Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion

I'm thinking about playing yet another priest like character. This doesn't make me very original I know, but.... Anyway, I have been considering the different threads on post wipe Sundren. From what GD says, the various temples are going to be slimmed down. So, instead of 5 temples in Sundren city, there are going to be only twoish? Now, I know this doesn't mean you can't be a priest of any obscure deity that you want provided it is in the same river as FR lore. But, I guess I am not sure what this means for the individual cities and I don't want to assume. Mostly because I am horrible about assumptions. Can someone clue me in so I am not confused?

I am also curious as to what other people think of playing religious characters. How do you RP your priest characters in respect to the individual gods dogma? Do most people go for the literal interpretation? Do you use dogma as a general guideline? Do you feel that all priests must be clerics or pallies? I guess I am just looking to see other takes on playing someone who is heavily influenced by the divine. If anyone has some input or advice, I would be interested in hearing it or uh ... reading it anyway.
    GMT -9

I had a similar question awhile back.

Originally posted by [DM] Grinning Death View Post
    Religions won't change much, tbh. There will always be the presence of however many gods, because it is Faerun. But actual temples are fewer in number.

1. Avanthyr has Helm/Selune
    2. Aquor has Sune
    3. Sestra has Bane/Myrkul
    4. Sundren has Helm/Triumvirate

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

Comment

As far as how literal I am with the deities dogma, it depends on my characters alignment and the alignment of the deity. If I played lawful he'd be to the book and close minded about it. My chaotic characters are generally more open minded. Many chaotic deities have decentralized temples, even cults with different views, while lawful ones tend to organize and unite.

Comment

I am also curious as to what other people think of playing religious characters. How do you RP your priest characters in respect to the individual gods dogma? Do most people go for the literal interpretation? Do you use dogma as a general guideline? Do you feel that all priests must be clerics or pallies? I guess I am just looking to see other takes on playing someone who is heavily influenced by the divine. If anyone has some input or advice, I would be interested in hearing it or uh ... reading it anyway.
        The rules do allow for a wide array of alignments and interpretations of deities dogma's. Some gods (Hoar and the Red Knight are good examples of this) have both paladins AND blackguards, and by no means do they get along, but both are granted power so both in essence do carry the 'true' message of their deity. Sparking some interesting inter-church drama. It really all comes down to the deity in question, as well as the church's present (or lack thereof).

Helm is another example, he's a paladin bolstering deity, but his message is generally interpreted as protection of the weak at all costs, and inferring the greater good. So Helm has followers ranging from virtuous Paladins as shining examples as any Tormtar, to remorseless inquisitor's, who will burn down an entire village to root out a cult.

It's basically built into the religions of faerun that there are wildly different interpretations of how to carry out a deities will. Even the gods themselves are not infallible, and change as time passes.

As for what makes a priest, it depends on how you define the term. I feel like some measure of divine connection can make a character serve as a divine intermediary between someone and their deity, be it cleric, favored soul, druid, ranger, paladin, blackguard, acolyte all these character's could play the part depending on their level of experience/knowledge.

Though in another sense, someone who gives sermons, knows the tenants of their god well, offers advice to those who ask in relation to that dogma, etc. Could be seen as a priest as well without being any of the above.

TLDR; Read your dogma, do what you want, and let the DM's sort out the rest!
        Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
        Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
        Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
        Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
        Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
        Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

I'll dive in

Personally I love playing and DM religious things, there's so many facets and intricacies to it.

First, I don't think the availability of a fixed place of worship should be a decider in anything. While most religions will have one or more main temples their deity there aren't huge amounts that will have temples in most towns. For most a temple is a fairly meaningless end-game target.

Instead most of them rely on word of mouth and travelling wise/holy folk to spread the word and see to it that the gods wills are observed correctly.

Playing the itinerant priest is, for me, the most fun option. Freed from the shackles of having to run/maintain a temple you're at liberty to play to the aspects of your god that you enjoy without the day-to-day mechanics of running an expensive lump of divine real estate.

Even if there is a temple to your characters deity in a town, you're by no means obliged to be involved with either the temple or the town it's in. All of the more structured "we've a temple in every land" type groups will have numerous sects, schisms and different ways of interpreting dogma, just as with real life religion there's no single way of adhering to your deity of choice, though many will claim to offer the one true way!

