Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Achieve Epic Levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Achieve Epic Levels?

What is the formula for success to get a 20th level character to Epic levels? I have three, almost five characters at 20th level, which got me thinking… what does a person do that allows them to get to 21st, etc levels?

Since any experience gained after 20th level must come from a DM… I tried to put experience into context. I began playing on Sundren in April 2009 from Central Europe. Since that time I have been in approximately nine DM events. Though I have been in game at least 25 times when a DM has came on and shouted … “anybody want anything let me know.”

I rarely if ever ask for anything because I asked for an event once and ended up being a little too specific. I know DM events are the key to success… and I know our DM staff is very accommodating with events. So, what is the formula for achieving Epic levels?

Play only one character?

Schedule DM events?

Please… I really would like to know because I looked up how much experience a character needs to make 23rd level: 253,000 points. That is 63,000 experience points that can only be secured from DM events.

In my limited experience the most experience I secured in a DM event was 1,500 points. My low is about 500 experience points. That translates to between 42 and 163 DM events to get 63,000 points. How is this possible?

Cheers!
    Cheers!

You could just ask a DM to put you to 21. That works sometimes.
    Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
    "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gamling View Post
      You could just ask a DM to put you to 21. That works sometimes.
      Surely you jest? ((or are you?))
      Cheers!

Comment

I think Epics levels should be this rare, honestly. That being said, too few DM events in general seems to be the root of your complaint, and more DM events would be nice to have!

Not
        to put any more pressure on our current DMs (who do a great job for what is essentially an often-thankless volunteer position), but maybe staff can look at recruiting a couple more to take on some minor events and quests?
        Player of:
        Nadya Frost -
        Witchy Woman (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17774)
        Abigail Fryre - Short-Tempered (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16616)

Comment

Epic levels really aren't that impressive currently. If you are a caster, there is 0 epic spell feats accessible, they have all been removed. Most of the other epic feats that are powerful that are still available require you to be one of the locked races, and to have min/maxed your stats specifically just to take one of those feats. I really don't believe that allowing more people to hit level 21 would really break anything.

Comment

He aint kidding ManUtd..

Sometimes you just need to ask a friendly DM. Ok so maybe it isnt that easy..

You need to make a big impression, dont be looking to get in on events so much as contacting dm's to help engineer events, I remember Lauan Tissle actively working to help set up events for OTHER players, offering suggestions and plots for DM's.

That is the sort of stuff that gets you recognition, take up the initative.

It's really upto you, but the mindset that I personally run with is this -

My main chr is Ignus, he got to level 20 a loong ass time ago. Now my job in the game is to help enhance other peoples experiences, i'm like a player controlled npc essentially. No doubt some big plot might occur that grabs my interest and i'll try to get myself in on the action, but mainly it's all about 'community service'. Keep turning up, make an impression on the player community and hopefully that will be noticed by the dm's.

Incidentally, to the rest of the community.. dont forget to show your support of those player characters that help make your time on the server more enjoyable.. Especially if they are level 20... and their heads are on fire.. sing their praises loudly so the Dm's give me.. erm I mean 'them' level 21....

~This announcement is sponsored by the fire awareness council for the promotion of Fire Genasi lifestyles.~
            Until I can somehow magically discover, hitherto unknown, skills to make a nice looking sig pic to represent my main chrs -

I primarily play Ignus Pyre and Smithy

Comment

Lobby hard for RPoTM and then for Runner up? That's 10k potential exp for a level 20 character. But my highest characters are level 15, so what do I know?
              Account Name: LuvHandles
              Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
              Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
              Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
              Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
              Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
              Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

I haven't been able to divulge a formula. I play Dain pretty well exclusively, and I've put a lot of time into him, and sort-of consequently he's epic. However, there are PCs who have less than half the time existed and less than half the time played who are similar in level. I've seen PCs be granted epic levels or extra epic feats because they asked for them. I've seen DMs say, "Wow. That guy's been around forever, and he's not epic level yet? Fixing this."

