Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armor, and Removal Thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhazeal View Post
    How do you keep a hat on while you sleep, anyway?
    put some super glue on those horns of his and it should stay on.

Comment

Huh? I never knew its impossible to sleep with a hat on...

Comment

I have sleeped with a hat on before, Just gotta lean back and sit on the floor keeping your back on the wall, Anyone who is evil will tell you this is the most effective form of sleep seeing how theres so many people that are out to get you.
        Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

Well Jaggath is melded with his armor in a symbiotic relationship. He can summon it to appear at will and it'll appear.
          Jaggath Tharn, Better Than Sex.

Lenier Miloan, Totally a Tormtar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratigo View Post
            Well Jaggath is melded with his armor in a symbiotic relationship. He can summon it to appear at will and it'll appear.
            QFT. Seriously, that man is his armor.

Comment

I think the whole idea of not being allowed to rest in armor is kind of silly. Sorry but in 20+ years of armored fighting I can't even count the times I've fallen asleep in the stupid stuff. At one war I spent 3 whole days in my armor only taking it off to jump in a big pond 3 or 4 times to cool off. Heck I actually swam in my samurai armor (without the helm) just to show some guys that it could be done (the leg armor was a pain as it dragged me down but I was still able to swim for about 100' doing a breast stroke and holding a polearm).

Constantly sleeping in your armor will cause you to get some nasty bruises and sores (think of them as rubbing sores and you'll get the idea), but wearing the stuff for a day or two with some breaks isn't hard to do. Also plate is more comfortable to sleep in than chain, especially on rough surfaces as it supports our body.

The only trick is loosening the waist and shoulder straps when you lay down, and then doing them up again before fighting.

I understand why the script is in place on the server, but since we don't have 'random' encounters when sleeping (hint hint) its more of a waste of time than not. Now...if theres a random encounter trigger that goes off when someone rests it would really make more sense (and make the 'safe camping zones' much more important). I seem to recall a sleep script that did just that for NWN1, I used it when I was running my own PW and it was really cool as I could set the chance of encounters per area (heavy chance in some dungeons, less chance in some areas, 100% chance in the graveyard or on the road). It made guarding the sleepers much more important too.
              ----------------------
              Earl Montblanc

Comment

Yeah, but the stupid thing is the moment a monster pops up you wake up again and you dont get back your spells or hp if it happens 100% of the time. So the people gaurding you can't just simply protecting you and let you sleep n regain your spells.. You wake up too

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Serf View Post
                  I think the whole idea of not being allowed to rest in armor is kind of silly. Sorry but in 20+ years of armored fighting I can't even count the times I've fallen asleep in the stupid stuff. At one war I spent 3 whole days in my armor only taking it off to jump in a big pond 3 or 4 times to cool off. Heck I actually swam in my samurai armor (without the helm) just to show some guys that it could be done (the leg armor was a pain as it dragged me down but I was still able to swim for about 100' doing a breast stroke and holding a polearm).

Constantly sleeping in your armor will cause you to get some nasty bruises and sores (think of them as rubbing sores and you'll get the idea), but wearing the stuff for a day or two with some breaks isn't hard to do. Also plate is more comfortable to sleep in than chain, especially on rough surfaces as it supports our body.

The only trick is loosening the waist and shoulder straps when you lay down, and then doing them up again before fighting.

I understand why the script is in place on the server, but since we don't have 'random' encounters when sleeping (hint hint) its more of a waste of time than not. Now...if theres a random encounter trigger that goes off when someone rests it would really make more sense (and make the 'safe camping zones' much more important). I seem to recall a sleep script that did just that for NWN1, I used it when I was running my own PW and it was really cool as I could set the chance of encounters per area (heavy chance in some dungeons, less chance in some areas, 100% chance in the graveyard or on the road). It made guarding the sleepers much more important too.
                  I suppose I could also say, I'm sorry but I don't ever remember being able to cast a fireball spell on the last vacation I ever went on. DnD isn't about realism, neither is NWN. That's far from what we're trying to accomplish. We are however adding more challenge and getting in touch with some of the more PnP style play.
                  The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

How is removing your armor in a safe are more like PnP gaming? My players would usually set up a perimeter and watches when they camped to prevent surprise attacks, but I digress. If there was a reason for removing armor, I'd understand, but right now there doesn't seem to be any and as others have pointed out, you can't even wear a hat to sleep which isn't even armor.

As I said in my post, if there were random encounter chances in non-safe rest areas it would add to the flavour of the game, but right now it seems pretty pointless to have to take off your gear.

Quoting Saulus
                    "I suppose I could also say, I'm sorry but I don't ever remember being able to cast a fireball spell on the last vacation I ever went on. DnD isn't about realism, neither is NWN"

I couldn't agree more with you on the game, but I wasn't being snarky about the armor I was mearly pointing out some facts that I have through real life experience, found. Most gamers know squat about real life armor and combat and base their 'facts' upon gaming knowledge or movies. Both of which usually get things wrong. I was pointing out a reason why I thought that the armor rules were arbitrary and silly in a logical fashion with real examples to back my argument/observation. If you get my drift.

I'd love the server to be more like PnP gaming, but I doubt that it is even possible due to problems with the game (lag, clicking troubles, the speed of combat, ect), but that isn't what I was discussing...hehehehe
                    ----------------------
                    Earl Montblanc

Comment

Random encounters would take a long time for us to make because the consistency of creature spawns has to match the exact area, which leaves open too many variables in a PW environment. It's unlikely it will ever happen.
                      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Well... I have a possible solution.

When I was playing HAZE they had a rather nifty script where you had to stand for a certain amount of time (5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc) depending on the armour type, and if you moved you were granted a armour penalty.... ever thought about implementing something like this?
                        ~Lyonette L'cyr (Rook)-- Deader than Malaclypse

~Megandlla Uyth 'Llar -- In a land Far Far away!

~Emilee Mistwalker -- A Female Sigrun? Pfft, far cooler--.... eh.... Hated!!

Comment

How does that exactly work? So you rest, then wait for a while?

Comment

No no. To remove or put on the armour you have to stand still for a specified amount of seconds, and if you move you get like a -1,-4,-blah AC because you took off/put on your armour hastily

Comment

AH.. I see. How would this effect resting though?

Comment

Well to rest you need to take off your armour right? So with this system you will need not "blink" your armour off and on, instead there is a process to it that replicates it being taken off and on! No need for emotes unless you wish to!

Comment

Working...
                                X