Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perma-death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as long as the point is to have a good story and not get rid of some level 20's I would be up for it. My main character Chime is silly, simpering and fun to play. I have invested time into her but part of the fun of playing is loosing sometimes. I honestly could care less about items, (unless it is a custom dress for Chime). That stuff is nice but I don't play for the stuff. I play for the story and sometimes the best parts are the endings. I am in.
    GMT -9

Comment

Originally posted by sonuvalich View Post
      Gandelf Stormpigeon, sun elf master of the arcane!
      You would not be the worst of your kind Sundren has known.

Not that I'm pointing fingers at specific mages that label themselves by color, or elves that title themselves with the frequency of weather. Certainly not in reference to anyone past or present making reference to something else.

I wouldn't do that.

(May the hells swallow you, ******** *** ****)
      "Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction."

Comment

I am still voting yes. Yes to my character dying if she does something stupid. And definitely yes to someone else dying a gruesome horrible death because River looks at the possibility of noble self sacrifice and says "....Nope".
        River Swift

"Timing is the main difference between being a hero, and being an asshole" -River

"Nothing says "I matter" quite like having a price on your head" -Sandro

Comment

I like the idea - but basically if permadeath is on the line, everyone will bring their pimped uber builds. And if a player bring a weaker character build (who might be strong on RP), they are going to get permed simply because of the CR of monsters that the DM has to create to challenge the tougher builds. (This happened to Maneae and Minael over and over again - thank god they weren't perma-death events!). I guess what I am saying is I'd like permadeath not to happen from the standard NWN2 combat, but from some other mechanic that can be applied to all PCs a bit more fairly.

Since GD will disclose the perma-death events, everyone can choose for themselves whether they want to participate or not. But for me, my real RP characters won't be participating unless for some reason I want them permed (because I don't see any way that they would be able to avoid it).

*edit*

I just noted that GD said large vitality drop and not permadeath per se. That's not really permadeath at all - but it could make you unwilling to play a character for a long time. Sort of like having a PC in the hospital for a few months. So I guess that's cool.
          Account Name: LuvHandles
          Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
          Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
          Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
          Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
          Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
          Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

Sigh, can we please not let this devolve into a debate on powerbuilds and the like? Just because people optimize their builds doesn't make it mean it's not intended with rp.

But anyways, permadeath events are fine with me. Would be sad to lose a character, but I could make another I'd love just as well.
            Olivia Kimaris - Paladin of Lathander and Knight of the Northern Watch
            Diary of Olivia

Originally posted by Cornuto
            Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Not sure how powerbuilds can save you from killing yourself in a role played scenario. I've given harsh results to powerbuilds with no diplomacy, for example. Or maybe you decide to go tracking without a tracker but you are OP? You might find yourself lost in the woods. At least you are a functional grinder. *evil grin*
              "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Comment

So, to summarize:

- GD is collecting feedback about increasing the frequency of high risk / high reward scenarios. That won't change the fact that, however seldomly-possible, Sundren IS a perma-death server. We're not voting about that, or your participation in it

- Trust in your DMs to make proper judgement regarding power builds, level discrepency, etc. They take all this stuff into consideration, and they send out plenty of ample warning regarding the risk involved in something. They won't hit you out of the blue without warning and base a perma on a single failed die roll.

- Remember the flip side. GD is proposing this so that he can also propose some bang-up, holy-shit rewards!
                "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
                  So, to summarize:

- GD is collecting feedback about increasing the frequency of high risk / high reward scenarios. That won't change the fact that, however seldomly-possible, Sundren IS a perma-death server. We're not voting about that, or your participation in it

- Trust in your DMs to make proper judgement regarding power builds, level discrepency, etc. They take all this stuff into consideration, and they send out plenty of ample warning regarding the risk involved in something. They won't hit you out of the blue without warning and base a perma on a single failed die roll.

- Remember the flip side. GD is proposing this so that he can also propose some bang-up, holy-shit rewards!
                  Yeah, I'd like to think we give plenty of warning in character first then out of before dropping an axe. The only times it seems to creep up and surprise people is when they cross their faction, god, or something to that nature. I think we have something in the wiki about that, no?

Its easy enough to avoid perma death here, though.
                  "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Comment

As Long as the people in the event, and the people running the event are open "this can go down many many ways" then i generally do not have a issue with failed actions or bad choices leading to a dark path, that leads to any number of foul things happening to said charter even if it's death. Though some things are more fun to do and make people rp them out then a "perm".

I say that mostly because I'm ok with perma death stuff. I've only been apart of it twice on sundren. Once was a "wow lame staff is lame" moment when an event didn't happen they way a dm wanted and instead of going with the flow got but hurt and killed the pc's then stated them permed. which was a black spot on sundren and drove people away.

The other was during the second sundering when a character acted as they would and stayed true to themselves, and there actions got them smote from the heavens and permed. Now i though that is instance was ok myself do to what they interfered with. Still it drove people away.
                    Bram Drismon: Sundrens Centurio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2GVlQkn4Q
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpryp2OlUQ
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QUZzeZoPQ

Comment

Originally posted by Talleyman99 View Post

I say that mostly because I'm ok with perma death stuff. I've only been apart of it twice on sundren. Once was a "wow lame staff is lame" moment when an event didn't happen they way a dm wanted and instead of going with the flow got but hurt and killed the pc's then stated them permed. which was a black spot on sundren and drove people away.
                      That sounds like lame sauce. But it would be a mistake to define one DM's action as those of the entire staff. Any experienced DM at any server will admit to making a mistake from time to time. And an action like that was probably, or hopefully, discussed behind the scenes afterwords.

Comment

I believe Talleyman was using the example from back during the "Baragorn the paladin falls" quest line where we all got together to take out the super lich. Only 3 people originally made it out alive when the crap hit the fan on that, and it was 3 dwarves, with my dwarf Torgar being one of them. There was a lot of arguing and anger by the primary DM running it because many of the players chose to do things one way and not the way he wanted, and so he felt they should have no chance of winning and be permed for defying him, and Atmosphere is absoultely correct that one DM does not reflect the rest of the staff.

On the OP's question on perma-death in events, oh god's yes. Yes and more yes. I don't say this because I have several characters so losing a couple doesn't really hurt me, because I love all the characters I make in one way or another and losing them would still make me sad. I say "Yes" because I am really tired about how not scary every event and pvp feels on the server. There is literally zero risk in any choice anyone makes, because there never seems to be any kind of permenent consequences for our actions. I'm all for enhanced vitality loss during events, and for just flat out "You died, there is no way you got out of this, sorry for all the incredibly stupid choices YOU made to get here" when called for.
                        Tigen Amastacia: Died in events so you didn't have to.

Quintin Ulsteris: Nice-guy Legion engineer, deceased son of House Ulsteris.

Clandriel Cain: AKA "Fire-eyes" AKA "Demon hunter" AKA "OH MY GOD, WHY IS HE STILL STABBING ME!!??"

Comment

Working...
                        X