Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Not So Bad Influence (Elvish Lessons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenny sat in her spot at the gazeebo, her new doll propped up, made to look as if she were reading the book as well. Caelryth was tossing a small ball up into the air and catching it. He had to train himself to stop whistling while Jenny read.

The young girl sighed a bit and looked up from her book. Caelryth caught the ball and looked over to her.

"Something on your mind, Que'alla?"

"Well... kind of. Mister Caelryth, what does malicious mean?"

"Malicious? It means bad natured, a danger to society? Why did somebody call you that?"

"No....somebody called you that..."

The elf laughed. "Is that right?"

"Yes... I saw another elf, with one eye, in the Triumvirate talking to somebody. I was going to try and talk to him in elven but I heard him saying that you were probably malicious and shouldn't be trusted."

Caelryth shook his head and laughed again. "Well, Que'alla, there a long story behind that and don't worry too much about what you hear about me, you know me well enough, right?"

The little girl nodded and smiled.

"Sometimes, people have to do a great deal to be liked and trusted. Some people always seem to be trusted without question, its just the way the world works."

Caelryth stood up and moved toward the table. He sat balancing himself a bit so he can lean back.

"Take the people you stay with. People always trust them."

Jenny smiled. "Yes, the Broken Ones are always helping people."

"Well, there you go."

"Well, don't you help people?"

"All the time," the elf answers.

"Then why don't they trust you?"

Caelryth chuckled. "I'm a bit more complicated than your average priest. You should finish your studies." The elf resumed his game of catch.

"Mister Caelryth."

"Yes Que'alla."

"What does incarcerated mean?"

Caelryth slipped from his position, landing on the gazeebo floor... the ball bounced a few feet away from him and rolled into the street.
    Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
    Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
    Well, you've probably missed it
    There was never anything there
    In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Caelryth walked around the Copper Quaffs and saw Jenny waiting at their normal meeting place. Something was different this time. The look she gave him when he came down the stairs in the court yard. The elf knew that look, he knew it well. It's the look that women, be it wife, lover, mother, sister, or daughter, give a man when he has done something outside what they would consider proper.

Caleryth approached the gazeebo with caution. "Good afterno...". The elf couldn't finish his greeting when the young girl rushed to him and gave him a hard kick in the shin.

The elf grabbed his shin. "The Hells was that for!"

"I heard you were mean to Miss Yashia. She is not feeling good and you were mean to her!"

"Son of a bitch, Que'alla, that hur.." He was interupted again with another kick.

"OWW!...Will you stop! That hurts!"

"That was for saying bad words."

"Like Hells it was, you just wanted another reason to kick me."

The fiery little girl approached again. The helpless elf stuck his hands out in defense. "Alright.. alright... calm yourself."

Jenny stopped her advance and stared at Caelryth, waiting for an explanation.

"Look. I didn't say anything that wasn't true. I was just being honest. Besides they gained up on me like a pack of hens!"

"Well you deserved it! If you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all!"

The elf continued his plea. "It wasn't nice or mean, it was just a statement! She just took it the wrong way! I gave her an apple!"

"You give everybody an apple... that doesn't count."

"Alright.. alright... but you can't just go kicking people in the shin without hearing the whole story."

"I still think you deserved it!"

Caelryth sighed. Do they come out of the womb like this? No wonder human men are so aggressive...

"Que'alla... lets just move past this for now. Fair enough." He pulled an apple from his bag and offered it to his student.

"Fine. But I'm still mad you." The girl took the apple and sat down to eat it.

Caelryth nodded and sat down, placing the books in front of him. It seemed it was going to be a long day.
      Last edited by cmosier; 04-13-2009, 09:38 PM.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

"You're here to talk to me about the war aren't you? It’s on everybody’s mind it seems.”

Caelryth smiles at his young student, “Indeed I am, Que’alla. I know you can tell by the reactions of everybody around you that something is coming, and it’s going to be big.”

“You plan on fighting, don’t you?”

Caelryth nods in confirmation, “You’re right about that as well. I may not be on the best terms with the Legion, but I believe there is more at stake here than pride. I think this is the right fight.”

“Is this where you tell me everything will be okay, and you’ll be back as soon as you can?”

“No, Que’alla, I won’t insult you like that. You’ve been through enough, and you’re no stranger to loss.” Caelryth looks down at the young girl and smiles, “You’re old enough to know what this could mean. If something happens, I am sure you will take what I, and to more of an extent, my brother have taught you and do well with it.”

Jenny looks down, a bit saddened, “Please…. Please try to come back. Everybody I’ve ever gotten close to…” The girl didn’t finish the sentence, and a few audible sniffs came from under her down turned head.

Caelryth put a hand on her shoulder. “I know. Come on, let me tell you story. I can better explain my understanding of all this.”

