Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class Review: Cleric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Review: Cleric

Class Review: Cleric

NWN Definition: "Clerics are masters of divine magic, which is especially good at healing. Even an inexperienced Cleric can bring people back from the brink of death, and an experienced Cleric can bring back people who have crossed over that brink. As channelers of divine energy, clerics can affect undead creatures. A Cleric can turn away or even destroy undead. Clerics have some combat training. They can use simple weapons, and they are trained in the use of armor, since armor does not interfere with divine spells the way it does with arcane spells."

FRwiki Definition: "A cleric is a divine servant of one or more gods, serving them through combat prowess and divine spells, investing their allies with divine power. They are divine leaders who inspire through their own strength of faith. Clerics gain their powers through training and activate them through prayers and rites in the name of their divine patron."

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Cleric
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cleric

IN MY VIEW

Clerics are the most fun class for me to play on a PW. I greatly enjoy the situations the clerics faith puts them in. Playing a cleric is both limited and enriched by that clerics religion as most of the faiths in FR are well defined.

To really play a cleric well you have to put in the time to research the faith that cleric will be following.

*cringes*

What I don't like to see is players constantly keeping the long term buffs that do not have visual effects up, for no other reason than it might give them an edge in PvP that may or may not happen. Divine spells come from the gods and I do not feel they should be used frivolously.

I’ve decided to risk creating a firestorm by doing a short review like this on all the base and PrC classes available on Sundren and ask for the communities input on anything related to that class such as RP tactics, personal views, lore tidbits, and character build strategies.
    Keep it clean, thanks.
    "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
    Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I'm not going to comment about anything mechanically about the class, just that if someone is playing a cleric I hope they consider the dogma of their God. And if they don't choose to follow it, don't complain about the possible consequences that may come of it. Like DM smites in the way of losing your God's favor.
    Originally posted by Satoshi
    Boobs > You. Cornuto: 0 Cat: 1
    Originally posted by Cornuto
    Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Originally posted by Catastrophe View Post
      I'm not going to comment about anything mechanically about the class, just that if someone is playing a cleric I hope they consider the dogma of their God.
      This a thousand times...

Every God has huge potential for RP, and their Clerics should be up to their necks in devotion to said deity. They get the power to bring the dead back to life for their sheer devotion, that dosen't come around through keeping a holy symbol in your pocket when you remember.

Side note, I do love it when non-Clerics are religious. Considering the Gods are a proven, tangible presence, and failure to believe in them results in your soul ending up in an excrutiatingly slow ethereal mincer, nobody really has an excuse for atheism, other than perhaps a refusal to give into threats.
      Running across the mountains, attacking with an oversized scalpel, cometh Helga Great-Wyrm! And she gives a mighty bellow:
      "Brace yourself, oh human speck of dust! You are made of meat and I am very hungry!"

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
        This a thousand times...

Every God has huge potential for RP, and their Clerics should be up to their necks in devotion to said deity. They get the power to bring the dead back to life for their sheer devotion, that dosen't come around through keeping a holy symbol in your pocket when you remember.

Side note, I do love it when non-Clerics are religious. Considering the Gods are a proven, tangible presence, and failure to believe in them results in your soul ending up in an excrutiatingly slow ethereal mincer, nobody really has an excuse for atheism, other than perhaps a refusal to give into threats.
        Usually the atheist's are striving for divinity themselves. Cyric springs to mind.

I prefer playing characters with faith rather than a character who abuses said faith to go smiting people. I dislike the majority of divine characters bar druids.. just a personal thing though. I can see how they are appealing!
        Originally posted by roguethree
        If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
          Usually the atheist's are striving for divinity themselves. Cyric springs to mind.
          Technically he's not really an atheist if he's seeking godhood though, is he? I mean he's acknowledging gods exist, in fact he's acknowledging them so hard he was looking to usurp power and become one himself. It's less "Pfft, there is no logical basis for belief in gods" atheism and more "I will kill anyone and anything that gets in my way on my rightful path to godhood, for this is where I belong" egocentric madness, which is further reflected in his actions even as a god. His actions strike me as one drunk with power, like a child who's discovered a magnifying glass and an ant nest.

Edit to Add: I'll add that in the online environment at least, most clerics strike me like that too. It's too easily forgotten by people, I think, that the powers at their disposal ARE NOT THEIR OWN. They're granted by the gods in answer to devotion, and can be stripped just as easily as disappointing their god. Hell in some god's case for little or no reason at all other than to watch the priest die for his convictions - sometimes reminding the world that even the devout are ultimately meaningless pawns just like everyone else serves the god's particular interests as much as living champions, Cyrric, Bane, and Talos strike me as the types for this. What better way to inspire fear in your followers than to show how fickle you really are sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted-Indoctrine View Post
            What better way to inspire fear in your followers than to show how fickle you really are sometimes.

Women mastered this stratergy ages ago, can't see why a god wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Shedboy View Post
              Women mastered this stratergy ages ago, can't see why a god wouldn't.
              Knew it was coming the second I posted it... Hell I even thought of making the jive at that one myself, heh.

Comment

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Because sexism is funny.
                Originally posted by Cornuto
                Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted-Indoctrine View Post
                  Edit to Add: I'll add that in the online environment at least, most clerics strike me like that too. It's too easily forgotten by people, I think, that the powers at their disposal ARE NOT THEIR OWN. They're granted by the gods in answer to devotion, and can be stripped just as easily as disappointing their god. Hell in some god's case for little or no reason at all other than to watch the priest die for his convictions - sometimes reminding the world that even the devout are ultimately meaningless pawns just like everyone else serves the god's particular interests as much as living champions, Cyrric, Bane, and Talos strike me as the types for this. What better way to inspire fear in your followers than to show how fickle you really are sometimes.
                  This is why I really enjoyed the story Xalbrus and I did for our Aurilites the other night. Fen's a Spirit Shaman, not a Cleric, but she acts as a priestess just the same. So when she realized that her (twisted) love for her twin brother was holding her back from being a true Aurilite, she took him to the mountaintop and froze him to death.
                  Presea De'Ombre - Fist of the Broken
                  Darcy Lothara - Lost Soul
                  Miyu Suhayl - Defender of Beauty
                  Bryna Ulric - Dark Priestess
                  Merry Swiftblade - Swashbuckling Tailor

Comment

Working...
                  X