Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiki posting question - Martial law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiki posting question - Martial law

There is a slight conflict in the Wiki on what courtesies the members of the Church of Helm have under martial law.

In the Sundren Laws section it states that paladins of the Church of Helm have been extended trust by the government.

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...aw_Enforcement

In the Church of Helm section it states that the Church of Helm has been extended trust by the government.

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...Church_of_Helm

With Ryland not being a paladin for RP purposes I need guidance on what the proper RP is. Should he be confronting people legally under martial law or should he just be acting in accordance with his oath to Helm?
    Ashard Velmont - Gentleman scoundrel
    Ryland Padant - A dedicated soul

Personally I despise people openly referencing their own or other peoples classes (aside from some obvious exceptions).

"I'm a rogue."
    "I'm a cleric and master of shrouds"
    "I'm an arcane trickster"
    "I'm a ranger paladin"

Seriously? *cough* you and the horse you rode in on.

Think outside the class name box. Please. It's as bad as people knowing their alignment without having the capacity to do so.

What I mean to say is it's probably better if it's the Church of Helm, rather than specific classes and fairly insubstantial classes.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

Helm, alongside the Corps, have been allowed to make arrests and to uphold the law as they see fit in the current situation within Sundren. And that's all. They can enact authority if they see the law being broken, but they do not have the additional powers that the Legion, Blades, and Hands have under martial law.

These being, amongst others, the ability to arrest someone if they deem it necessary in accordance with suspicious activity, suspicious behavior, etc.

Basically, Helmites = law upholders if being broken

Legion = preemptive arrests or other actions in order to safeguard the people of Sundren.

Being a paladin has nothin' to do with it.
      "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Thank you both. In all fairness to the Sundren player base this question came up as a result of some good RP this afternoon. The other party involved in the RP knew from in-game conversations that Ryland has never taken the vows of a paladin and after questioning someone about an admitted action a conversation ensued about whether Ryland overstepped the courtesy extended to Helmites under martial law. The other player RP'ed that Ryland overstepped his authority and I RP'ed that he did not.

My main concern in asking the question is to get the wiki clarified. Thanks again.

Comment

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...aw_Enforcement

The above was corrected to remove the reference to paladins and to state generically the Church of Helm.

Comment

The Church of Helm Everwatch (IE: any Paladin, Fighter, Cleric, etc actively participating in the militant arm of the Church) serve as symbols of authority, vigilance, and law within all of Sundren. I assume most commoners see them in the same (maybe even higher) way they see a Legionnaire. Sundren, as a Nation, is largely devoted to Helm and it is by and far the predominant religion of the Valley.
            Active
            Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
            Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
              Personally I despise people openly referencing their own or other peoples classes (aside from some obvious exceptions).

"I'm a rogue."
              "I'm a ranger paladin"

Seriously? *cough* you and the horse you rode in on.

Think outside the class name box. Please. It's as bad as people knowing their alignment without having the capacity to do so.

What I mean to say is it's probably better if it's the Church of Helm, rather than specific classes and fairly insubstantial classes.
              When we are only given the class name box and the alignment clarification is handy. I think that's all Standur wanted :S Nothing sinister!
              Originally posted by roguethree
              If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Considering the Everwatch Knights, which Sundren City has under contract, are an order specifically formed to generate revenue for the Temple of Helm and therefore unlikely to actually have Paladins in their ranks, I'm betting it is the whole of the temple.
                Presea De'Ombre - Fist of the Broken
                Darcy Lothara - Lost Soul
                Miyu Suhayl - Defender of Beauty
                Bryna Ulric - Dark Priestess
                Merry Swiftblade - Swashbuckling Tailor

Comment

"I'm a rogue."
                  "I'm a ranger paladin"
                  I couldn't agree more! The sentence that makes me cringe more than anything。。。

“Greetings, I'm X and I'm a Ranger! You look like an 'Eldritch Knight' if I'm not mistaken?"