I've seen PCs be granted epic levels because the DM wanted them to be more powerful for whatever purpose. I've seen PCs be granted epic levels because they made a pact with some demonic entity.

It's all over the place, man. My best, unquantifiable advice to you is stick to one PC who can affect PCs from all walks of life.
                Originally posted by Cornuto
                Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Epic characters generally do have a formula that they follow;

-They get involved, sometimes in very obnoxious ways.
                  -They make event requests for things that are interesting and flexible for DM's to run.
                  -They PvP the entire second wind as a rat.
                  -They stick to a single character, a single side, or a single faction and promote that character and faction.

None of this is a guaranteed to get you epics, but they're the general rules that the players follow that get them attention.
                  Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
                  Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
                  Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
                  Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
                  Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
                  Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

Yup, I'd have to say that being involved with your faction and promoting your character through his/her actions is the best way to get epic levels.
                    Characters:
                    Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                    Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Peridan View Post
                      Yup, I'd have to say that being involved with your faction and promoting your character through his/her actions is the best way to get epic levels.
                      Clive.

That is all.
                      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kasso View Post
                        -They stick to a single character, a single side, or a single faction and promote that character and faction.
                        This is a dangerous statement I think. The team has always strived to embrace many different play types. While I agree a single character gets more time in one dude as a lump sum, I don't feel they should be given any extra attention as a player compared to someone who floats around on multiples. The DM vision should match the server vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiangtao View Post
                          This is a dangerous statement I think. The team has always strived to embrace many different play types. While I agree a single character gets more time in one dude as a lump sum, I don't feel they should be given any extra attention as a player compared to someone who floats around on multiples. The DM vision should match the server vision.
                          You're not a DM having to keep up with every new randomplayer character, (more like every new blurry character, amirite?) which consequently involves keeping up with every character's ambition and storyline. If you split your time between four characters and of them you feel your character nr 3. should have epic levels, just picture the guy who's playing nr 3's faction exclusively. He's easy to keep up with, he doesn't drop to the opposing side when you're preparing events and subsequently he's more enjoyable to have around.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having multiple characters, I have a few myself. But I don't ask for or expect epic levels on any of mine, because I know there are players in each of my factions that have done more and put significantly more time in than my meager contribution. (Because I'm busy playing the opposing side for lols.)

I'm not saying don't ever expect a boost to 21, but don't go looking for it unless you devote solid time towards exalting both your character's goals and faction. Or in the case of some characters on this server.. Just share troll tells with DMs. That apparently works on occasion, too.
                          "Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction."

Comment

Originally posted by Chiangtao View Post
                            Player's who make requests and promote server lore and storytelling get my priority attention, that's just how it is. Requests that consist of "I'm bored, run me something." get about as much work on my end, as they were willing to put into said request.

Otherwise Vaelik has it bang on.

Player's making requests from different faction characters are working against their fellow players, the DM's, and themselves. There are no winners when it's drawn down to the wire because in the case of someone who mains both a black hand character and a triad player, when they're inevitably called upon, others lose no matter who they choose.

Pick Triad character, Black hand is at a disadvantage it shouldn't have to deal with.
                            Pick Black hand character, Triad is at a disadvantage it shouldn't have to deal with.
                            DM excludes the altoholic; unfair to that player, shouldn't have to deal with it.

No matter what, somebody is losing for OOC reasons. This isn't the sort of DMing I promote.
                            Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
                            Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
                            Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
                            Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
                            Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
                            Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

What about if you dont have a faction? I'm just curious.. because a whole lot of talk here seems to be all about pushing faction development..

Just as an example i'll use good old Iggy again, however the point would stand with any character that is without faction.

Ignus isnt in a faction, He is neutral evil and by and large no faction really holds interest for him simply because by allying himself to a faction he is potentially binding himself to a group of people which may become messy when his own ideals and plots inevitably run opposite to said-faction..

I am assuming this doesn't bar him from being able to aquire the needed kudos points to hit level 21?
                              Until I can somehow magically discover, hitherto unknown, skills to make a nice looking sig pic to represent my main chrs -

I primarily play Ignus Pyre and Smithy

Comment

Working...
                              X