Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update: March 30th, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: March 30th, 2010

Update is now live, here's a laundry list of the changes you can expect:
    • All factions and subfactions have had their items universally updated so they can only be equiped by either a) PCs with certain amount of reputation in the faction, or b) PCs who have achieved a certain rank in their subfaction.
      Please note this does not prevent you from buying an item -- only wearing it. Read the item descriptions carefully, then check your reputation interface. We won't have the capacity to offer refunds on mis-purchased items.Mad props to Zork and Cornuto for updating so many items with tags!
    • Healing kits are out; bandages are in.
      You've probably seen them dropping in loot. They are also now replaced in all stores. The new bandages are cheaper and much more realistic. You cannot apply them during combat. They heal over time, and combat breaks that healing effect. Boosters to bandaging include the bandager's Heal skill and bandagee's CON bonus.
    • Store costs have universally come down. Faction / subfaction stores are still much cheaper than public stores.
    • Spell component costs have been added to certain strong spells. These components are represented by gold deduction. Resurrection is the most expensive. Level 9 spells are the most expensive after that, coming in at 150 gold. The costs are less for lower level spells. This should balance some of the gold gain for casters vs. melee, along with the really cheap bandaging.
    • Black Hand tokens, Alcazar's Seal, and Nexus Shards now have a delay on their activation. On activation. bystanders will see floating text and a VFX. This will allow pursuers to react and attack before they vanish. These tokens were never intended as instant-escape devices, and this will correct the balance issue, as well as give more drama during PVP conflict.
    • There are a lot of new items and stores floating around. Check those vendors carefully!
    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
    -Bill Maher

Um, holy crapola that's a nice update. Thanks team, you guys rock my socks off.
    Characters:
    Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
    Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

The wave of awesome strikes!
      "Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction."

Comment

Originally posted by Peridan View Post
        Um, holy crapola that's a nice update. Thanks team, you guys rock my socks off.
        Ditto!

Comment

Nice!

Ademant - Genasi with tainted blood
          Raggard Haffee - Wild Dwarven Druid

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb
            • Healing kits are out; bandages are in.
              You've probably seen them dropping in loot. They are also now replaced in all stores. The new bandages are cheaper and much more realistic. You cannot apply them during combat. They heal over time, and combat breaks that healing effect. Boosters to bandaging include the bandager's Heal skill and bandagee's CON bonus.
            Hi. I think the bandages are rather useless. It would be nice if the healing effect would continue even if you have to face the fight. Why? I try explain.

My point of view:

1. Why would I use it (cotton ones for example) if I can buy "potion of lesser Vigor", which I can use even when fighting and the effect continues during the fight itself. Now you'll probably remove them from the market, but I do not care so much, because I never used it and frankly I do not know a person who buys that potion. I never did, because of the existence of healing potions, which effect is immediate.

2. About the realism. If the healing effect stops by fighting, why doesn't it stop by moving around? When you run through the location? I don't know, but if that should be more realistic, I personally would stop the healing effect even when running, trying to hide etc. (I mean it seriously).

I think, that the only likely useful bandages are the silk ones (in my case +5 healed hit points per round). If you know, you are leaving the fight, you can use one and it will heal you. It makes you feel better. Or you can wait until you reach the camp and take a nap.

The result for me personally is - I will never buy a single bandage now. I will use the silk ones if I find them (which I do) and keep 1-2 of them (just to feel better to have some for the case of RP use of them or whatever). The rest I'll sell (they are not too expensive) or I leave them lying on the ground (they are rather heavy for me). I will definitelly buy only potions.

In comparison to potions - no advantage, just disadvantages. Maybe the prize. Yep.

Edit: font set to 3
            Last edited by Vai; 03-31-2010, 05:43 AM.

Comment

You've actually summed up the reasons that kits have been removed and bandages and potions have been pushed up in their place.

The implimentation of healing kits in NWN2 was flawed from the get go - an almost instant heal for 1-20+skill hp amount, usable in combat without AoO. That's pretty flawed.

In order to balance combat a little bit more, the notion of being able to simultaniously stab an opponant in the face, cure disease, remove poison and suture wounds has been removed. Now there are simple choices that have different risks:

Heal with a potion, it'll heal you a chunk instantly (remember a few updates back heal potions were upgraded to 'Maximised'). The downside is that you'll invite an AoO.

Clerical heal - requires a party and/or a spell slot, reducing available buffs. Has a risk of disruption, but offers a wider range of healing options.

Run away - A good last resort. Provided you're fast enough.

All much more exciting than the previous 'half-step, spam heal' tactic.

