Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OOC and IC - Why do you hate me?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, don't worry Gothic Rose. There'll always be people who hate characters that are Mental/crazy/stupid/obnoxious... and the list goes on. I've seen it and experienced it on another server. Let them have their opinions, as long as some people still enjoy your char and EVERYONE doesnt hate it, then play her if its fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenil View Post
      (except for GBX I hate that guy!).
      If I wasn't hated I wouldn't be doing my job My job is to frustrate and anger people until they're SOOOO mad they go "Fine, we'll just do it your way, ASS!"

Then I say "Thank you, and by the way, you're a great RP'er"

For real, I think the quality of RP is going up on Sundren every day. I mean, it's really uplifting to see people coming together to make stories and conflict. Even the people who die, you can tell what sort of mark their character left because everyone is interested in the event.

Some of you may not realize it, but I make NPCs and play them kind of like PCs, because to me it's the only way to really get to know a group of players well. And seriously, I get impressed every time by how you guys portray your characters. Shoving my Drow into the Druid camp gave me the chance to get to know the druids, and Elves, Rangers, etc. Top notch RP without a doubt. I'd never have gotten to know the chars that well if I didn't shove that crap into their lives and see how they deal. And the NPCs tend to start neutral and let the events of the players around them shape them.

In the end though, it's enjoyable for me to DM for you people, and sometimes I gotta charge my pimp slaps (*Gen'Deimos crits Sylloven's cheek*) but it's all good fun for me. And when we get Sundren's areas further along, I'm looking forward to how the story climaxes for the valley affect you all (Yes, there's a main plotline).

So I guess what I'm trying to say, I might be harsh at times, but it's only cuz I'm trying to get you all to be what I know you all can be.

Now if I could work on player motivation for growth....

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
        If I wasn't hated I wouldn't be doing my job My job is to frustrate and anger people until they're SOOOO mad they go "Fine, we'll just do it your way, ASS!"
        Bollocks to that! I'll do it my own way no matter how much ya pimp slaps me

Oh... and to keep on topic! I have no OOC grudges against anyone for their charcter's behaviour, as long as the character actually has character (though I'm sure mine probably create frustration for some; sorrees, but I like playing extreme PCs).

Peace Y'all!
        I got one leg missin'
        How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
        Meet the Feebles

Comment

You are not your Character.
          Only reason I became frustrated with you that one time was because everytime you retorted in that one argument about the gem in the Druid Glade you would roll intimdate or taunt. That's what pissed me off. Since then I'm fine with you and even Ember is meh to Hlaine at the moment.
          Hlaine Eren Myr - Eternally arguing with his sadistic cat.

Patience Allows - Roaming the country-side kickin' jimmys and harassing freaks.

Comment

Don't be fooled by my 'fluffy' and 'cuddly' exterior, I actually do hate each and every one of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Echelon13 View Post
              Don't be fooled by my 'fluffy' and 'cuddly' exterior, I actually do hate each and every one of you.
              What fluffy and cuddly exterior? Your DM avatar is a Mindflayer, your characters are Adamus Dion and Akratan Harkanos....

There's nothing fluffy or cuddly about you. xP
              -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I think it's important to be revisited every so often.

To RP consistently, sometimes characters are going to do something that angers other characters and at times given the gravity of the situation, it can be rather difficult to keep the animosity IC.
                ~ Sigrun Hael - Ranger of the Viridale

~ Aoden Haven - Former Swordcaptain

Comment

Yeah, I hate that Sigrun asshole...
                  Hlaine Eren Myr - Eternally arguing with his sadistic cat.

Patience Allows - Roaming the country-side kickin' jimmys and harassing freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderleo View Post
                    I know this is an older thread, but I think it's important to be revisited every so often.

To RP consistently, sometimes characters are going to do something that angers other characters and at times given the gravity of the situation, it can be rather difficult to keep the animosity IC.
                    Not prone to OOC animosity over IC conflicts myself... but I've been on the other end of it, so I tend to agree. Conflict is fun peoples! If you've made an IC enemy then your RP options have just increased, and that's good.

Granted, things can go horribly wrong, but that's usually, though not always, the OOC aspect. If nasty **** happens ICly because of your IC conflicts, just roll with it!

