Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM Discussion Results - Captured PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, that's a good point! If someone has met the 'requirements' of permadeath (which should be suitably rare [perhaps not as rare as it is now, but still rare]), and DMs are going to be involved anyway (to say whether it's feasible or not), they could always run an interesting and involved quest to bring them back. It's not exactly PnP based, but hey.

There are always concessions and creative liberties in these things.

Comment

Meh, you know my stance. I've said it in many posts before. I'm anti-textbook, pro-novel. Well... for the most part.

Personally, I think True Rez was thought up by a group of 400-pound PnP nerds sitting around a table wearing plastic viking hats during the early days of D&D. Their characters all died, and rather than risk invoking a level of frustration that would have made all of their twinkie-clogged hearts just stop beating, they said "Hey, what if we made up a spell that could save em." After passing a ham through his left ventricle and finally catching his breath, the DM looked to them and said "What did you have in mind?"

Story elements with foundations like this you rarely see in novels (or the well-written ones anyway) for good reason (not counting Elminster, who we all know was a highlander). They pretty much tend to kill all sense of drama, consequence, creative storytelling, and all the things novel readers enjoy.

However, it must be noted that this is simply the opinion of one man; a man who's point is not necessarily more valid than anyone else's, despite how much he likes to think so at times. Honestly, the only thing in this I am STRONGLY opposed to is perma'd pcs being able to be brought back. Kenembi, Baragorn, Nocte... I say keep em all dead. Bringing em back now would just cheapen the characters.

P.S. Just so everyone knows, I do NOT lump all pnp players into a category fitting the scenario described above lol. And yes, I am aware that pnp DID help bring us some of the good Forgotten Realms novels. But, in my defense, it also is responsible for bringing us some of the bad ones as well as bad ideas :P so, lets just call this one a wash and I will continue to uphold our 'treaty' of me not making fun of pnp players in general.
      Last edited by Silas North; 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM.
      sigpic
      Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

True Res and Drizzt.

If I could send firebombs with my mind...
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Yeah.. they are not ALL winners.

Which, is a shame since Salvatore has remakable talent.

He's dead, he's not, he's dead, he's not, he was healed?... Wait slow down! At least with Elminster, there was an excuse.
          sigpic
          Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

You're both 400 pound nerds...
            "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
            -Bill Maher

Comment

Then that makes you the guy passing an entire ham through his left ventricle?

Comment

That's not a ham, that's my penis. And that ventricle is your mom.

:O
                "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                -Bill Maher

Comment

Wow...harsh PL very harsh!
                  Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

Working...
                  X