Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lag Beast - Walking with WASD? Proven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Beast - Walking with WASD? Proven!

I ran some tests, and sure enough! WASD keys definitely lag the server!

So, for everyone's sake, ONLY CLICK TO MOVE! We're looking for a way to maybe disable WASD movement on user's boxes so they can't even move with them.

Basically the WHOLE server gets flooded with tons of packets and replies. This makes it unable to be played by everyone. It happens EVERY time I used WASD keys.

Also using the click and hold method creates the same lag.

Comment

Ah, damn, WSAD is very easy way of getting around, but if its to stop lagging, i can click.

Comment

It does, I tested it alot. Saulus watched. Obsidian confirmed it even. Basically when you use WASD, unlike clicking, it constantly sends movement commands to the server. The serve then has to not only process them, it has to reply with information, and update other people. It's a known issue. NWN1 didn't have this issue because they used better formulating of the WASD movement commands which was reimplemented for NWN2. I'm not sure if there is a planned fix. Just don't use them.

Comment

Damn obsidian! BTW, the server keeps lagging like crazy now and then..

Comment

darn click and hold too? That's what I do.
            Jaggath Tharn, Better Than Sex.

Lenier Miloan, Totally a Tormtar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratigo View Post
              darn click and hold too? That's what I do.
              Yes. We tested that and it had the same result. Don't use it.
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Lucky for me im left handed.. so i use the number pads to move... suckas!

*snickers*

i know.. it is the same thing..
                Current: Dae'Vesta, freaky female half-drow assassin

Like Metal ? ----> http://www.myspace.com/cryofsickness2008

Comment

lol.. How else can you walk then? If you click it just makes you run.. I think theres a way to make it walk, but i cant remember >_<.

Comment

engage tracking...unless you're a ranger, then it wont slow you down. Engaging search also will do it, but it will spam that "you search for traps" message...
                    sigpic
                    How to Save $$ at Christmas

Fingal Haller - dwarven scout, locksmith and mercenary
                    Reuel - Human (absent-minded) Wizard
                    Rudash - Orc-blooded lad with a chip on his shoulder

Comment

Wait, does holding shift and clicking cause lag as well? Because i find that easier.

Comment

As long as you only click once, it only sends one movement command, walking or running makes no difference.

Comment

Ive always used *shift + click* for movement in nwn1 and nwn2, though i use the A and D buttons for turning on the spot so as to face the character or npc your talking to etc.
                          "Im a hero hunter, I hunt heroes... I havn't found any yet"

Comment

I believe as logn that we dont run miles or the whole virvidale run with the WSAD, then we'll be fine.. Turning can be done with A and D if I'm not wrong, just try to use one mouseclick when moving from your spot to another.
                            I have a +1 question brewing in this skull somewhere...

www.myspace.com/riotsweden

Comment

Turning affects it too, but usually turning is so brief people don't hardly notice. Let's try to follow these rules though and see if we can't get some of the lag gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X