At it's core the Cleric should be a priest, someone who is in the world to spread the work and will (or their interpretation there of) in the world. How they go about this will vary hugely between deities but ultimately they should be working to further their deities goals in some form.

Also, always remember that many of the deities have a substantial feeling of duality about them, and many evil deities are accepted as a part of life. Myrkul for instance is scary (because who isn't scared of death) but also inevitable, most common folk wouldn't dream of upsetting his clergy and will pay him respects in his roles as death, funerary and father autumn. Talona is certainly evil, but when sickness is spreading you can bet villagers will throw lots of donations her way in order to be spared, or go out of their way to seek one of her clergy for a cure to some unfortunate poison (and expect such things to come at a cost), likewise you can bet all sorts of plotters and assassins will be going to the same clergy for opposite reasons. Many of the good deities also have such duality or rather contrary dogmas.

Don't be afraid to go with the less obvious paths, there's a lot of fun to be had in the corners of the deities outlooks, look at how some combinations of domains and powers can be a lot more engaging than the easy ones.

Lastly, don't get tunnel vision. FR is wildly multifaith and while people will have a single 'bestest god' they'll worship a shit load of others as the day, season and life-events dictate. This goes for clergy as much as the common folk.
          It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
          Sydney Smith.

Comment

Everyone's made great points about this topic thus far, and I agree with them on how to play a priest dogma wise. What I'm going to say will touch more so on the class aspect of things for religious characters.

For starters, you don't actually have to play a cleric if you want to play a priest. While a cleric is a priest, the summary of what they are doesn't stop there; a cleric is quite literally a priest who their god found to be so devoted to their dogma and principles, that the god made that priest a vessel for their voice. A cleric isn't just part of the clergy- they're usually somewhere near the top, in their hometown's church, but this by no means keeps them stuck in that town. A cleric can, should, and in some cases must, go out into the world to work their god's will. So, not just a priest, but a super priest.

However, the priests beneath that cleric in a church's hierarchy can be pretty much anything. Normally, if they're npcs, they'd be the adept class, but if it's a PC, all you really need to play a priest is have your character really know their god. So, for example, you could play a fighter who worships Lathander, who when not out bringing the fight to the undead and other bad things that go bump in the night, gives sermons on how Lathander's light brings with it hope for a new day, and that Lathander rewards devote worshippers, using your own strength and prowess as proof. (ie: "Yeah, I just fought a horde of orcs alone, and won. And I never would've been able to do it without the Morning Lord having my back.")

In that example, you're still a priest, a pretty unorthodox one, just not quite in the same level as a cleric. Which, some may argue gives you even more freedom to work your god's will in the world. Anyways, I'ma stop rambling, hope this helps!
            We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie View Post
              ... Snip!...

Agreed, to quote my previous thoughts on classes and divinity.

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
              Three brothers join the local church of Helm, they all submit themselves to training with sword, shield, arms and armour, they dedicate themselves to studying the scriptures and they all pray at the allotted times with equal conviction and dedication to the temple and Helm himself. All are granted a vision from helm and are inducted by the temple into the honorable ranks of the Everwatch Knights.

The eldest has always been the leader and had the charm and grace to see them through the various scrapes that youth has brought their way. In the church he blossoms into a fine leader who inspires his men with his integrity, skill at arms and faith. His faith is such that he can see into the hearts of the men he leads and see any stains upon them or call upon his conviction to restore the flagging stamina of those he leads.

As a second son the brother of middle years has always found himself as the advisor to his elder brothers leader. Able to offer advice and alternatives or to stand proud alongside his brothers. He becomes known as a man who's word can be trusted and whose wise advice on matters of body and soul should be listened to. Although he prays as no harder and no more fervently than his his brothers he has found an internal fire and can channel his faith into minor miracles and acts to bolster those who serve Helm, or hamper those who are Helms enemies.

The youngest brother has always fought hard to be seen as an equal to his older siblings, under the watchful eye of helm he has learned to channel his faith into acts of martial prowess that far outstrip the abilities of his his brothers and most others. He sees his connection to the sword of helm as much of a divine thing as any act that his brothers may be able to summon.