Jenny nodded and took Caelryth’s hand as he led her to their normal meeting place in the Military Tier. “I must have been about your age,” the elf started, “and I was so pleased that my father had finally decided to include me and my brother in his arcane experiments……”

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

(OoC: Keep 'em coming, I am new to the site and love this story. Good job. be sure I'll read whatever you post.)

Comment

The orphan girl was waiting for Caelryth when he came down the steps into the court yard of the Military Tier. She was smiling ear to ear when she caught sight of her teacher. She quickly leapt to her feet, and rushed at the unsuspecting elf.

“Did you see? There was this grand parade, and people were cheering!” The young girl jumped up and gave Caelryth a hug.

Caeryth smiled and hugged her back. He took his hat off and put it on her head. “Yea, Que’alla, I saw. I happened to get a pretty good view of the whole thing.”

“They said the Thayan’s captured some important snake lady, and all of Sundren is safer thanks to them!”

“Yea, they caught a snake, alright.” Caelryth half smirked.

“What’s wrong? You don’t seem that excited.”

“It’s nothing, Que’alla.” The elf looked down a bit.

“What do you think they’re going to do with her?” The girl looked at Caelryth, waiting for an answer.

“She was turned to stone and carried away from what I could see,” the elf answered.

“Turned to stone? Why would they do that?”

“Because, Que’alla, statues can’t speak the truth. Sometimes the truth can be very damaging.” When Caelryth spoke, it was if he spoke from a distance. His eyes weren’t on his young student, but somewhere else.

“What do you mean? It looked like the snake lady was dazed. They must have beaten her up pretty bad.”

Caelryth nodded a bit. “Yea, she was out of it for awhile, but toward the end, right before she was petrified…” Caelryth didn’t finish the sentence, and continued to stare blankly into nothing.

“Mister Caelryth? Are you okay?” Jenny tapped his shoulder as she spoke.

“Hmm? Oh yes, of course. Look, Que’alla, I’m never one to speak out against a celebration. This will be no exception. Just don’t believe everything you hear about the Thayans, fair enough?” Caelryth smiled at the girl and took his hat back.

“Hey! I like that hat. It makes me feel… I don’t really know how to explain it; more confident.”

Caelryth looked down at her, “Promise me Que’alla.”

Jenny sighed. “Fine.”

“Very good.” Caelryth smiled. “Now, I believe there are a few places still having a little fun. The Legion couldn’t have run them all off. Lets go have some fun, Que’alla.”

“Really! You mean it!” She looks down at her clothes. “But this is all I have to wear.”

“Well then, we’ll get you some new clothes while we’re at it.” The elf smiled and took the girls hand. She smiled up at her teacher and the two walked deeper into the City.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

"I'll be back Que'alla, Elusa and I are just getting away from everything for awhile. We’re just going to Silverymoon.” Caelryth smiled and looked down at his young student, who did not return the favor.

“Everybody leaves me! Grown ups are always worried about what they have to do and it’s like they don’t even care how I feel about it!” Jenny’s voice was raised, but she wasn’t shouting.

“This isn’t some trip to save all of Faerun, it’s a vacation. Sometimes we need a change of scenery. I do hope to settle one day, but I’m not even two hundred years yet and I want travel. Is that so wrong?” Caelryth slumped against the wall and sat down.

“The only time I usually get to get out of this Temple is when you come for our lessons. Other than that it’s pretty damn boring!”

“Language young lady. You’re going to get me in trouble with the priests again.” His tone wasn’t really stern and he was forcing back a chuckle.

Jenny looked to Caelryth, her voice dripping with defeat. “It’s not fair. Why can’t I ever go with you.”

Caelryth’s ears perked up and his frown slowly disappeared. “That’s a damn good question. I don’t see any reason why you can’t go with us. Tell you what, you go pack some things and I’ll talk to one of the clerics; maybe Cybil will put a good word in for me. It’ll do you good to get some culture.”

Jenny’s smile could’ve lit a cave. “You mean it! I can go with you! This is great!” Jenny ran to the elf and gave him a big hug, nearly knocking him off his feet. “Are you sure they’ll allow it?”

“Yea, it should be all right. The Triumvirate has its hands full with more pressing matters right now, they could use a bit relief I’m sure.”

“What about your lady friend? Is she going to mind?” The young girl finally releases the elf from her grip.

“Elusa? Nah, she won’t mind all. It’ll be fun. Now hurry, go get some clothes packed, I’ve got to make the arrangements.”

Caelryth watched Jenny run down the hall to her room. To know that she could smile and be so full of joy after all she had been through brought a smile to the elf’s face. This scenario was why he never concerned himself with what people thought of him. At this moment, the only opinion he was concerned with was of that girl packing her things for a trip of a life time, and he was certain it was a good one.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Working...
              X