Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lag Beast - Walking with WASD? Proven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, I use tracking. The conventional way is to hold shift and click, though it gets tiring for the pinky.

Is there some way to toggle always run and always walk?
    Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
    Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

Man its impossible to play now... And it isn't just because of the wasd problem. Me and 3 other players were in a party trying to play and none of us were using the wasd and the server still lagged so freakin much and we were the only guys logged on. I'm in the mood to get some party and go rp and stuff and this lag is really pissing me off. Why didn't this happen back in the firsts days of the server? Are you sure there is nothing you can do guys?
      Jonathan Portnoy - A pirate's life fer me ARRR
      Caleb Norte - The Green Half-Orc
      Ego Trip - Wizard Spectacularrr

Comment

Trust us, it annoys us too. We have a huge bandwidth capacity and NWN2 drains it with only a few people on do to these bugs. WASD contributes ALOT to it. There's still strange flooding issues that we have no idea what the cause is. We're doing everything in our power to figure out why these floods occur, which is why we figured out WASD is causing floods too.

Obsidian is also working on these issues, I wouldn't expect much change until the expansion pack though, it sounds like Atari is pushing more for them to patch things for the offline play before online play, which is why in 1.07 the DM client is finally getting real attention. 1.07 might even fix packet flood issues, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
          Trust us, it annoys us too. We have a huge bandwidth capacity and NWN2 drains it with only a few people on do to these bugs. WASD contributes ALOT to it. There's still strange flooding issues that we have no idea what the cause is. We're doing everything in our power to figure out why these floods occur, which is why we figured out WASD is causing floods too.

Obsidian is also working on these issues, I wouldn't expect much change until the expansion pack though, it sounds like Atari is pushing more for them to patch things for the offline play before online play, which is why in 1.07 the DM client is finally getting real attention. 1.07 might even fix packet flood issues, who knows?
          I can confirm from Obsidian it will not be fixed in 1.07
          The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a single click on the left Tab or Shift key that disengages the auto run and makes you walk.
            "That which you cannot interdict, you incapacitate."
            Andrew Vachss

Comment

Surprisingly it actually has gotten somewhat a tad more stable since I used the clicking.
              (And yes I'm left handed as well)

Not surprisngly Sundren used to have lag problems up the wahzoo in previous patches, but with each new NWN2 update there comes a few fixes (like the DM client somewhat working instead of crashing!)...and some sort of new problem.

The expansion should only make things, wel more interesting. lol
              There's a thin line between the definition of genius and insanity; I cross it all the time.

Comment

I second the stability. I haven't had a problem since yesterday afternoon, even with a group of people frequently using "A" and "D" to turn in place. I cannot say the same for others, but things are running quite smoothly on my end of the monitor.

Comment

People are still doing this! Knock it off please! ^_^

Comment

Please, I have enough trouble logging on without lag.
                    Jaggath Tharn, Better Than Sex.

Lenier Miloan, Totally a Tormtar.

Comment

Originally posted by Raksha View Post
                      Yup, I use tracking. The conventional way is to hold shift and click, though it gets tiring for the pinky.

Is there some way to toggle always run and always walk?
                      "Shift W" seems to work for me. That is also the solution to eliminate the always walk problem to enable one to run.

Trying to walk intricately near deadly traps can be a challenge. The mouse click with always run can be suicide. Probably best to "Shift W" and then click with mouse to always walk around the traps.

Occasionally, after porting can leave one with virtually no vision of the scene in front and much of the access to click in an area other than back on the port greatly reduced. That click sends the char back through the portal from whence they came... annoying as hell. Also, moving the camera for better access to a clear path away from the portal can be quite time consuming and deadly when being attacked by multiple enemies. The W key can clear the char from the portal to subsequently allow useage of the mouse for movement. Every server has at least one of these areas... usually when the third person view is from within a mountain or behind a very tall door. Altering the design of the transition area can relieve the tendency to use the W key to clear these awkward and disadvantageous transition areas.
                      Last edited by Felnak; 08-31-2007, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felnak View Post
                        "Shift W" seems to work for me. That is also the solution to eliminate the always walk problem to enable one to run.

Trying to walk intricately near deadly traps can be a challenge. The mouse click with always run can be suicide. Probably best to "Shift W" and then click with mouse to always walk around the traps.

Occasionally, after porting can leave one with virtually no vision of the scene in front and much of the access to click in an area other than back on the port greatly reduced. That click sends the char back through the portal from whence they came... annoying as hell. Also, moving the camera for better access to a clear path away from the portal can be quite time consuming and deadly when being attacked by multiple enemies. The W key can clear the char from the portal to subsequently allow useage of the mouse for movement. Every server has at least one of these areas... usually when the third person view is from within a mountain or behind a very tall door. Altering the design of the transition area can relieve the tendency to use the W key to clear these awkward and disadvantageous transition areas.
                        There should be literally no circumstance where you use Shift W, this is the exact thing that is lagging the server which hurts everyone, people caught deliberately doing it will be warned.
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

What's the policy on using the A & D keys to turn in place? I've been using it limitedly in order to face the person I'm talking to - I tried turning around with clicking and it was extremely awkward. But I can be mean and not look at people if so needed.

Comment

A and D should be avoided but in general this isn't the main issue, it's just movement using the keys. Just avoid using the movement keys altogether.

George Carlin

Comment

I really don't think you get it. Hitting any of the movement keys FLOODS the server. It doesn't just send a couple packets, it hits it with a ton. Trust me, I ran tests. It'd lag even if I only held it down for short times. If you MUST turn to face people, obviously less time turning = less lag, but seriously, it's THAT bad to use these keys.

Comment

Ah, my apologies ... I underestimated how bad it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X