Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irony: Low Magic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony: Low Magic.

Probably shouldn't start this thread, as I know it's going to most likely lead to a nerd rage war but....

Anyone else find irony in the idea of 'low magic' servers that don't also have restrictions on caster classes?

In a true PnP setting that has low magic, pretty much only a few heroes have the ability to cast magic, and the rest are stuck with making do with what they have.

I've seen this on a lot of different servers (nwn1 and nwn2) where the push towards 'low-magic' creates a void between caster and non that cannot be bridged without some significant revamp of the system. But that requires a lot more work on the development side and constant balance tweeks, so most players end up playing a caster.

So now the server goes from 'low-magic', to 'low-magic gear' with way too much magic PC's and effectively the 'low-magic' feel is gone once again.

Again, this was a post of observation and opinion. It is not my intention to start any kind of argument; though one could argue 'why make the post then?' I suppose...

Conversation breeds creation! Or something like that...

You're actually quite correct.

Low magic settings have a scarcity of both magic items AND spellcasters. This makes anything magical in general rare, and forces everyone else to get by.

Since we don't inhibit or nerf spellcasters too much, and the mere fact that we go to level 20, I wouldn't really call Sundren a low magic server.

The rarity of powerful magical items actually widens the gap of power and balance between spellcasters and nonspellcasters. Fighters with +5 weapons and items that give them deathward and freedom of movement turns the whole thing on its head and makes melee classes suddenly much more powerful and viable.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between;
    and the circling is worth it, finding beauty in the dissonance.

Comment

On a level 20 server, I tend to think +3 enchantment to weapons, +5 enchantment to ac items, and +6 enchantment to abilities provides a good balance to the caster/noncaster dilemma. And boo to perma invulnerability anything items. Potions are fine, they can be dispelled

Comment

Can we limit the amount of threads complaining about balance issues to like 3 at a time. I'm not saying this one doesn't have merit, but there's like a billion threads of people complaining about stuff at the moment. Maybe table this one til next week?
        Originally posted by Saulus
        Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Interestingly, the gear level you describe is sort of available. The best faction items push up around there, and DM-granted Epic Event items definitely do. However, the latter is random / takes much effort, and the former requires inordinate amounts of grind, so the common reality for most of the server is very much low-item.
          Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
          Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

He isn't suggesting anything directly, though

Comment

Originally posted by crazyjerren View Post
              On a level 20 server, I tend to think +3 enchantment to weapons, +5 enchantment to ac items, and +6 enchantment to abilities provides a good balance to the caster/noncaster dilemma. And boo to perma invulnerability anything items. Potions are fine, they can be dispelled
              Ironic that it used to be that way Someone went in and undid all that effort I did in making it that way XD

Comment

I'd actually go higher on the enchantment to weapons, but none of that seems off to me.

If a wizard or cleric can GMW a +5 weapon, its obviously not game-breakingly powerful. (because people are using them every day)

Comment

Or... the spell could be downtuned.

*ducks and hides with stacking skill bonuses on trousers and sweater*

I like +3 on weapon enhancement, and it being rare. Magical stuff should be cool and not something you vendor without a second thought.

Comment

*throws rotten fruit at Kaeldorn*

Stop that.

Comment

+4 weapons from the highest rep requirements in factions, rare +5 weapons possible, +5-6 very rare stat bonus items ((While +4 items available to those with massive rep)), +5 armors rare((but possible, again +4 more available in factions)), and rare items with cool abilities like spell absorbtion ((Spell mantle castsw, or items with other more useful spells)) and perhaps rare weapons with cool things such as 10% chance greater dispel on hit. The dispel items DM controlled.

Also on a side note, I agree that as much as I like my chars to have immunity to things, I don't like persistent immunities..

Thats where I think we should be, but then again my opinion doesn't mean much. I will probably move on to character #42342122 in a day or so and forget all about silly things like balance and item strength.

Comment

Xaayne, level 20 frenzied berserker, has access to a temporary deathward(Frenzy!), freedom of movement ring, and +4 weapons/armor. Granted it doesn't really help much because he's a halfling frenzied berserker, but getting decent gear is infact possible without being in a faction if you have a lot, lot, lot, lot of luck and a lot of time invested.
                        Xaayne Zek: The man with no name.

Comment

+4 Items are possible, although not plausible, through only PC crafting. It was my understanding Xayne that the freedom ring is one of a kind. I've not seen the plans drop anywhere, and weren't most of the components requiring DM intervention to obtain?

Comment

The plans are rare from cryptic notes as I understand, they require a King's Tear(Pretty rare), 10 Snake Skins(Not dropped ingame), and 6k. I don't know if it's unique or not, though. Probably?

The +4 armor was made through PC crafting, but 50 fatigue is a pretty steep hit for anyone to take.
                            Xaayne Zek: The man with no name.

Comment

The plans for a Freedom of Movement ring are also available from at least two faction stores.
                              James Arrow: Potion Vendor

Comment

Working...
                              X