Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Server (9/24/15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Server (9/24/15)

Hello, everyone.

Over the last few months, I've seen a lot of forum communication and received several PMs asking about what shape Sundren and its staff are in, whether players can expect a renewed commitment from the development and DM teams, and so on. We've met as a team, discussed the interest we've seen expressed from players and what level of work we'd need to accomplish to feel energized about the server again, and decided that yes, we do has what it takes, we do has the five bucks to get this place going again.

In order to do this, we will be moving the timeline forward (amount of years TBD) to justify purging the character vaults. Some of you will be bummed to lose your PCs, and we'll be offering a number of retirement options to soften the blow (TBA when finalized). We're doing this for a few reasons:

1. We're moving the level cap back. Current projection is a soft 15 (monsters, RP XP) and a hard 20 (advancement quests, DM XP). Rather than delevel existing PCs, it's much easier to start with new.

2. We're untangling snarled story threads. Moving the timeline and clearing out old PCs lets us start fresh and gives more PCs an opportunity to get involved in what's going on.

3. We're redoing item balance. A new cap means new item standards, and this will get rid of all of the old items we don't want running around anymore.

So what are we doing that you can look forward to?

1. Finished crafting. All recipes will be functional, all materials will be accessible through drops, nodes, and stores. Crafting will be a reliable way to keep your character competitively equipped.

2. Class improvements. Look for further boosts to Rogues, Barbarians, and a host of prestige classes.

3. Faction reorganization. Factions will be based around the four major cities (Sundren City, Port Avanthyr, Aquor, Sestra).

4. Competitive faction control points. We're developing a system that will allow factions to dynamically compete for control of certain areas. Capturing these areas will be a means to increase faction reputation and will provide access to special stores, crafting resource nodes, and even dungeons.

5. Deeper dungeons. You thought killing the Goblin Chief was the end of it? Think again.

When's all of this going to be ready?
    January 2016 is our target to have crafting ready to go, the factions reorganized, and our new storyboard in place. When all of that is "go," we'll announce our glorious victory, cleanse the vault, and hit the ground running. The other development points will be ongoing and may already be partially or entirely in place prior to the vault cleanse.

What can I do to help?
    Do you code? Do you build? We would love extra hands to help us with development tasks and potential area building projects.

We're grateful for your comments, concerns, and general feedback, and we're excited to bring this place back to life for everyone to enjoy!

I like this post. Wait, no.

"Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Yaaaaass

Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
      Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
      Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
      Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
      Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
      Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

Yay!!!
        Active Characters
        Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
        Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
        Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
        Dorin Hammond- Scout
        Seith Ronson- Master of War
        "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
        Socrates
        sigpic

Comment

Wooooo!!!!
          We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

Sounds great!
            Cheers!

Comment

Oh yeah!

Comment

Sounds pretty neat

Comment

Hah! and here I thought I had finally gotten out of the cycle of addiction that is Sundren. Better brush off my install discs this christmas!
                  My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
                  Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Comment

Hell yeah!
                    Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus
                      1. Finished crafting. All recipes will be functional, all materials will be accessible through drops, nodes, and stores. Crafting will be a reliable way to keep your character competitively equipped.
                      Implement this alone and I would find time to play again

The soft level cap of 15 would be pretty awesome too. The retardation of leveling was one of the things that originally attracted me to Sundren.

As for suggestions, I think everyone here knows my stance on re-balancing of magic heh heh.
                      UTC+8
                      Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                      Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Magic isn't unbalanced, unless you mean it's more useful in NWN2 then in traditional DnD, in which case it is a little unbalanced, in favor of the magic users. I've played three clerics, two spirit shamans, a druid, a sorceror, and a wizard all to at least 16 if not up to 20, and can say without a doubt, magic is pretty ok right where it is. To be honest, I don't see anything that NEEDS to be done with any of the caster classes in any real way, they are already fairly balanced. In fact, except for a few changes to help finish out balancing up the non-casters, class balance in general is probably the best on our server over any other server.

I, personally, am excited to see the crafting system be implemented along with the new faction system. I think a lot of interesting RP will be had with a host of new characters with fresh city-based factions to help push new storylines and get away from this "Good vs. evil, but only one side is ever strong at a time because 90% of people are playing neutral fence sitters." City vs. city will let us see good guys and bad guys working together to fight OTHER good guys and bad guys, because they want their city to win, more than they hate one another.
                        Tigen Amastacia: Died in events so you didn't have to.

Quintin Ulsteris: Nice-guy Legion engineer, deceased son of House Ulsteris.

Clandriel Cain: AKA "Fire-eyes" AKA "Demon hunter" AKA "OH MY GOD, WHY IS HE STILL STABBING ME!!??"

Comment

There are indeed a few caster archetypes that are quite powerful. Buffing and Shapechanging into a Horned Devil, buffed Eldritch Knight, summoning a Death Knight and buffing, Maximised Missile Storms and Hand of Mundus class.

Claiming that spells themselves are more powerful than in D&D or Pathfinder is patently false. Spell durations for many spells are <10% of what they are in PnP. Likewise, damaging spells are about 50-60% as effective as PnP given that everything has almost double HP. It's the "Buff and forget" builds that are more powerful due to engine limitations, stacking bonuses etc
                          UTC+8
                          Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                          Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

At the risk of veering utterly off-topic...

Personally I'm of the opinion that most of the defensive and buff based magic is balanced, offensive stuff (aside from the save v death stuff) is weak as hell.

Double or even triple the damage output of spells and let the fun times roll. Maybe combine with less HP on dungeon monsters.
                            It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                            Sydney Smith.

Comment

Is magic OP? Is it UP?

Only Lotus knows for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X