[EDIT] Occasionally people behave in ways where a conflict needs to be taken OOC (metagaming by attacking in front of guards, that sorta thing), but that's really the only sort of thing (ie; violating PvP rules, or those about metagaming) which should be causing OOC conflicts!
                    I got one leg missin'
                    How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                    Meet the Feebles

Comment

I have an entire other aspect to add to this. OOCly hating yourself ICly. Make sure you can stand the character you're going to be RPing, because if you can't...well it'll just lead to all kinds of problems.

It can happen, it did to me -_-
                      Names Taallic.

Only time can save the world now.
                      Immortality is your last hope.
                      For my existence to be true, Hell's Fire must burn hotter than Heaven's Cold Gates can stand.

Comment

An incredibly good point. That's why I play a character almost part-and-parcel to myself. Easy enough to RP, in that sense. And if I OOC'ly hate my character ICly, I couldn't very well stop. That's just like suicide.
                        Krislin Sent
                        -----------------
                        Upholding the mysterious complexity of all things. A mirror to truth.

Comment

I started off with Immy Tallica, and just got so fed up with her, I had crap happen so she would leave Sundren. Taallic Vaarcs(No relation!) is much better.

Another thing, is that if someone does do something OOC, sometimes maybe you should see if you can let it slide. You never know whats going on with them. Maybe they just got fired, or someone died, and they were playing to relax(Assuming they didn't do something incredibly insane to ruin stuff for a huge number of people)

Take things in stride, and think before you speak I think work for this.
                          Names Taallic.

For my existence to be true, Hell's Fire must burn hotter than Heaven's Cold Gates can stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Scavar View Post
                            Another thing, is that if someone does do something OOC, sometimes maybe you should see if you can let it slide. You never know whats going on with them. Maybe they just got fired, or someone died, and they were playing to relax(Assuming they didn't do something incredibly insane to ruin stuff for a huge number of people)

Take things in stride, and think before you speak I think work for this.
                            Yeah. There I times when I accidentally let an OOC slip here and there for the exact reasons listed above. For the most part, the best reaction to this is to let it slide - reacting to it OOC can lead to a parenthesis storm.

I'd also like to say that sometimes it is difficult to do this, but I agree that it must be done. Last night a party I was running was *interrupted* by a DM event. You might think it strange, but I was actually pretty angry about it OOC. IC, I was pretty confused and in total denial of the situation, until the grim reality of a swarm of undead and a dying paladin finally made me realize *oh, maybe they arent just whistling dixie*.

The DM event was clearly not tailored for my party nor did it really try to engage my party in any way except through one paladin of Kelemvor, and the end result was the mass slaughter of most of my party. This was a *really* good example of where OOC and IC feelings mix together.

IC, my character was insulted (many of the "Rescuing" PC's were very "high and mighty" in tone, or at least one was), angered (the majority of his friends had died), and dissapointed (we literally only made it to the first huge undead giant and were excited to explore the rest).

OOC, I had misgivings towards the DM, whom im not going to name, because I really felt that this was total "Deus Ex Machina", which, if I read my DM manual correctly (and I know Sundren is a different beast entirely), is supposed to be pretty faux-pah (or however you spell it ). The situation presented felt like a movie , or a horror story, that my character could do nothing but sit and watch. That level of interraction, especially when it ends in death, doesn't feel like entertainment, it feels like punishment.

Here is where things change and also where I might have ran into danger:

Looking back at it now, I really don't care so much what the DM did, because now that I am a day away from it and I'm sitting at work and thinking like myself (and not my character), I realize that the DM was probably under pressure to get us out of there and that was the best he could come up with. When I messed with his event a little unintentionally (and I just read that post about DM poke rules *laughs*.) he managed to respond pretty politely and requested that I not open the locked gate again (chuckles).

I realize however that if I didn't disengage myself from the situation in the way I did , I could have easily combined the feelings (OOC and IC), which would have ended up in a lot of negative OOC feelings towards the DM and the people who played the higher-level characters. I realized that since I really was just one person, that OOC/IC were merely mental divisions I had arbitrarily placed on my own thoughts and that physiologically, they were one in the same.

So, I think my advice to anyone is, and I give the same advice to myself, first: *always think before you decide to point the finger at the person behind the curtain* and second: *if you get angry while role playing, you might want to tell yourself to exit the situation as soon as possible, because you probably need to chill out*

Anyway, no harm done, just thought I'd share.

-Deul.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, good post, and Id feel the same.
                              "Im a hero hunter, I hunt heroes... I havn't found any yet"

Comment

I see that post twice, but that's cool because I think it's an awesome post.
                                Names Taallic.

Comment

Working...
                                X