Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names, how do you come up with yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to hint subtly (or sometimes not subtly) at some characteristic of the character.

Then, i'll discover later that the name I chose was also the name of a monster of the week on Power Rangers. >_<

Comment

Naming a character takes me forever. I basically take names from everywhere: history, novels, languages. One of my Sundren characters as an example:

Mircalla Mirabel, Colibrite
      Mircalla is an anagram of Carmilla, from J.T.S. Le Fanu's fantastic novella of the same name. In his setting, vampires can only give anagrams of their names as false names, so the titular character introduces herself as Mircalla and Millarca at various points.

Mirabel is the surname of a character in Alastair Reynold's Chasm City, namely Tanner Mirabel. A point is made of the character having a commoner's first name and an aristocrat's surname.

Put them together and you have a Colibrite agent with aspirations of nobility.
      WWW•REKOV•COM

Comment

I tend to think of the character, and what their background may be. Is it human? Human of humble origins, or perhaps high born? An elf? A dwarf? Each one will require a very different name, and a different sound quality to them.

Sound factors heavily in my decisions, as does the way the letters look together. And too, an unusual, not commonplace name that may have a particularly lovely sound to it.

Or, when that fails?

Birds.
        River Swift

"Timing is the main difference between being a hero, and being an asshole" -River

"Nothing says "I matter" quite like having a price on your head" -Sandro

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
          I tend to think of the character, and what their background may be. Is it human? Human of humble origins, or perhaps high born? An elf? A dwarf? Each one will require a very different name, and a different sound quality to them.

Sound factors heavily in my decisions, as does the way the letters look together. And too, an unusual, not commonplace name that may have a particularly lovely sound to it.

Or, when that fails?

Birds.
          You named your best character after a noun and an adjective. No birds were involved in the making of that name:P

Comment

Originally posted by DM Inquisition View Post
            You named your best character after a noun and an adjective. No birds were involved in the making of that name:P
            Swift is a bird, silly!
            WWW•REKOV•COM

Comment

Names... human names. Books, normally side characters, or the names of toons my old guild leader played that I think up of on my own then realize what I've done after it's to late. Dwarves, elves and alike I go and find one of their dictionary's and mash things to gether or just use one random on from online.
              Bram Drismon: Sundrens Centurio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2GVlQkn4Q
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpryp2OlUQ
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QUZzeZoPQ

Comment

Most of the names I use are real world names, that have a significance in my life. Alexander and Oliver are inverse names of two of my daughters. For Hashart, I have a friend that actually does various art work with marijuana flowers, so I just put Hash-art together.

Generally I struggle with names though.
                Active Characters
                Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
                Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
                Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
                Dorin Hammond- Scout
                Seith Ronson- Master of War
                "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
                Socrates
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jhickey View Post
                  For Hashart, I have a friend that actually does various art work with marijuana flowers, so I just put Hash-art together.
                  I can no longer think of him the same way anymore.

Edited add on:

Figured I'd mention how I got my characters names:

Cruven, not sure how I got his first name, I believe it was one of the auto names that I just changed slightly and it's one of my favorite names I've used to date. His last name is a simple one, its german for slaughter (among some other similar translations I've been told)

Marcus, first name I based 100% off of the Underworld movie series. His last name I believe was also an auto name thanks to nwn2.

Dav.. I have no idea where I got his first name... second name I just followed the naming conventions of some more famous or not-so-famous halfling/hobbits where it's just two words mashed together.

Now on other servers I've mastered my favorite names, that of gnomes. I honesty have no idea how I come up with these, I just come up with some obnoxiously long yet really really fun to say names, here are a few I've used in the past:
                  Findigonk Holygem
                  Bobbanokkin Nacklenock (my personal favorite)
                  Fudwick Gopherhands
                  Bonoflonk Whispywalker

I've also at one point melded most of them together for one single gnome:
                  Findigonk Bonowick Nacklenock the Holygem.
                  My to-be toon:
                  Shafiq Al-Mawt: Zakharan myrkulite.

My tomb of old toons:
                  Cruven Schlachten - Blood Reaver of Garagos, Blackwood Company Elite, Hellstrom Head of Security
                  Marcus Waynard- Horned Harbinger, fear his best bud Frank!... and Jim, Bob, Sue, and Jane...
                  Davlamin Frostfoot - Frosty Snowflake, the Frozen Fist of Auril, sworn enemy of the Second Wind fire pit.

Click here to see the full image of my avatar, by Algido.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuraKing View Post
                    Now on other servers I've mastered my favorite names, that of gnomes. I honesty have no idea how I come up with these, I just come up with some obnoxiously long yet really really fun to say names, here are a few I've used in the past:
                    Findigonk Holygem
                    Bobbanokkin Nacklenock (my personal favorite)
                    Fudwick Gopherhands
                    Bonoflonk Whispywalker

I've also at one point melded most of them together for one single gnome:
                    Findigonk Bonowick Nacklenock the Holygem.
                    Gnome names are great fun.

My favorite for one of my old chars was Ruprecht Firewine (Ruprecht being a Low german form of rupert or robert and Firewine bridge being where he came from).

You can literally make up a silly name and it works for a gnome. My opening character on sundren may well be a gnome now...
                    Originally posted by roguethree
                    If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Names usually take the longest amount of time in character creation for me. With nonhumans, I make something that has a translation hinting to their birth in their native language. There's a trove of fantasy resources online for common words and phrases, so I trial-and-error until I find a name I like. It's a chore, but it gets the job done.

Human names are more enjoyable to brainstorm. Forgotten Realms has innumerable mirrors to real world locations, so I research something based on the equivalent to my character's ethnicity. I take cultural naming standards, superstitions, and mythical or historical figures into consideration.

I make sure it's easy to remember or has a very simplified pet form above all else, regardless of the character's race.

Comment

Sometimes I use inspiration from books I've read. Other times I'll take a look at where I want my character to have been from in the realm, and then see about what kind of culture that the realm is taken from, and use babyname sites to find what appeals most to me.
                        Olivia Kimaris - Paladin of Lathander and Knight of the Northern Watch
                        Diary of Olivia

Originally posted by Cornuto
                        Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Working...
                        X