Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doubts (public) Developmental log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, good old 3ds. Wish I could afford a licence for the damn thing (though given the money I'd probably err toward Maya due to familiarity). Just so, so very expensive. Still, reasonably set up these days, I'll just (finally) stretch for a Marvelous Designer license in February (when I get the relocation money from my employer) then I'll consider myself pretty much softwared up for both game and miniature production.

My current aim within Sundren is trying to stretch the engine as much as possible, it's not that ugly, and with modern machines the areas can be quite dense. Though I will admit it doesn't always work. The complexities of the stables above were due to it being in the corner of a castle which was designed so that it could be besieged on all sides by horrible types. While that notion has been trimmed down (you can still defend the outer walls, just not the inner) - Largely due to keeping the area above 5fps) and taught me some valuable lessons for the eventual Aquor/Avanthyr remakes (on paper they'll both have some convoluted walkmeshes).

Outside of Sundren, well. Definitely not working on a PW, currently I'm fleshing out some basic systems with the idea of creating some simple games. My wife's asked for an avatar generation system, so that's becoming a test bed for a character/facial creation system with 3d avatars in UE4, nothing outrageously complex and a 6 month timescale. After that, dunno, got a skill&LOS based stealth idea that might work for a small game, cover based combat system that could also be entertaining (and behavior systems just look downright fun, imagine, creatures and things that behave like creatures and things!) - Just little things to try out. I might, might spring for the MMO Starter Kit, partly because it's simpler than me trying to dev it and partly because I'm pretty sure I can cock together a 'DM Mode' for it. It'd also be handy to have a multiplayer test bed for stuff. But that's way down the list of priorities and likely a year or more away.

I guess you're right that every journey begins with a single step, perhaps it's just a way of looking at things - For me rather than having the singular goal of a PW the aim is to create disparate systems that could, conceivably, be stuck together to form something greater. More about the journey than the destination

Either that or I'll end up doing statuettes and miniatures (got my eye on a Form 2. Sexy beast). Either works.

Kovah, and anyone else that wants to help: Quests.

Quests are great, easyish to implement but more time consuming to write all the dialogue and what not. So, if you want to help out do dialogue and whatnot for quests (keep in mind the setting and the likely need for repeatability). Either PM them to me or (better yet) do a Help Request thread with the prefix QuestIdea: and we'll work with you on them!

If you want to format the quests into an easy to implement style then there's info in this old post here, but any format works.

Use skills, use attributes, use classes if need be! Above all, make them fun.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

• Right, been a while since an update. I've had to move house due to work, knew it was coming though so it was factored into my update schedule.The good news is I've finally found a house to move into over the next week or so. The better news is that this place is built from inspiration. my morning run takes me around my towns Venetian walls in all their castley glory and it's a 30 min trip into Venice itself. Fuck yeah

Been making a lot of notes on how I want the towns to look, ideally they'll all get a rebuild or major overhaul in the coming year, but for now the main ones are getting brought up to date (well, most of them) to show that they've grown and developed during the last 50 years.

Here's a teaser of a different one to last time, still in progress but going well.

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
      Sydney Smith.

Comment

• Do you have a Steam, Doubtful? It'd be neat to have someone to talk to about asset creation stuff. By which I mean, I want to pester you ceaselessly with questions.

Also, something that might interested you:
        Maya has apparently gone open source, so you can get it free if you're willing to compile it yourself.
        WWW•REKOV•COM

Comment

Working...
        X