Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should PRCs be linked closely with Sundren factions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing, I want to know why my rep with arbiters has gone down when Ariel and the rest of the Blades have been kicking ass in their name for a while now

No need to actually reply as I understand there's many considerations in these things.
    /Kim

Ariel - Cirion: "Glasses, when did you start needing glasses?"
    Sergei - Arawen: "Nice to see you too Blue Eyes"
    Anynduil - Elrylyn: "An ..."

Comment

I've wrote several posts on the PrC discussion. And each time, I keep deleting it, because I come to more than one conclusion on the issue. This is one of those questions I find can not be universally answered. I can see it divided right down the middle, personally. Linking them closely has many benefits, but also drawbacks. Not linking them closely has tons of awesome pros, but also a bunch of cons.

There isn't an easy answer on this. Because I love the thought of closely linking PrCs to the factions, but on the other hand, I have been on servers that have done this, and then gotten frustrated that a character concept I had was made all the more difficult because I didn't want this character to join that faction.

If I had to make a decision? If I was entirely pressed into it? I'd say leave it as it is now. Which, if I can tell how it is right now, it's "Sometimes, only when it makes sense." That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Now, the thing about factions? I honestly can't agree with the concept that most PCs 'should' join a faction. I think the moment we say this, we rip the idea of individuality from the characters, and inherently expect that they affiliate themselves to some group. It's not something I like, at all.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've often rolled my eyes on some servers where 99% of the population were 'loners.' It gets pretty darn old.

But I think Saul has a good point. Sure, you can be the loner. By all means. That is your right, as a player, to make a loner character. But I hope no one ever says something like, "Why aren't there more oppurtunities for unaffiliated characters to gain rewards, plots, big story arcs, etc.?"

Because the answer should be axiomatic. Walking the path of the rebel is always, always, always more difficult. It will not grant as many rewards, as many close friends, as many benefits. You don't have the luxury of falling back on a conglomeration and established group for help. You don't have the ability to request from your organization to borrow awesome gear to help in your mighty quest. You don't have the luxury of being part of a group who has an active hand in major things in the world.

Does this mean things are impossible for you? No. You might have lots of friends, for instance! You might be able to sniff out plotlines. You might be able to travel on the cloaktails of others who are involved in epic doings. You might be just really, really well connected.

But anyone who does not wish to affiliate themselves with a faction should entirely recognize that things will be more difficult for themselves. Just like how it is in real life, if I might say so. There is good reason that groups gather their resources.

Comment

It does make sense for quite a few of the PRCs to be tied to Factions; Blackhand, Geimhreadh, and the druid classes are prime examples.

As for the general faction thing their already is a 'traveller / commoner faction' in so much as one doesn't exist - they get the average every day stuff while factions look after there own.

Factions also make the adventuring life a lot easier, after all most commoners wouldn't wander down to Exigo to employ some damp vagrants to do work for them, they'd head off to the most appropriate well known faction (or hang around in the wrong parts of town after contacts for the less salubrious factions) and hire goons from them.

I'd imagine no matter what mindset most characters have their would be some faction they'd be happy to work for in some capacity be it for cash, equipment, work or just hot gruel.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Hmm. In order to avoid confusion I have italicized my reply.

I think it's only a good idea to link a Prestige Class to a faction if it makes sense that ONLY that faction would would know the secrets of the class. The Combat Medic, for example, is a very natural fit for the Legion, Red Blades, Triumverate and even the Banites.

I think it makes more sense to restrict certain Prestige Classes from joining certain factions. This happens naturally in most cases. A Dreadmaster of Bane isn't going to try to join the Triumverate. A Heartwarder might. A Palemaster would likely be taken into custody by them.

Future prestige classes should probably be more closely associated with certain factions. Most of the prestige classes that are included in official content are designed to fit a multitude of character choices. It would probably be best if future prestige classes were tied so closely to a faction that if you ever left the faction you'd lose the benefits of the class.

Comment

I voted no way, which is a 'sub faction' of, only if absolutely neccessary, which is the option given for, no way! when a poll is about something that has been alrady decided to be implemented.

Only thing something like this can achieve is restricting RP, by not allowing for diverse types of interesting characters.

I would love to see all the factions on this server filled up and heavily active but not at the cost of restricting roleplay and diversity. Who wants to make what everyone else is making 30 times over. When people make a character one of the main things I personally try and do is make them unique some how.

