Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Server (9/24/15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it's probably about time for this. I would hope/presume this means no re-creating old characters. I'd like to see a truly fresh start.
    There will be no re-creating of old characters, no descendants of old characters.
    Please remember to remove all the junk items from the loot tables. Those chain gloves.
    Yeah, loot tables are being changed to get rid of junk items.
    I'll personally be keeping an eye on MoMF. It's one of the few PrCs unique to Sundren and I really, really enjoy the RP chances it gives, but it suffers in combat, especially if you lower the level cap.
    Yes, this class will be getting some love, probably in the form of our evaluating its forms and buffing as necessary.
    I'm mostly hoping this doesn't create excessive PvP, but I consider this a really delicate change, because players shouldn't be discouraged from joining underplayed factions or feel forced to join a particular faction for the opposite reason.
    It's to be determined, but many points will probably be held on a timer and won't be assailable when held by a PC faction. After so much time goes by, the outpost will revert to NPC hostile control to be conquered by a different faction.
    Again biased by previous characters I've made, but I'm hoping druids and rangers still have a faction and ideally a store.
    Still under discussion. The "natural" types don't lend themselves well to a faction in the context of server plot and DM resources. However, we're looking at retaining the organization of nature PCs as an RP device with incentives (RP hub, themed store).

I much prefer the idea of druids and rangers filtering into the various other factions as each PC tries to discern which entity best suits his or her interests.

On the matter at hand, will Faction Control Points have a hook into GBX' Faction Wealth system?
    Not likely. It's hard to retain that data from reset to reset. We'll probably disable that system unless something more interesting than "You are in a faction. Here are GPs" manifests.

Does this mean Sundren will be a low magic server or is that yet to be determined?
    "Low magic" is such a misleading term. The magic level of a server, truly, is whatever level of spells the magic users can cast. Gear for a level 15 PC will be in the +2/+3 range. A PC at level 20 can expect to be using mostly +3/+4 equipment, which will be attainable through crafting.

Comment

Curious to the fate of Vampires? Will Colibrus and his family be purged from the server?

Comment

Originally posted by Redjack View Post
        Curious to the fate of Vampires? Will Colibrus and his family be purged from the server?
        Would be nice to see vampires return in some form or another, it is a flavor that is unique to Sundren among servers. Though they don't lend themselves immediately well to a city-based faction systems, unless they exist as a sort of cult between cities post-wipe?
        Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
        Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
        Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
        Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
        Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
        Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

As an owner of one of the last vampires around, I think it's fine if they are gone. Especially if the cap gets moved back, a level 15 vampire against level 15 people is just too powerful from a PVP standpoint, and unfortunately it has been proven many a time to be extremely difficult to get RP other than a fight from those not in the same faction. I personally prefer the idea of the vampires being scary NPC's that the players face, not 1-3 players who together could wipe the server if they wanted too. But, that's just my opinion on it.
          Tigen Amastacia: Died in events so you didn't have to.

Quintin Ulsteris: Nice-guy Legion engineer, deceased son of House Ulsteris.

Clandriel Cain: AKA "Fire-eyes" AKA "Demon hunter" AKA "OH MY GOD, WHY IS HE STILL STABBING ME!!??"

Comment

I remember being in game and seeing the likes of Clive or Ruby log into and getting excited about the impending conflict. The fear on the server was thick. Back when Clive would hunt near 2nd Wind... Characters traveled in groups for fear of meeting a vampire alone on a dark road. Ruby would confront groups at a time and most would recoil in fear. IMO, this made the server special and exciting. I too would like to see them return in some form.
            Cheers!

Comment

We won't have vampire PCs again for the forseeable future. They'll exist as an NPC influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Torgar View Post
                As an owner of one of the last vampires around...
                Magnus and Allan were the last two active Vamps that I remember.
                Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus View Post
                  We won't have vampire PCs again for the forseeable future. They'll exist as an NPC influence.
                  NPC influence? Intriguing.
                  Cheers!