As for running back to camp for a nap - You tend to find that's much less of an option for non-stealth characters, or those at the far end of the Veritas/Mossdale/Necropolis.
              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
                You've actually summed up the reasons that kits have been removed and bandages and potions have been pushed up in their....

Hi, you're quiet right about the cure disease, remove poison and suture wounds, I didn't realize it is possible , thank you. Now I know it, but it's rather late for me so.. .

But you answered to yourself too. Why would I buy a bandage, when I have to wait few rounds to be healed and be cautious not to be in combat? If I would be in the hostile area, as you say, surrounded by the horrible enemies, I would rather have more potions with me then tons of bandages, because I would have to be sure, that there will be a moment to use them (means - not to be fighting).

Again - why would I carry soo heavy cotton bandages, which work only in the peaceful times? Instead of much more lighter potions of lesser Vigor usable ever? Or the silk bandages instead of healing potions? Of course, if there would be a fight and my resources of potions would disappear in the middle of such a hostile area, I would be happy to find the bandages. Even the cotton ones. But would I ever buy them? No no. Never. I rather byu those healing potions.

It's not offence, just I think it is not too useful thing, these bandages.

*sighs* Why do I buy the antidote potions, when I have healing kits! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Edit: I forgot to add this before the forum became unavailable for me for a while. So. If your intention was to create something what would replace healing kits, what I think is good, because it makes sence to use the potions of antidote and lesser restoration etc. instead of one super package called healing kit, buuut the stop effect of the healing, when entering the fight (accidentally or on purpose) makes them unusable.

And the font set to 3.

Last edited by Vai; 03-31-2010, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Do these bandages work with the bonus of healing skill? If yes, they can be useful for some classes.

And you could also write in a bigger font, it hurt my eyes

And thanks for the hard work, staff team
                  "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Comment

I invest skill points in healing (not sure how many of them right now) and silk bandages (the best I found) heal me +5 hitpoints per round, the linen ones +3 hit points per round and the cotton +1 per round. **EDITED -- please don't post revealing stats about the mechanisms of the game -PL**

I would like to beg responsible persons for some description of that mechanism. Thank you very much.

Comment

It does seem that Bandages heal more the more ranks you have in Heal.

It seems like they're intended for use in-between fights, since cost-versus-health they are less expensive and easier to find than healing potions. They don't permit you to bandage up instantly after each fight and run off to beat up more monsters without taking at least a few seconds' rest. And, honestly, the mobs in 'dungeon' areas tend to be spaced far enough apart that you have decent breathing room after each encounter.

Additionally, I believe bandages (at least Linen and better) heal more than your average Lesser Vigor spell.

Comment

About the bandages:

* One of the specific reasons they were moved to non-combat was to increase the value of potions. We want potions to be more useful than bandages, circumstantially. Yes, you're right to value potions -- that was completely intended. You pay for what you get!
                        We received feedback from the community that healing was expensive for non-casters. This was in direct response to that.

* Why would you carry around bandages? They are really, really cheap. They let anyone heal up in-between combat without dropping a ton of coins: 5 GP for a cotton, 25 for linen, and uh... I think 50 for silk. At a minimum, each of those heals for 10, 30, and 50 HP I believe -- if you don't jump right back into combat.

* They won't let you grind quickly through areas, but you can apply bandages to your wounds as you get them and heal up. Must happen outside of combat -- let's be realistic about wrapping your leg up while a bad guy has a sword in your face! Moving around isn't nearly as extrenuous as fighting -- hence the distinction there.
                        "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                        -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Kajae View Post
                          The mobs in 'dungeon' areas tend to be spaced far enough apart that you have decent breathing room after each encounter.
                          Just wait till you see the next big surprise GBX has in-store for you
                          -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
                            About the bandages:

* One of the specific reasons ...
                            Little missunderstanding. I agree with the logic of using it outside the fight. The only thing I find problematic is stopping of the healing process when you enter the fight (creature aproaches you, you enter the fight voluntarily, etc.). But I imagine the possibilities to use it as a prevention, like the regeneration in advance, so I understand. But still, no need to carry more then 1-2 of the silk ones, just for case that you'll be lucky, if you'll be stuck between the two groups of hostile creatures and they will be too lazy to approach you, so you can use them to save your poor life. I'm going to take a nap. Without bandages aaand right now! Bye.

Comment

Thanks for all the work put into this update. I already love the bandages. It's not just a halving of the cost of healing bought from stores, they're dropping in large amounts in the loot also. Personally, I'm happy waiting 60 seconds or so for the full healing effect. I see that the mechanics increase the value of CON, which is nice. However, I can see how it may make things a bit harder for the light armor wearers relative to others, offset by their better ability to escape from a fight, and the continued availability of potions.

Comment

Working...
                              X