Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PrC Review AT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PrC Review AT

NWN & FRwiki Definition: "Arcane tricksters combine their knowledge of spells with a taste for intrigue, larceny, or just plain mischief. They are among the most adaptable of adventurers. Arcane spellcasting and the sneak attack ability are needed to qualify for this class, making it a natural choice for multiclass wizard/rogues or sorcerer/rogues. Assassins occasionally opt for this class, but usually only if they already have wizard or sorcerer levels."

MY VIEW

This class has a lot of RP juice to it. Combining spells and intrigue as the definition put it. You can really see this as the "meddlesome mage" pretty easily.

Considering how easy it is to become an EK with only one (or zero) non-caster class level(s), this class is very mechanically underwhelming to me. Although I think it has so much more RP potential than and EK.
    "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
    Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

If the class could be recoded to allow assassin sneak attacks to count as meeting the pre-reqs it would be a phenomenal class. As it is, it'll just have to settle for being pretty awesome.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
      If the class could be recoded to allow assassin sneak attacks to count as meeting the pre-reqs it would be a phenomenal class. As it is, it'll just have to settle for being pretty awesome.
      Doesn't it already do this?
      Originally posted by Saulus
      Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Nope.. assassin sneak attack should count, but doesn't.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Because it's a DEATH attack, not sneak! Unfortunately it doesn't qualify as a sneak, but supplements the sneak damage if you have it. Not a substitution for meeting prereqs as-is though, D.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
            Nope.. assassin sneak attack should count, but doesn't.
            We can fix this!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornuto View Post
              We can fix this!
              Oooh, that would fill me with joy..
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragor
                Although I think it has so much more RP potential than and EK.
                Must . . . not . . . derail . . . thread . . .

Let's just say I disagree and leave it at that.

As for the Arcane Trickster, I've never played one so I don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge about them.
                Account Name: LuvHandles
                Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
                Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
                Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
                Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
                Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
                Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

My gnome is an Arcane Trickster. As long as he doesn't have to fight, it's a pretty good class :P. At level 18 or so, he has plenty of spells, good lock picking/trap removal skills, and a decent stealth (not great as he was built as a tinker gnome, not a sneaker). There are some specialty gear items for ATs such as the armor (padded, I think...but may be leather) with no spell failure available on the server. But if you plan to make one and have it survive, better find some buddies to run with. This is in no way, shape, nor form a solo build. It is, however, great fun and very rewarding from the RP standpoint.

But I will always disagree with any class having more RP potential than any other. To me, RP potential is there regardless. It's just how you work it. My EK is just as fun to RP as my AT or my Thayan Knight. Imagination and creativity trumps class or build for RP potential in my mind
                  Ursus Ahrahl: Vengeful Desert Warrior (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ursus_Ahrahl)
                  Zaphram Babblerocks: Silly Gnome Tinkerer
                  Ronon Darkholme: Eye and ear of the Night Watch of Kelemvor's Eternal Order (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...onon_Darkholme)
                  Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
                  Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
                  Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
                  "Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Comment

The boost iin skill points and the general flavour of the RP are what is enticing. The fact that you can add sneak attack to your ray attacks is icing (And for only a second level spell).
                    Originally posted by roguethree
                    If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

My AT is my favourite character I've ever played. No, he's not a soloer by any stretch, but meh. I was never keen on soloing anyway. LOVE this class.
                      Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

Originally posted by Cornuto View Post
                        We can fix this!
                        You are aware that fixing this will allow people to do this ... 1 Rogue 4 Wizard 1 Assassin 10 AT and back to 4 Wizard. Not that that can't do that if they are part of the Eboncoin and go for SToA. Where as they practically really really suck until HIGH level fixing them up with Death Attack will be IMO a little much. Even if the DA DC kinda sucks because of low class level you can still get it to 20 or so.
                        "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Originally posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
                          The boost iin skill points and the general flavour of the RP are what is enticing. The fact that you can add sneak attack to your ray attacks is icing (And for only a second level spell).
                          I am unsure if that actually works, none of my rays EVER got sneak attack off. I would cast them over and over and over just to try to get it.
                          "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Originally posted by Mournas View Post
                            You are aware that fixing this will allow people to do this ... 1 Rogue 4 Wizard 1 Assassin 10 AT and back to 4 Wizard. Not that that can't do that if they are part of the Eboncoin and go for SToA. Where as they practically really really suck until HIGH level fixing them up with Death Attack will be IMO a little much. Even if the DA DC kinda sucks because of low class level you can still get it to 20 or so.
                            *Gasp!*

Comment

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Mournas
                              *Gasp!*
                              "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Working...
                              X