Each of the brothers serves the church faithfully, preaches its word, takes opportunities to talk to potential converts and speak proudly of their role as Knights of Helm and the Everwatch.

The fact that mechanically one is a paladin, one a cleric and one a fighter and hopeful weapon master is utterly irrelevant.
              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

I've been toying with a fortune's fool style of story that ends up leading a younger adult male down the path of developing an uneasy, quirky, and passionate (not to be confused with intimate) relationship with a deity as a favored soul.
                "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Oh heck yes, don't hesitate to play a priest. They are great characters to play. Passionate and/or conflicted about their faith. Other faiths seen as despicable or weak falsehoods.
                  In later years Sundren had few priests. I believe they were perceived to have unfair advantages in spell buffs and were avoided by players, but they are just interesting characters all around.
                  I always researched intensely on a deity I based my priest characters on, but like real life, there is no cookie cutter approach to faith.
                  I had two different clerics, one was deeply religious, consumed by aspects of their faith and what their faith provided for their core values and at times conflicted by their faith and who they were and another character that really was rather superficially religious for the power alone.
                  You don't have to be that devout, unfailing, priest championing your particular brand of faith.
                  Roll up a cleric and push your religion on Sundren, you have a worthwhile Cause, to save some souls.
                  Now I always wanted a priestess of Loviatar, how awesome would that be?
                  Anyone want to roll up a Loviatar revival?

Comment

If I go religious character myself, I'll probably go Sune and play with the odd narcissistic nature and 'attractive means you are a good person' mindset that just seems odd(to me) for a good aligned deity. I imagine these characteristics are seen more so as an chaotic thing in the d&d world. He'll be a playboy type, maybe with some ric flair type of outfits.

Or, if I want to paddle against the stream of things a bit...

Slarkrethel! Start reading some Lovecraft. Do some Kraken worship, try to get the Kraken Society going in Sundren.

Comment

Originally posted by Redjack View Post
                      Anyone want to roll up a Loviatar revival?
                      I had one who rolled around in shiny silver armor, a lot of people thought he was a good guy. Haha, Blackguard Feint Tanker, was a fun toon to play. I would make another.
                      "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Woot, tons of good ideas on priests and how to handle dogma. It is always nice to get other ideas because I often like to try to completely change the personality of my main characters from the last one I had. I say try because RP can be very subjective.

I do have a few different ideas for a religious sort of toon in mind though. Currently I am leaning towards Talos as the God of choice. I think I can spin out a personality that is hopefully fun to interact with. The goal is also to keep the ideas of the church of Talos upper most in people's minds when they interact with my toon as well. But I never really get a full concept of my toons though until I play them.

If Talos doesn't pan out. I like the idea of Selune. She has an interesting profile. I think I could manage a decent priestess with the concept I have. My last idea was another Sunite. If I did though, it would have to be a paladin. My last Sunite was pretty typical of most Sunites on the surface, so I would need a completely different angle if I ever made another one. Who knows though. Maybe this concept will be a good fit for me. As for Loviatar, I've always wanted to try a toon influenced heavily by Loviatar. I have never made one though because I am positive I would do it poorly.
                        GMT -9

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzziebunny View Post
                          Woot, tons of good ideas on priests and how to handle dogma. It is always nice to get other ideas because I often like to try to completely change the personality of my main characters from the last one I had. I say try because RP can be very subjective.

I do have a few different ideas for a religious sort of toon in mind though. Currently I am leaning towards Talos as the God of choice. I think I can spin out a personality that is hopefully fun to interact with. The goal is to also to keep the ideas of the church of Talos upper most in people's minds when they interact with my toon as well. But I never really get a full concept of my toons though until I play them.

If Talos doesn't pan out. I like the idea of Selune. She has an interesting profile. I think I could manage a decent priestess with the concept I have. My last idea was another Sunite. If I did though, it would have to be a paladin. My last Sunite was pretty typical of most Sunites on the surface, so I would need a completely different angle if I ever made another one. Who knows though. Maybe this concept will be a good fit for me. As for Loviatar, I've always wanted to try a toon influenced heavily by Loviatar. I have never made one though because I am positive I would do it poorly.
                          Seeing you go from RPing Chime to a Talosian would be surreal, and awesome.
                          Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
                          Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
                          Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
                          Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
                          Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
                          Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

Working...
                          X