Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patch Notes (Sundren V0.70)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, the mining bit is not THAT complex

Comment

So Juggra can tunnel through a mountain, but he'll be stuck behind a massive pile of rocks trying to get out I assume.
      Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
      Cybil Gelley (Retired)
      Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

This stuff is awesome Kaeldorn! How exactly does the crafting fatigue work?
        sigpic
        Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

There are still a few bugs in the system that I want to fix before writing a guide/how everything works. Fatigue is supposed to drop one point per day. At 50 and 75 you get penalties to con, dex, str and concentration, and you can never go above 100 fatigue.

Comment

Looks like an interesting system, its a shame I dont have a character that would ever dream of mining outside of being paid for it.

Guess we'll see more 'Snow Whites' with a heavy entourage of dwarves following behind! There are lots of places that could potentially have minable sources as well. Cant wait to see how the new crafting system shapes into this and how the other gathering professions work
            Originally posted by roguethree
            If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Mining is uber fun, it actually gives a good in character reason to go hacking through stuff now.

Only thing that seems a bit harsh is that you build up maybe 8 points of fatigue from mining one vein of ore and in a single area... well i accumulated 22 points of fatigue in the last couple hours and got not a huge amount of stuff for it.

1 point recovery per day!

That's rough.
              If honour is truth and a lie is respect, then a secret is sacred.
              Confide in me my friend and I shall love you like no other.

Comment

Maybe an adjustment could later be made for 1 point recovery per Constitution modifier?

Sure would helps making dwarves great miners.
                Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

Is this one point per Real Life day or In Game Day?

I need a saw?
                  sigpic
                  Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

There's already an adjustment, but it's calculated into the fatigue cost. If you examine the ore vein you see the natural cost it takes to get ONE 10 second go at a vein, you substract your con+str modifiers combined from that number to a minimum of 1 (and because mining and woodcutting show a +1, add 1 to that, making for a minimum of 2 per hit on a vein). Base only - spells and items don't help - in order to keep warriors with high natural physical stats on top of the food chain for gathering skills. As all veins have 4 'stages' to work on them, the minimum of fatigue lost per whole vein is 8. The highest stage has the best rates for granting ore and gems. And higher DC, higher fatigue cost veins give a better chance at getting better gems.

The limited amount you can mine without crossing your fatigue limits is this high to keep the economy in check. Resources are limited, so you should price your earnings like they are. Let those crafters pay dearly for what you find so that they can't afford to artificially keep their selling prices high to get all the profits. (if they sell for too much, they won't get buyers).

The resetting is currently bugged, however. I think I might have managed to fix it, but can't be sure yet.

And yes, it's one point per real life day. A saw will be added in the next server reset.

Comment

So, this means that the current setup allows for a minimum of 2 fatigue points to be accumulated for a 10 second of mining which may or may not pay off. That fatigue takes two whole days to go away and that's in the best of circumstances.

Meaning that Juggra, whom accumulated 50ish fatigue point while trying this out, is going to take fifty real life days to recover.

Is this really the kind of pacing you meant to impose for resource gathering, Kaeldorn? It leaves me feeling a little incredulous over how it seems to be paced. I mean... poor Juggra, stuck waiting 50 days. ~_~

Comment

You should realize that anything gained this way is profit over people who can't mine the veins at all. I might increase the amount of ore gained per tick for the cheaper variants of veins to make mining them more worthwhile with the lower chance of getting gems. (edit: just did this, expect to get more out of iron, copper, silver and cold iron veins)

However, at higher stages it's easy to earn big money off of it. 3 mithral ores and a 5000 gp gem for 16 fatigue isn't unimaginable. And nobody is forced to burn all his fatigue at once! It's strictly optional to do that. The number 50 is attainable without penalties because the best enchantments cost 50 fatigue at once. To keep them rare and something to gape in awe at rather than go.. "oh, another guy with a +3 sword" *yawn*. If you get the idea

Lowering the fatigue restrictions only means that either earnings per attempt have to decrease (inevitably leaving it more to luck) and/or that requirements to make stuff need to be increased and the value of each ore/gem lowered. While miners might get to have more goes at the veins that way, the effect is essentially the same.

I may also let constitution have some effect on shrugging off fatigue in shorter times, but then it'd be more in the order of 1 hour per con modifier, not a whole day. I don't want to punish people for picking elves over dwarves as crafters.

Comment

huh... so what I gather the fatigue is figured based off str and con? I think mining is a skill too yes?

perhaps you can give example of what would happen to someone with a str/con of 14?
                          blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
                          Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
                          I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

Say, a vein has a cost of 7+1 fatigue per 'go' at it.

Someone with 14 str and con will get that value lessened by 4, making a cost of 7-4 +1 = 4 fatigue. Going through the entire vein (4 attempts) implies a cost of 16 then.

I think mithral veins have a 10+1 cost. So essentially a group of 4 cooperating dwarves (3 miners and a smith) with 18 con and 14 str could easily produce a mithral full plate (10 mithral ingots) every 3 weeks while getting some gems on the side.

Comment

I think I see where you're coming from, Kael. I've also a better understanding of why you've implemented that way considering the behind-the-scenes logistics too.

One part I personally found worrisome was where you could have a character experimenting with his mining skill, end up with a very high fatigue granting him sizeable ability score penalties, and be stuck with that for up to three months.

Another was on how, well, underwhelming it could be to accompagny a miner (or any other resource collector) in a zone, see him work on a resource node and after 10 seconds get a "Okay, I'm done for today!" Then again I suppose, like changing armor/outfits, that people could just roleplay it out however they please.

Hopefully, documentation both in and out of game will help people investing in those skills know what they are getting into to avoid heedless mishaps.

I wonder how long it'll take for the server to have a slew of newer crafting/resource gathering characters crop up. I mean, it'll likely be a necessity for everyone interested in partaking in that because... well, none (okay, maybe a rare few) of the more established characters (namely the level 15s) aren't going to have the ability anytime soon to use the new features.

Comment

so fatigue actually decreases stats that can take almost a month to recover?... I thought you just built up fatigue then had to wait for it to decrease before you can mine more.

15s might not be able to use all the features but when the cap goes to 20 they might be able to take skills/feats to use them then.
                                blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
                                Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
                                I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

Working...
                                X