Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneaking in Temples

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does having a constant Protection from Good effect up shield a baddie from being detected as such? Also, what if the good PC's trust and/or consider the baddie to be a friend? Would a high Perform skill/roll matter in giving off the impression one was good?

Not that I'm bad. Nope.
    Omnigalas Singul

Proud Owner of a Closed Greeting Thread

Comment

If the good guy is a paladin he will know if you're evil really. This will vary from being discomforted from being near you to feeling physically sick/angry whenever you're around. Hence the detect evil ability

Comment

You can always hang out in the snow covered mountains......we may not have shops, stores, vendors, taverns, temples, or people, but what we lack in substance we make up for in charm
        Tis now the very witching time of night,
        When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
        Contagion to this world.

Comment

On a serious note:
          Regardless of the ability of the temple to detect evil within it's borders, the good players on the server do need a place of Solace. It just happens that the majority of their RP happens in either the Temple of Helm, or the Triumverate, mainly due to the fact that both Balthasar and the Abbott Proskus can be found there.

On the evil side we do have the vastly underused Temple of Umberlee and other places to gather as well. And truly, if we knew everything they are going to throw at us all the time, what fun would that be?
          Tis now the very witching time of night,
          When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
          Contagion to this world.

Comment

I don't see a problem with an evil person being in a good temple or vice versa if they are just there and behaving themselves. If they start doing something to defile the temple then you might get the deity to notice. Otherwise, what is the problem?

I think you can easily explain the ruling on temple hiding as effects of the Hallow/Unhallow spells. Besides that, people hide far too easily in this game. Sorry but there isn't something to hide behind every two feet.

Comment

Originally posted by sharringtonm View Post
              Ok, so planar shifting and disguise can work.

Ok, players, every understand the ruling? No sneak, no Hips, no inviso, no polymorph, no disguise or alter self spells in Temples (any)

You may attempt a skill based disguise (which is opposed by spot only if someone is interacting with you, no spotting disguises with your back turned from across the room.) and etheralness only.
              No I don't understand this ruling at all. Rogues spy on things, are we implying that while clerics are in temples they are in constant mental contact with their deities who instantly inform them of the location of every person in the temple?

Why is it so horrible if a rogue/hips/or polymorphed character spies on the clergy?
              ~~~ || Characters: Pythios Wyrmborn || ~~~

Comment

Ebannon, please read this part of the thread all your questions are answered here:
                http://www.sundren.org/forum/showpos...32&postcount=9

And keep in mind, we make rules that not everyone will like, but that doesn't stop it from being a rule.

Comment

This seems like one of those iffy things that making rules for has its upside and downsides. I imagine even the people making the rules are doing things they would rather not at times, but have to due to game concepts being what they are.

I do not envy you devs and dms.

As for evil people in good temples and vice versa, I agree with some of the statements made. If you are behaving yourself, there is nothing to worry about. For some evil characters, 'evil' is a strong word. They are more like Lawful Bad, or Neutral Bad. Not that I am making excuses for wrongful activities (ic or irl). A murderous savage is likely to get punted out of every good temple on sight. A greedy thug who likes to fight and kill but never kills in cold blood, may make some good friends and may be allowed into good temples to discuss plans (though it may be reluctantly, and they may not be allowed to hear anything too delicate or important.) There are probably many cases as well where a person of opposing alignment would not WANT to go into a certain church or temple.
                  sigpic
                  Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

I believe the paladins detect evil and such is what the DM's are talking about. An evil person walks into the temple of helm or the triumvirate building which is stocked full of paladins, they are gonna detect that evil.
                    Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
                    "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

Sometimes, we make decisions that may not make sense by pure PnP rules, but they are meant to keep the overall server balance in tact. That's all

That being said, I'm sure if a DM is on, you can ASK them if you can attempt to spy on people in a temple. They would probably be happy to guide you in your sneaking attempt, so long as they can exercise regulation.
                      "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                      -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by The Ice Hag View Post
                        You can always hang out in the snow covered mountains......we may not have shops, stores, vendors, taverns, temples, or people, but what we lack in substance we make up for in charm
                        Once I can get past all those nice angry people hanging out on the approach I'll be there!

What everyone's said on the temple side makes sense, the overwhelming sense of righteousness and good made my char's allergies flare up anyway; spent hours sneezing after the last visit.
                        Eira Skald - Icy bitch.
                        Karsten Mannerheim - Idealist and murderer.
                        Vincent Hopkins - Witch Hunter and man of faith.
                        Aedan Gilter - Dreamer of broken dreams.
                        Henry L. Jones - Oh god, I can see forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamling View Post
                          I believe the paladins detect evil and such is what the DM's are talking about. An evil person walks into the temple of helm or the triumvirate building which is stocked full of paladins, they are gonna detect that evil.
                          Okay, I want to paint a scenario just for fun.

A bunch of good guys, trusted by the Triumvirate church, make friends with a total *bleep*-ing *bleep* who cares only about himself and money and even stole candy from a little kid (though he would never actually hurt the kid). He helped the good guys and plans to continue helping them with his excuse being "I can't make any cash in a place filled with chaos and idiots and I really owe those Banites a sword in the gut." A bit of an odd personality, but would someone like that (perhaps Neutral Evil) be allowed into the temple with the good guys?

Not trying to corner you or anything I am just curious.
                          sigpic
                          Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

This thread originally concerned the use of primarily Hide in Plain Sight as well as invisibility and polymorph variants to hide, and had nothing to do with alignment. Looks like the thread's been derailed. ^_^ If you want to ask anyone in-character about their policy on this, Tam would welcome the discussion.
                            Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
                            Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

This is kinda a pain for Rogues, though, who already do feel quite useless at times. I don't play one, but people always go around saying how terrible they are in three dozen different situations, and only being good at one; sneaking. But now, the value of their information is going to decrease because all the important things being discussed will take place in temples, which are areas now unavailable for spies. This rule kinda takes the last thing the Rogue really had up his RP sleeve.

They were already punted in the crotch by True Sight, but now, even without it, all anyone has to do is wander into a temple, and all of a sudden the Rogue walks into some invisible barrier that says "Go Away" when he attempts to follow.

I feel bad for this class.
                              Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

Urban legend. True Sight does not spot hidden opponents, no matter what the spell says.

And a rogue can still RP sneaking into the temple, or disguises, or any number of things. What this does prevent is said character just mashing the Stealth button and waltzing through without a care for anything much.
                                Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
                                Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

Working...
                                X