Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undetectable Alignment--does it exist here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point is that its sometimes unnecessary for a paladin to wave his arrmageddon stick around and smite people at will. Instead of grinding Timmy into paste and terrifying the townsfolk he could, with some common sense thinking, arrest him and give him to the town guard. Lawfull good doesn't mean lawfull stupid.
    Choose your destiny,test your might,be a dwarf.

Chuck Norris can believe its not butter.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by nezzerscape View Post
      This simplifies to:
      lawful = (obeying the law)
      Not really. Lawful means that someone adheres closely to a particular code. Whether or not that coincides with the law of the land is another matter. If Sundren's law stated that followers of Torm must stab any red headed child they meet on tuesday, do you think paladins would follow it?
      I got one leg missin'
      How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
      Meet the Feebles

Comment

Originally posted by Machiavelli View Post
        Not really. Lawful means that someone adheres closely to a particular code. Whether or not that coincides with the law of the land is another matter. If Sundren's law stated that followers of Torm must stab any red headed child they meet on tuesday, do you think paladins would follow it?
        Hmmm I thought my math was simple enought to follow *thinks for a moment*

PS and you both you and Doubtful are correct, but don't tell any one I said that.
        Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
        Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
        Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
        Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

"This spell, does, in fact, detect non-supernatural evil people, as outlined by the first entry on the graph discussing "Evil Creatures," it is only the power of their aura that is under question."

I realized this was in the text. I wish I could find the reference to it, but WoTC clarified some points regarding the ability in a Q&A section, probably in Dragon Mag a while back since some players felt it was a little unclear. Specifically, this is in regards to two points on that entry:
          1) As Philosopher pointed out, the entry lists "Evil Creatures" The question was raised if this eliminates "normal" races and what constitutes "Creatures" This thought gained some support due to the second part;
          2) The subscript #2, noted on the Detecting evil cleric entry states something to the effect of, "Some characters may have an equivalent aura, which would be specifically mentioned in their character descriptions." This was taken to imply that other "characters" did not in fact, radiate any sort of aura unless specifically stated so in their description, which usually had something to due with a connection to evil powers (clerics) or other infernal sources. (Warlocks maybe?)

The final "interpretation" was that characters, in general, do not have any sort of aura regardless of their alignment. The "Evil Creatures" entry, was meant to account for the "other" supernatural creatures of evil that did not fall into the outsider or undead category, where most of them reside. This would be something like evil fey and the like.

I absolutely agree with Machiavelli as well. Lawful Good merely means the character must adhere to a code, not always coinciding with the local laws. That being said, they are still champions of good and justice and would likely attempt to adhere to local laws before breaking them outright.

Comment

Last time I played a Paladin, some clearly suicidal Myrkulite decided to party with me. There was no Detect Evil on this server, so the only time I found this was when I demanded to know who he got his spells from.

He told me Myrkul (you know, the Evil God of Death, decay, and such).

Being Lawful Good, I told him that on my honour as a Paladin, I would strike him down, and to defend himself (suprise tactics are a breach of Paladin code and dishonourable, hence Chaotic).

'Ah, but it's not against the law to follow Myrkul, so you'd be murdering me. That's against the law.'

'My laws come from a far higher authority. Defend yourself!'

*smite smite smite*

They're not Lawful Stupid, they're not Lawful Nice. They're honourable, dedicated, 100% honest, and stand firmly by a solid moral code. They protect the local law where it is fair and just, but the laws of their God are held above it. This makes them Lawful.

As for the evil, it detects evil, regardless of race. If you're going to say it should only work on 'creatures', then shouldn't Hold Monster only work on Monsters, not, say, elves?

Evil is Evil. Paladins generally are visibly Paladins from a mile off. If you're evil, hide from them or try to kill them or cast Prot from Good on yourself.
            Running across the mountains, attacking with an oversized scalpel, cometh Helga Great-Wyrm! And she gives a mighty bellow:
            "Brace yourself, oh human speck of dust! You are made of meat and I am very hungry!"

Comment

I'm merely discussing the limits of the ability, with some insight provided by the developers of said ability. You obviously have you own strong opinions on the matter. I agree though, Paladins should not be played as lawful stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonBelow View Post
                I'm merely discussing the limits of the ability, with some insight provided by the developers of said ability. You obviously have you own strong opinions on the matter. I agree though, Paladins should not be played as lawful stupid.
                I have strong opinions on everything. :P

Paladins I'm rather opinionated on because the last server I played one on, I constantly got OOC grief for things like 'Smiting a Myrkulite who had a skeleton warrior summoned' and constantly getting people say I should be Fallen'd for killing people without irrefutable mechanical proof they were evil.
                Running across the mountains, attacking with an oversized scalpel, cometh Helga Great-Wyrm! And she gives a mighty bellow:
                "Brace yourself, oh human speck of dust! You are made of meat and I am very hungry!"

Comment

Detect evil works on PCs. If the wiki is ambiguous, I apologise for that. Prot from good means that paladins won't know the difference between an evil PC and a good one, so it is your evil friend!

Nuff said.
                  I got one leg missin'
                  How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                  Meet the Feebles

Comment

This is easily solved by carrying around a large sheet of lead! All my evil characters did it! Paladins attempt to detect evil, immediatly bust it out and place it infront of your character for all intensive purposes that should nullify their detect evil via rp. If you truely wish for your alignment to remain undetected!

Or you could just wait till a lower level paladin detects evil on you then is stunned and overwhelmed by your "awesome evil aura." then jump em and steal their lunch money
                    Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

Surely a Paladin who attempts to detect evil with no reason other than the fact that its on his hotbar is evil through and through? Condemning someone because you like seeing the worst in people must be putting yourself on the books for a negative karma score. (Like the cop who pulls you over for no reason at all ~ good thing he didnt check the boot eh?)

Sounds more like the actions of a Gray guard or a Avenging Executioner or something like that.. I dunno; these goody goodies eh?
                      Originally posted by roguethree
                      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X