I love to occasionally play a character that is unusual for the organisation or group that it belongs to. What room is there for this sort of PC if they are forced into the steriotypical faction?

Secondly, there are some PrC's that belong not in any of the current factions or subfactions.

I.E. My new cleric of Talos has a plan that will alienate him from all but the worshippers of Auril, Umberlee and Malar. The gods of fury. There is no faction for this group, only the possibility of a player faction if I can find a few more players.

I've heard rumour that this could be a sub-faction of the druids but what i have planned makes my PC the mortal enemy of anything connected to that glade.
            If honour is truth and a lie is respect, then a secret is sacred.
            Confide in me my friend and I shall love you like no other.

Comment

i think balance is key! as with anything. i voted in the middle. but that said i would say this. if a restriction is placed on a prc. and a player has to join a faction to get said prc. that there be exceptions for a well developed character, with bio background and rp post to join a prc with out joining a faction.. this is where i think you will find the balance. good lore to base story off of and every once in a while an aberration to really give the story some chutzpah!

i will site a literary eample, though i'd not say it's classic liturature, though im sure there are some...

garth nix tells us of a benevolent necromancer, in the 'aborsen' trilogy. it is a dynamic and interesting character. fantasy is rife with aberrations like this. the good dark elf, drizzt... or however you spell his name. to name another.

to deny this on sundren due to unyielding faction prerequisites on prcs would be a tad short sighted.

(2 ducat administered)

Comment

Originally posted by gbbishop View Post
                garth nix tells us of a benevolent necromancer, in the 'aborsen' trilogy.

Heh, I loved that series when I was a kid.
                Characters:
                Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

yeah it's not bad... certainly better than that silly bit of potter business. i read it a while ago but i remember there being parts that actually had me creeped out.

anyway see the grey orc restricted post thingy... aberrations to societal norms should be carefully considered before being played.

Comment

Sometimes when it makes sense.

One character is an elf and her prestige class is already racially fixed, there no appropriate faction for Arcane Archers.

The other is a hin, divine defender, another prestige class that is global, and there are no hin specific factions or even churches in Sundren at this time.

Comment

There will never be a hin or elf specific faction in Sundren. The majority of the population is human.

Arcane archers could easily join any of the existing Sundren Legion factions.
                      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                        Sometimes when it makes sense.

One character is an elf and her prestige class is already racially fixed, there no appropriate faction for Arcane Archers.

The other is a hin, divine defender, another prestige class that is global, and there are no hin specific factions or even churches in Sundren at this time.

Every faction would accept an elf archer as iv yet to find any fantasy game/book that don’t have them set out as the BEST dame archer the world has ever seen, same with dwarfs and axe’s, not to would be like chopping your own sword arm off. And it’s the same about every other race; it’s what you do with them that counts.

But back to the point at hand, ORCS.

I’ve seen the black robbed one and accept its hidden, despite the strange ranting every now and then there’s no real reason to kill it. The other gray orc’s seem to have been a one off appearance or I’ve not seen them again anyway.

I guess the question should be are they an over powered build that deserves to be limited? No idea myself but as long as there’s no flood of orc horde or there not overly abused is there a real problem?
                        EvanandaPriestess of joy.

Hold - Follower of the lady, any lady.

http://richardleitch5.deviantart.com/

Comment

I think you might have gotten this topic mixed up with another one that's discussing Grey Orcs.

This one's just about PrCs being affiliated with factions, and how closely they should be. Hin and Elves just came up briefly, because of some PrCs.

Comment

opps, guess that happens when you open to many windows, sorry >.>

still a part of it was relevent.
                            EvanandaPriestess of joy.

Hold - Follower of the lady, any lady.

http://richardleitch5.deviantart.com/

Comment

This is beggining to look like another thread now :S
                              Originally posted by roguethree
                              If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Someone mentioned that the factions we have now are underused and I would have to say yes,they are underused.I think once there are quests implemented to gain access to join a faction we will see all the factions serving their purpose.

I also agree that if any prc is to be linked with a particular faction it should not be any of the existing ones...New prc's should be created for the factions,that is after all thework being put into the factions are completed.

There is a faction I believe that should be added , bu I will go and post that in the suggestions thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X