Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update: March 30th, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff, seriously. Honestly, I like the bandages, mostly because I assumed they were primarily geared towards those who couldn't self heal.

It's a viable option that allows one to heal up at a rather minimal cost, while between encounters. I think it's important to note that the higher level you get, the more hp you will have not healed whenever you rest. This leaves a large disparity between your max hp and current hp, right after a rest.

And that presents some problems. Even if you're in a party with a cleric, what's better, that you all heal up with bandages so he can save all his actual cure spells for sticky situations, or for him to burn his spells right after resting?

This offers an affordable way to allow that cleric to save his spells for true emergency situations, while everyone's performing battlefield medicine. Sure, it'll increase time for resting, but big deal. I'm not a hardcore grinder, and typically like pit stops if I'm with a group that wants to Roleplay. And hell, people with high Heal skills now have even more reason to Roleplay that, since there's a dramatic difference outside of combat when they're using bandages.

Previously, kits were usually used in combat, and people didn't have time to RP that effect.

I enjoy the new system a great deal more.

One thing, though. I was wonder, is it possible to script it so it gives you a bit higher of a heal on the first tick, and then moves to a Heal over Time effect? Not that the full amount of hp healed should be changed, but perhaps increase the first tick's heal, and then lower the incremental heals that follow.

Reason for this is that it'd substantially increase their usability, since even if if you're in a sticky situation, if you can find just a couple seconds to get that bandage on, it'd at least be worth a bit more. Anyway, just a suggestion. It's still good as is.

Comment

Good comments Paradoxical,

As for your suggestion I do like it, however to consider it I think the value of the bandages would need a slight increase. Lets see how the current implementation plays out, as things have an unexpected way of surprising us no matter how simple.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

When did NWN 1 come out? That's how long I've hated heal kits. Thank you so, so much. I <3 you guys.
        Originally posted by Cornuto
        Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

I really really like this update. Bravo!
          The poetry that comes from the squaring off between;
          and the circling is worth it, finding beauty in the dissonance.

Comment

To quote : "All factions and subfactions have had their items universally updated so they can only be equiped by either a) PCs with certain amount of reputation in the faction, or b) PCs who have achieved a certain rank in their subfaction.
            Please note this does not prevent you from buying an item -- only wearing it. Read the item descriptions carefully, then check your reputation interface. We won't have the capacity to offer refunds on mis-purchased items"
            My Toon Kharn is almost totally outfitted with Pedes wargear...does this mean that he will no longer be able to wear his armour, shield and bracers? I had assumed when i bought them after i had read their description and that by the fact that i could buy them meant that it was ok for me to do so.... If i cant use them then i would be slightly annoyed at the no refund bit, i worked really hard and had some awesome adventures and a great deal of fun to get to the point with my gear that i am now. I could begin again easy enough so don't get me wrong i'm not having a moan about it but....yea i'm not going to turn this into a rant because i think everything in the update is great, good work all of it.
            Choose your destiny,test your might,be a dwarf.

Chuck Norris can believe its not butter.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Comment

I think the stuff you already have is exempt from this. My Thayan Knight can still use the "red label" gear he bought a while back even though he only has just over 3k faction points (and, due to some other problem, can not even look at the faction store to see what was changed). I think you should be cool if you already have the stuff.
              Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
              Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
              Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
              Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
              Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
              Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
              "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

Update is now live.

Plus, someone who plays both a wraith AND a thayan knight... totally badass.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxicalAnonymity View Post
                  One thing, though. I was wonder, is it possible to script it so it gives you a bit higher of a heal on the first tick, and then moves to a Heal over Time effect? Not that the full amount of hp healed should be changed, but perhaps increase the first tick's heal, and then lower the incremental heals that follow.
                  We did consider this, but people would simply use them over and over to get that initial bump of healing without having to wait. We wanted to stick to the "spirit" of PNP bandaging: they increase your body's own natural healing, but don't provide healing themselves. As such, we stuck with the heal-over-time initially, adding the CON kicker at the end instead of the front.

That being said, we'll be looking at the system and adjusting over the next month or so as needed
                  "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                  -Bill Maher

Comment

Ah, the reason for such totally makes sense, yeah. That would be kind of cheap if they just kept applying the initial heal over and over. More expensive, but entirely against the spirit of the idea behind this new system.

Which makes me curious. Is it possible to give a debuff of some sort that makes it so they can't have another bandage used on them until after X amount of time? I do have to keep in mind I don't know jack-squat about coding/scripting/being a computer monkey. So, if these things are impossible, or difficult to the point it's not worth it, I entirely understand.

But if such was possible, that could allow you to do the initial higher heal, and a Healing over Time, without people abusing the mechanics.

Whatever the case, it's a slick new system, and I like it. Really like it, in fact.

Comment

It's possible, sure. We'll consider it I personally like the idea of it giving the big kicker at the end -- like the wound has clotted and healed fully. The same argumend could be made that stopping the initial bleeding would be most important though.
                      "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                      -Bill Maher

Comment

Yeah, there's only so much realism one can get in with these things. My idea wasn't exactly about realism, I admit, just to make it a bit more effective even in situations where you might only have a very small break.

But even your idea of putting a bigger kick at the end could be more motivation for people letting the whole heal go through.

Definitely benefits to both.

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                          Update is now live.

Plus, someone who plays both a wraith AND a thayan knight... totally badass.

Then I am only 1/2 bad ass now. The wraith has been retired...at least for now. I just couldn't bring myself to throw out the facial appliance molds
                          Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
                          Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
                          Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
                          Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
                          Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
                          Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
                          "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

Combat Medics should definently still be able to use bandages in battle... as a special perk of their class!
                            Ethric Urmbrusk - Noble Dreadmaster
                            Fulk of Helmsport - Faithful Soldier
                            Cornelius Faustus - Scytheful Scribe
                            Komeigyu Shoon Ieyasu - Exarch's Samurai
                            Tahlatril Auvrealylth - Ace of Blades
                            Elizabella Talmost - Sunite Sorceress
                            Lucretia Valentine - Shadowy Seductress
                            Haraldir Ironshield - Fallen Dwarven Defender
                            Justin Cecilius - The Next Great Blind Paladin
                            Hazlok Flass - Necromancer's Apprentice
                            Xander Magnus - Right Hand Enforcer
                            Zilabamuzale of Mezro - Guardian of Ubtao

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop Cornelius View Post
                              Combat Medics should definently still be able to use bandages in battle... as a special perk of their class!
                              Try this:

Go play a game of soccer. In the middle of the game, while your teammate is dribbling the ball, attempt to roll tin foil around his arm five times without him giving up the ball to the other team.

Pretty hard to do -- and that's easier than wrapping a wound tightly so it stops bleeding!

Even if we allowed it, combat breaks the healing effect. So he might wrap the wound, but the recipient would break the wrapping before he got any healing benefit.
                              -Bill Maher

Comment

Glad this has been implemented, I hatehatehate people spamming heal kits during PvP.
                                Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

Working...
                                X