Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names, how do you come up with yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names, how do you come up with yours?

Character names are one of my favorite parts of RPing, I just love coming up with a fun, cool, and interesting name for a character. So I was wondering, how does everyone else come up with their characters names? Do you just use that random button? Do you just wing it and make it out of thin air? Or some other way?

Personally the way I come up with names has changed over time from me being lazy and just slightly changing the random button, to using research into RL cultural names or sometimes even variations of latin words.

That is, unless I make a gnome, then I make it up on my own and make it intentionally the most fun name to read I can :P
    My to-be toon:
    Shafiq Al-Mawt: Zakharan myrkulite.

My tomb of old toons:
    Cruven Schlachten - Blood Reaver of Garagos, Blackwood Company Elite, Hellstrom Head of Security
    Marcus Waynard- Horned Harbinger, fear his best bud Frank!... and Jim, Bob, Sue, and Jane...
    Davlamin Frostfoot - Frosty Snowflake, the Frozen Fist of Auril, sworn enemy of the Second Wind fire pit.

Click here to see the full image of my avatar, by Algido.

I tend to use names from the real world equivalent of where my character's come from. Anasath was a bit of an exception, her name is a modified middle-eastern, egyptian name Asenat. Her name was originally Asenat, though I sort of westernized it as her 'rebirth' name she took after becoming a priestess of Lathander.

But yeah, Aesa is from Norse mythology meaning Goddess.

Gabrielle is a French name meaning woman of god.

Chione was again Egyptian because of her Mulan ancestry.

Taking real world equivalent's is my way of coming up with character names. I tend to put more of a flair of 'destiny' around the name meaning if the character is religious or holy. So Aesa's name is just a name for a barbarian, Gabrielle was more fitting for a warrior of god.
    Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
    Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
    Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
    Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
    Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
    Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

In Forgotten Realms settings, I tend to use the sections on dwarven naming in the old 2e supplement FR11 "Dwarves Deep" as a guide.

Almost all the NPC dwarven population in dwarven holds probably have fairly standard dwarfy names. For outlaws, exiles, the clan-less, adventurers and other unusual sorts, dwarves who grew up in human lands, and those travelling through human lands, almost anything goes, including suitable human names.

If I wanted to finesse it I would just enter the primary name into the NWN2 engine, and add various qualifiers such as clan name to suit the situation during chat. But when it comes to the crunch, I keep entering the clan name during character creation. Otherwise, it feels like I'm stripping the character of their clan, which just feels plain wrong. Maybe next time.

Comment

For me, it's one of three things: A) I have a name pop into my head while I'm making a character, and I'll just roll with it. B) I'll just hit random name, and change something about it, or C) I'll take a look around the room, and the first word I can turn into a name that I see I go with. Not the best processes in the word, but they're what I go with.
        We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

I typically get IC in RL and start creating a voice that fits the toon (yes I do voices IRL). This also helps me to form the character's personality. I have even been known to build toons around voices I do.

I will sometimes look up names and scroll though lists till I feel inspired.
          • Elandra: Was a variant of Yolanda, a friend of mine that gave me the basis of her personality. (Nezzerscape is the name of my PC stolen from the Matrix nebuchadnezzar)
          • Alexandra: Stemmed form the lore I build around Elandra. The name had to be similar but different.
          • Yodglum: This toon was based off of Yoda, I started doing his voice and then came up the idea.
          • Ash: I started off with an old voice, then as I was speaking the words "Old Ash" came up and thus the name.
          Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
          Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
          Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
          Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

I take fractions of words and smash them together: (A+Candle+Slain) +(Draconian+Dove) = Andelain Dovenian
            "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

I usually sit back and visualize my character. I begin to hear them speak on who they are and let them tell me their name. Weird but true.
              Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

I usually pick a name that seems to fit what I want my character to be.
                GMT -9

Comment

Sacrifice lesser names to the Name Gods and heed their wisdom.
                  Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
                  Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
                  Well, you've probably missed it
                  There was never anything there
                  In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

I use other people's name from people i know.

Comment

Originally posted by Mournas View Post
                      I take fractions of words and smash them together: (A+Candle+Slain) +(Draconian+Dove) = Andelain Dovenian
                      I like that 😯

Normally I take the character in mind and give them a stereotype then figure out a name based on that.

I wanted my rogues name to have a Victorian feel thus Lester. If I make a warrior who uses an axe I might go for something Old Norse. If I'm making a necromancer I might want to go with something eastern european. A shaman I would probably be looking at something African. I also use names from mythology and literature but go for less obvious ones; Harvard instead of Odin or Orolin instead of gandalf.
                      Originally posted by roguethree
                      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

For NPCs I'll often have to come up with names quickly, which is sad because I'm terrible at it. While I like to avoid nominative determinism as a player (though frequently don't) I'm less careful with NPCs - Though it's always good to avoid going the full Dickens and rolling NPCs like "Chumly Niceguy" or "Draco Badcrook".

Otherwise it's just sounds that work together to create a nice sounding mess.

Lastly, if I'm in a real pinch then I'll just have people defined by role (something that having just read the Annihilation/Authority/Acceptance trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer makes me chuckle a bit more), though normally with the Welsh twist of Jones. Jones the Baker, Jones the Smith, Jones the Butcher, Jones the Sociopath, etc, etc..
                        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Lots of whiskey

Comment

Originally posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
                            I like that 😯

Normally I take the character in mind and give them a stereotype then figure out a name based on that.

I wanted my rogues name to have a Victorian feel thus Lester. If I make a warrior who uses an axe I might go for something Old Norse. If I'm making a necromancer I might want to go with something eastern european. A shaman I would probably be looking at something African. I also use names from mythology and literature but go for less obvious ones; Harvard instead of Odin or Orolin instead of gandalf.
                            Thanks. For Elfs I use the Dragon Magazine that has the elf name generator in it. Really good resource. All the suffix and prefixes for the names have meanings and I tend to base my name off the character idea. http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html That's the one for Elfs there's another one for Drow. I think Intrepid even mentioned there might be one similar to this for Dwarfs.
                            "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

I steal.

Sometimes, I mangle them afterwards.
                              But please, keep one thing in mind for me. What have you become when even nightmares fear you?
                              - Nessa

Comment

Working...
                              X