When someone says "Cleric of Lathander etc" then thats all good. Clerics are commonplace, and its a descriptor that everyone should know. I would have thought a lot of rangers would probably refer to themselves as a woodsman/hunter/tracker/daisy picker?

Anyways, when this happens I usually just act in character i.e. "WTF is a paladin?! I'm an Elf from Evermeet and we don't have pallys there (except in 3e i guess)"
                  UTC+8
                  Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                  Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Arsur'velahr is the espruar word for paladin. In various areas of Faerun, paladin is used as a title for holy knights. Some simply call them knights, chevaliers, etc. Rangers, if I am not mistaken, are known by the title 'ranger' - just like druids are known as 'druids'. Everything else has tons of applicable terms and descriptions for various orders. Rogue, for example, is a catch all word for thieves, scoundrels, wastrels, vagabonds, spies, and cutpurses.
                    Active
                    Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
                    Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Three brothers join the local church of Helm, they all submit themselves to training with sword, shield, arms and armour, they dedicate themselves to studying the scriptures and they all pray at the allotted times with equal conviction and dedication to the temple and Helm himself. All are granted a vision from helm and are inducted by the temple into the honorable ranks of the Everwatch Knights.

The eldest has always been the leader and had the charm and grace to see them through the various scrapes that youth has brought their way. In the church he blossoms into a fine leader who inspires his men with his integrity, skill at arms and faith. His faith is such that he can see into the hearts of the men he leads and see any stains upon them or call upon his conviction to restore the flagging stamina of those he leads.

As a second son the brother of middle years has always found himself as the advisor to his elder brothers leader. Able to offer advice and alternatives or to stand proud alongside his brothers. He becomes known as a man who's word can be trusted and whose wise advice on matters of body and soul should be listened to. Although he prays as no harder and no more fervently than his his brothers he has found an internal fire and can channel his faith into minor miracles and acts to bolster those who serve Helm, or hamper those who are Helms enemies.

The youngest brother has always fought hard to be seen as an equal to his older siblings, under the watchful eye of helm he has learned to channel his faith into acts of martial prowess that far outstrip the abilities of his his brothers and most others. He sees his connection to the sword of helm as much of a divine thing as any act that his brothers may be able to summon.

Each of the brothers serves the church faithfully, preaches its word, takes opportunities to talk to potential converts and speak proudly of their role as Knights of Helm and the Everwatch.

The fact that mechanically one is a paladin, one a cleric and one a fighter and hopeful weapon master is utterly irrelevant.

Same goes for a lot of other classes, a ranger might be a woodsman, a survivalist, a tracker, a lords stable master, an estates groundskeeper, a scout, a skirmisher, a mercinary or Scary Dave; that guy who lives in the burnt out house down on Chandler Street with that mean looking dog-on-a-string you'd swear was half wolf. But you've heard it said no-on knows the city like Scary Dave, he can find anyone or anything. So long as you can pay.

Classes are pretty irrelevent, it's all about the character and their role. Unless you're sworn into an order of people that Call themselves Paladins / Rangers it seems pretty damn daft to go around shouting out what classes you've OOCly built your character around.
                      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                      Sydney Smith.

Comment

The class names are labelled such because in the realms of the fantasy setting, such names are often used to identify those 'particular types'. Sure, anyone can call you anything - but most folk who see that 1st level (or more) adventurer in action and knows half a lick about adventure tales is going to rattle off a well known name for what your doing. There's only a few class names that would be awkward to label oneself as, in my opinion.
                        Active

Retired/Dead

Comment

8/10 times it's lazy or unimaginative shorthand for tired cliches or frustrating metagaming.

But that's what D&D is built on, so I guess it all fits.
                          Sydney Smith.

Comment

8/10 times it's lazy or unimaginative shorthand for tired cliches or frustrating metagaming.

But that's what D&D is built on, so I guess it all fits.
                            Exactly. As John kimble says 'STOP WHINING!'

*edit* I love you doubtful <3
                            Originally posted by roguethree
                            If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                            X