Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temple of Sune - Aquor

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit, at first I was rather a bit hesitant in my accepting the concept of a Sunite temple located in Aquor, but I believe that Nwilmen did a commendable job of proposing rational for such. I especially like the illumination into the tradition versus liberal concepts, as we often find in our own front-doorstep religions.

There is merit in such things. But in such a vein, hopefully the actual NPCs will be RPed in such a manner that they represent such ideals, that they would decide to erect a temple in Aquor. Because even if the nobles had the money to build one there, they still would have had to find actual clergy of Sune that were willing to move into such a proximity to the Red Wizards.

I believe, ironically, it is the opposite case that Gamling and GBX argue for that makes it all the more reasonable, this temple being built in Aquor. I have difficulty buying that the people of Aquor would be even remotely trustful of the Enclave at this point (nor Sundren, for that matter). Governments and the people are two separate entities entirely (even the people separate into different demographics, of course).

The people Aquor have had the unique opportunity to see some things from the Enclave, chief among them the night where the people were locked out of the Enclave as vampires slaughtered their populace. Not only did the Red Wizards not come out to protect them (as they've been charged with doing by the government), they sat at their gates, barring entrance for asylum from the bloodthirsty undead.

And to top it all off, those at the gates laughed as the people were slaughtered.

Let's be brutally honest. This kind of stuff is not forgotten. Especially when the reminder of such is viewable out your window every morning.

There are other things, of course. Such as the murderous creation of theirs rampaging about some time in the past (while people couldn't prove it was theirs [even if it truly wasn't], it didn't matter - people believed it was theirs). The Triumvirate trying to extol the lack of virtues of the Red Wizards. And other things of the sort.

As Kaeldorn said: things might have been intended differently at first. To have the Enclave show a bright smile to the people, and be all happy-nice in public. But their track record, especially the one with letting people be slaughtered by vampires and laughing, is just something that is not forgotten and forgiven.

But, I think this actually works in favor of the temple being placed in Aquor. If the people are sick and tired of looking out their window at an Enclave that reminds them of such things, of death and atrocity, why not bring something to their favorite vacationing spot that would uplift them? Namely, a Sunite temple, full of erudite arts and renaissance beauty.

Something to make the place more tolerable, more friendly, and more inviting, of course. And once again, I can definitely agree with Nwilmen that there would be some Sunites up for such a challenge. Perhaps they even believe they'll be able to convert some of those pesky Red Wizards into a life of decadence. Who knows?

Comment

Holy crap! I'm now afraid for everybody's minds. I can't believe me sticking a temple in for people to enjoy would explode into a big "GBX WHY?!"

Seriously, these kinds of posts make people like me not want to do nice things for people.

I guess I'll continue to do everything for Banites since I havn't ever heard a single complaint out of them when I do anything nice for their factions.

Comment

There have been lots of good moments in history for the Thayans, too. They were very helpful in ending the reptile war, for example.

Regardless: that gold statue is far too heavy to move. It's not going anywhere
        "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
        -Bill Maher

Comment

And I just finished redoing the whole Corps de Grace basement for the last 4 hours. Are we going to need another 5 pages of complaints about that?

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
            Holy crap! I'm now afraid for everybody's minds. I can't believe me sticking a temple in for people to enjoy would explode into a big "GBX WHY?!"

Seriously, these kinds of posts make people like me not want to do nice things for people.

I guess I'll continue to do everything for Banites since I havn't ever heard a single complaint out of them when I do anything nice for their factions.
            I just read through all the posts, and it seems the vast majority is for having it in Aquor, GBX.

This is kind of an overreaction, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by ReverberateEcho View Post
              I just read through all the posts, and it seems the vast majority is for having it in Aquor, GBX.

This is kind of an overreaction, don't you think?
              Yes, I do. But I was hoping it'd just end the debate

Truth is, I was walking in new aquor, saw the chapel and said "Huh, nobles worship Sune alot, right? Let's stick a temple to Sune here, there's a few players of Sune and Sharess and I already have the map."

Saulus replied "Alright."

You think I spend all that much time considering every angle possible before I stick a map in?

Comment

There have been lots of good moments in history for the Thayans, too. They were very helpful in ending the reptile war, for example.
                Only after one of their knights had a hand in fuelling the feud with the Slitherscale. Speaking of cleaning up their own mess, heh.

I believe most people are just vouching for giving the temple a reason to exist besides just for nobles to sit there and gawk at pretty things. That it's a place from which goody two-shoes characters can launch their crusades in the middle of 'enemy' territory, rather than wait for it to come to them. What's wrong with some resistance settled on the Enclave's doorstep? It's already been explained why it would make sense.

You think I spend all that much time considering every angle possible before I stick a map in?
                Uhm... you should? *runs faaar away*

Comment

I really hope you don't feel that way, GBX. I do think people support the idea, overall, but personally I think the fact that your position of the temple stirred up such a discussion is far more valuable than an addition that stirs up no discussion at all. It's prodding a reaction from folk, inviting debate (which is good!), and forcing everyone involved to reflect upon their own opinions and their own reasoning. This is very important, and necessary for the growth of our skills as character writers and plotters.

This discussion has definitely caused me, a brand new player, to become more invested in the server and my Sunite. And I thank you for that!
                  Evelyn Meriadoc - One Step Ahead

Comment

The more conflict the better I say. Bring on the Sunite Paladins who find the gnolls of Thay rediculous ugly.

"Let's get rid of the Enclave. It'd make a lovely garden area."

Conflicts are there to be overcome, not rebuilt out of the module. If people want to use Sune's influence to launch a campaign I'm cool with that personally.

Comment

The Thayans will come to fear the elite Sunite interpretive dance troupes.
                      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                      Sydney Smith.

Comment

I'm going to close this thread as it now seems to be a debate of why the Sunites don't like Thayans, which should really have nothing to do with this discussion.

If we say Sunites like wearing pink exploding hats. Then its truth, it may not be truth in your PnP campaign or on server X, but it would be true here.

The Sunite temple is in Aquor, it's there to stay, and the nobility are the large reason in part for having it there.

If you feel so distraught about this then please resolve it ingame where it will be dealt with appropriately.

Oh and also -- if we want to talk about trust, and attitudes towards factions... we could discuss how the Triumvirate killed one of their own in cold blood -- a hero of the people... but that's another discussion.
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                        X