers strike again.

Comment

One of the reasons i like this server is because of the low stat bonuses.

+3 works well in most cases.

Where it does not work is the stat bonus for resistance in the case of non-casters. I feel individual resistance (will, reflex, fort) item bonuses should be bumped to +6. If they do exist above +3, i have not seen any. I would also add a magical encumbrance thats equal to the item resistance. (i.e. if a character was wearing a +4 ring of Will and a neckless of +2 Universal, a magical encumbrance of 10 would be added to the total weight being carried.) The magical encumbrance would only take effect when warn. In this way a character based on strength would benefit the most.

I also believe in the autocratic(DM's) decision making process of the server. I would rather play on a unique and challenging server, then just a popular place to be.

p.s. Falmari, thanks for the magical boost on Mitee the Fighter. It was a glorious day. Mitee was able to defeat the orc camp single handed.

Comment

I would like to see stuff that boost skill points..Like a Ring of the Historian +3 to KOL,KOH,KOR or something.

Comment

Some of that stuff exists, but needs recipes...
          Again, off-topic though. Before ghostly sheep children come to unleash their wrath.

Comment

Buffed falmari runs about with 34 will, 32 reflex and 37 fortitude at level 16 (even though he is dead).

Its pretty hard to beat someone has who has at least one save boost. imo Bards are almost impossible to enchant!
            Originally posted by roguethree
            If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Personally I believe +4 or +5, maybe +6 would be best. The game is supposed to be balanced for that. (there are a couple things NWN2 does that unbalances it, like maxing rolls for hit dice or being able to run in fully buffed. Also most PnP dungeon crawls I know of have decent periods in between fights so a minute long buff is still generally just an encounter buff which you can't really do with a video game). But in general that's what the spells and monsters are balanced with. Lacking those nerfs fighter and rogue types.
              Lasala'ariira-A Woman Scorned.
              Chara Smith-Bio Here

Meram- Yes she's a shifty Hin, but she's still not going to pickpocket, daylight robbery is much more profitable.
              "The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
              -General George S. Patton

Comment

in my opinion magic users will always have the advantage against melee characters at higher lvls. if you are trying to keep balance between a melee class character and a spell class character past level 15, while still maintaining a lower than average magic setting server, i think that would be impossible. but with more and more players getting to and maybe past lvl 20 these days. i guess there will be demand for better gears. with that being said. i think that items should follow the same basic guidelines from the items you find in nwn2's 1st campaign (something like lvl 3-6 +1, 7-10 +2, 11-14 +3, 15-18 +4). +5 max on stats, ab, ac, and saves for characters close to lvl 20. skills can go higher. though +5 shouldnt be easy to obtain by any means. for the one or two epic characters maybe +6 for dm given quests. the only problem i see with this is players giving lower level characters +5 gear. i have been guilty of giving like a lvl 6 character a +3 item before.

so i guess my opinion on this poll is +5 for non epic high level characters. +6 for epic characters.
                "Thanks is best given in the form of gold." -Kyle Rendell

Comment

Originally posted by Handsomeman View Post
                  in my opinion magic users will always have the advantage against melee characters at higher lvls. if you are trying to keep balance between a melee class character and a spell class character past level 15, while still maintaining a lower than average magic setting server, i think that would be impossible. but with more and more players getting to and maybe past lvl 20 these days. i guess there will be demand for better gears. with that being said. i think that items should follow the same basic guidelines from the items you find in nwn2's 1st campaign (something like lvl 3-6 +1, 7-10 +2, 11-14 +3, 15-18 +4). +5 max on stats, ab, ac, and saves for characters close to lvl 20. skills can go higher. though +5 shouldnt be easy to obtain by any means. for the one or two epic characters maybe +6 for dm given quests. the only problem i see with this is players giving lower level characters +5 gear. i have been guilty of giving like a lvl 6 character a +3 item before.

so i guess my opinion on this poll is +5 for non epic high level characters. +6 for epic characters.
                  Well said and likewise I have also been caught giving a lvl6 character a magical weapon before; which I later regretted when she continued to advance to a higher level than the PC that had given it to her.
                  Some people are always going to do dumb shit (likely me) but that doesnt mean very good items shouldn't be available, just perhaps in very limited supply!
                  Originally posted by roguethree
                  If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

+4 base, +5 from a DM.

Same for armour and weapons, and the enchantment bonus on the weapon should not be a basis to change other bonuses (for example, you shouldn't have a +1 weapon with +3d6 Fire damage and a +4 weapon with only +1 Fire damage, due to casters just equipping the +1 weapon and making it +5.)

Magic users can already easily get their hands on +4 from level 3, and can get +6 in many stats as well. And they get their hands on spells to boost their AB and damage above and beyond fighters to go with it.

More gear to bring non-magic-melee closer to the CoDzilla's or gishes can't be bad. Items to cast Greater Resistance would be nice, too (since +5 save items would just stack with Greater Resistance cast by a Cleric to make them even more immune to any save effect.)
                    Running across the mountains, attacking with an oversized scalpel, cometh Helga Great-Wyrm! And she gives a mighty bellow:
                    "Brace yourself, oh human speck of dust! You are made of meat and I am very hungry!"

Comment

+3 is enough. We don't want near godly items out there. Takes the fun away.

Comment

Working...
                      X