Comment

Actually, Manu, Torgar is one of the last vampire players, with Iskaroth. While on the topic of vampire pc's, I think it's best to do away with them. They are insanely powerful, not just in terms of stats, but abilities. I mean, just a look at their wiki entry reveals how strong they are. And it's due to this sheer strength that I think they should be done away with. They'd work best in an npc position, if for no other reason than it keeps one player or group of players from becoming a bit too powerful in an non-roleplay specific way. And when one team's got all the cards or powerful players, people will start flocking to that team, which destroys any conflict and makes things boring.

And actually, as a bit of a personal rant: Yeah, sure vampire PC's make for an interesting rp environment where people are grouping together to travel the roads at night because a powerful big bad vamp just logged in, but to be honest? That should've been happening regardless, since the threats in Sundren are many, with some prime examples being bandits, goblins, gnolls, and run-of-the-mill orcs. And while there are some pretty powerful people wandering the valley, let's not forget that there's also soem very powerful threats in the Valley as well. Enter lycanthropes, the Bloodmaim, and yes, Vampires. Really, travelling in the Forgotten Realms is dangerous, even more so at night when certain things can come out, not to mention your visibility's considerable lower, and lighting up a torch to see can also make you a target. *turns off waffle iron on this particular topic*

In any case, I really do look forward to seeing the changes that get made, and seeing this server really up and going again.
                    We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

I'm wondering.... what will happen to all the Characters that we all played recently. I don't mean the Vault Characters, I mean the people that we played that were a part of Sundren. Will they just fade away and be forgotten or will Sundren History have some sort of record of them?
                      Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

The goal is to have epilogues for characters and possibly fold their swan songs into the lore for the next chapter of the server's story. Lotus mentioned previously (and I believe in another thread) that the specifics of this are currently being determined. Obviously characters that were active for a long time and partook in many events/were deeply involved with their factions will be more likely to have something interesting happen in the interim. And while we are all special snowflakes, it will most likely be impossible to give everyone some form of epic closure given the parameters set by the current story and our goals with the next step.

My suggestion is that you pick your favorite character and how you want his/her story to end. We will hammer out the submission process and let you know how to put those chocolatey story nuggets forward for our storymancers to try and fold into the tasty dough we have already crafted for overarching server plot.

Comment

Originally posted by jarlexel View Post
                          Pickpocket: please get rid of that, met a person who played here six years ago and only for a day due to some jerk stealing her weapons and she could not afford new ones.
                          Seconding this. It's too easy to abuse. You can still RP sleight of hand plenty well.
                          Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
                          "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
                          UTC -4

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus View Post
                            I'd say this is a good thing, honestly. Being a vampire was fun and all, but it was really something that caused too much hostility oocly and such.

As for wrapping up the stories of a character we choose, that would be great. When is it you guys would be wanting us to do this?
                            Olivia Kimaris - Paladin of Lathander and Knight of the Northern Watch
                            Diary of Olivia

Originally posted by Cornuto
                            Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

As it stands right now, we've mostly determined the faction futures based on how we foresee them acting in response to the server events that have been designed. So, I'd suggest writing out a word/text document and labeling it as such:

faction-forum name-character name.doc

example: "Legion-Peridan-Peridan Twilight.doc"

Then depositing it in this dropbox. We'll go through them, and see about adding the finishes to the future wiki entries and lore. Keep in mind, there won't be anything particularly epic about their ending, and any such endings will need to be approved by staff. If we read it, and it doesn't fit with how we want things to go, we'll send you a PM for you to go back into the document and change it based on our edits on the document within.
                              "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Ooooo this was enough for me to come out of the woodwork and cheer you guys on.

On that note, a bad joke and some nostalgia!

Requiem: I don't remember bards being the ones getting killed so the important people didn't have to when I consistently played.

Redjack: Don't you mean swords wielded by Paladins and/or the entire server all at once?

I should find my CD keys...
                                Last edited by Dragor; 10-05-2015, 08:48 PM.
                                "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
                                Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                                http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Working...
                                X