Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been with Sundren a long time and I still play on Sundren.

However, the death system for many people is a bit harsh. I don't necessarily like it, but I can live with it. However, many times you die because of some fool in your party, not because you did something foolish. The intent for the server is to RP and if you go out into the world, to form parties and have fun with that type of RP also.

However, the three times I did die, losing all my signuses, was in party and some idiot ran forward and spawned everything around us, thus killing us all. If it wasn't for me actually having enough money for a party member the other day to buy diamonds and raise me at the temple, I would be in FEN and probably would just play another character or create a new one. I am now broke and will probably do what I don't really like to do, but go hit some areas for loot just in case I die again, LOL.

Another thing I have seen is that people, who reach their cap, do not idle or RP around the campfires much, they just create new characters. They then play them until they reach the cap and then hope their other one went up a notch so they can level them. I see many, many new characters and many of the old ones are not around much.

I am not taking a position, I am merely stating what my experiences have been with the death system and also with my perceptions of the level cap.

Comment

I agree with the above post, and to add to it, I must say that this system has also encouraged metagaming. People are always sending tells back and forth asking one another "Could you pay me back if I raised you?" or "Do you have any diamonds?", and similar things. People will even go so far as to send a tell to their friend who is in the middle of RP'ing, to ask "I died in the Necropolis, can you come get me?" ...stuff like that.

And, can you blame these people? Sitting in death areas is never fun, and people play games to have fun. It just doesn't add up, to me.
      Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

Just so everyone can relax, have some patience and read this.

I'm most likely going to be addressing some of these changes this weekend if I can find the time.
        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Well, I haven't been around much becuase work has been a bear. I actually like idea of the new death penalties, siunce I saw virtually no fear of death from anyone on the server before. Now, I know that hasn't been the prevailing opinion of vocal players here, and I haven't played much at all since the institution of the new rules, but I'm glad to see them get closer to the spirit of PnP DnD. Death has meaning and should be feared immensely.

If there problems with finding groups and such, then once the new system is fully installed and working properly, a massive advertising blitz or some good PR is in order to boost player population. Until the kinks are worked, that shouldn't happen. I know lots of players thought that they should "leave well enough alone" but I hope the new rules, when completed, will be a good thing. Until I see the full implementation, I reserve my opinion as to the new death system. So, when I do have time to play, I'll continue ot think of time spent here as helping them betatest the server...and try to have fun doing it...

Of course, all just my pre-opinion opinion.

I also need to find a new sig picture...
          sigpic
          How to Save $$ at Christmas

Fingal Haller - dwarven scout, locksmith and mercenary
          Reuel - Human (absent-minded) Wizard
          Rudash - Orc-blooded lad with a chip on his shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by Poor_Otis View Post
            Well, I haven't been around much becuase work has been a bear. I actually like idea of the new death penalties, siunce I saw virtually no fear of death from anyone on the server before. Now, I know that hasn't been the prevailing opinion of vocal players here, and I haven't played much at all since the institution of the new rules, but I'm glad to see them get closer to the spirit of PnP DnD. Death has meaning and should be feared immensely.

If there problems with finding groups and such, then once the new system is fully installed and working properly, a massive advertising blitz or some good PR is in order to boost player population. Until the kinks are worked, that shouldn't happen. I know lots of players thought that they should "leave well enough alone" but I hope the new rules, when completed, will be a good thing. Until I see the full implementation, I reserve my opinion as to the new death system. So, when I do have time to play, I'll continue ot think of time spent here as helping them betatest the server...and try to have fun doing it...

Of course, all just my pre-opinion opinion.

I also need to find a new sig picture...
            +100 forum points for Poor_Otis.
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I thought that discussion on the forum was helping with the beta-testing? If you don't want opinions on new implementations, then you shouldn't have a forum?

However, I posted before Saulus put out his post about listening to the players and implementing changes, so I apologize for that.

Like I said before, I can live with the current system or a new system. I was merely giving you my account of what I have heard and seen. If you think it was a whine, well, I can't really do anything about that. I can count the number of times I whined about something to a DM on one hand.......well, about two fingers.

It is a Beta and there will be changes.

Comment

Honestly the only thing keeping me from logging on is a lack of A) Direction and B) Story, death system is fine (I like it infact)
                ~Lyonette L'cyr (Rook)-- Deader than Malaclypse

~Megandlla Uyth 'Llar -- In a land Far Far away!

~Emilee Mistwalker -- A Female Sigrun? Pfft, far cooler--.... eh.... Hated!!

Comment

This thread was never really meant to be a place to throw two cents in on the death system, I was just wondering where most of the playerbase went.
                  "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
                  - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                    Just so everyone can relax, have some patience and read this.

I'm most likely going to be addressing some of these changes this weekend if I can find the time.

This seems fair to me. By level 9, a person should know how things work. It seems like a good middle ground. And with things in the loot table, that should help also.

I am lucky still. I am lvl 8. But once I hit lvl 9, I hope it becomes easier to find a group to go out and adventure with.

((OOC if you see Dashmin Fleetfoot running around and want to adventure, let him know through RP, he is always up for it. )

Good post Saulus.
                    Dashmin "Dash" Fleetfoot
                    Strongheart Halfling

Burglar turned Wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaldaris View Post
                      This thread was never really meant to be a place to throw two cents in on the death system, I was just wondering where most of the playerbase went.
                      I think you are getting your answer, as it seems to be due -in part- to the recent changes.

Comment

This is really just "What I don't like about the Death system part 2".

For those who haven't read my above commentary, check the original death thread under suggestions. Closed.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                        X