Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PrC Review: Combat Medic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundant, but it should probably be here for those considering this class.

There are 2 problems I have encountered with the Combat Medic class that one should be aware of before taking it:

1) Combat Medic's Sanctuary kicker can be dangerous as it takes Agro from the one being healed and puts it on other people. In my experience, healing has become "extremely" dangerous to my healer and other support PCs. I have to travel primarily with warriors and chug an invisibility potion in every encounter, otherwise Abby's healing is a menace to my party and myself.

2) At level 15 with a maxed wisdom, the healing kicker's DC is nearly double my will save, so I fail to pass it nearly 50% of the time, resulting in two rounds that I cannot heal my companion. Sometimes the monster passes the will save and I fail, leaving me unable to heal them at critical times. I’ve experienced loosing party members to this.

By level 20, you should be able to get your will save much higher, but you'll still likley fail 10% to 20% of will saves against it as a cleric/combat medic.

Closing: The Sanctuary Kicker is great so long as you have unlimited access to invisibility, or else are a tank yourself and don’t mind attracting Agro. Though you’ll always be putting other support PCs at risk and also risk being unable to heal your pals. It’s a great class, and offers some good bonus feats, esspecially if you are a priest fond of melee combat because of the dodge and evasion. I find the class works best when used with more than one front line warrior in the group. With a solid group of warriors, you can even get away with healing without being invisable, so long as the warriors keep a tight formation so one can suck up agro after you heal the one next to him.

The bonus to the heal skill is great for RP, but by the way bandages function; it only gets you part way to a +1 increased tick in bandages mechanically.

My recommendation would be to either allow the sanctuary kicker as an effect you can toggle on and off so you could use it only when it was needed, or else use a force push effect instead so as not to break Agro. Either change would make the PrC amazing.
    Last edited by Laurk; 11-05-2013, 12:08 AM. Reason: Updated info

Comment

I have a level 15 cleric with 5 levels of combat medic. I read the post and I simply don't understand where you are coming from on the DC for the sanctuary. I have a 28 DC on my heal kicker and can count the times I have failed it on one hand.

I am not quite sure were you are going with the comment on heal. I use heal all the time. It works as per the game description. I have never seen a limit on the amount health it gives back. Though I will say that the most I ever healed for in one pop is roughly 3 to 4 hundred HP. Maybe if you are trying to heal characters with more HP then that there is an issue?

I guess I am confused because I don't seem to be having the same issues you are. Maybe we should compare in game? I don't know.

Edit: also- your math is off. You did not account for the 2 casting levels you receive with 5 levels of CM. So, while you are still right in that a level 20 cleric will have a better average, it is by a smaller margin.
      Last edited by Fuzziebunny; 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM.
      GMT -9

Comment

Well currently im level 16, and my DC Is 27. My Will save is 14 and thats with a 24 (max) wisdom including +2 gear. That means I have to roll a 13 (or is it 14 to exceed?) to pass the save, so im actually failing more than 60% of the time. However I usually cast conviction for a total of 17 for a 50% chance to pass.

By level 20, I expect my will save to be close to 20, 24 with conviction, and the DC for healing kicker will be 28. That's still a 1 in 5 chance of failing on a d20. Not bad, but given how often you use it, it could still be an issue.

So where does it say you get a +2 to caster level from 5 CM levels? I didn't think you got any, but I did get almost 130 with a heal spell the other day, which is why I posted that this needed more testing. If that's the case, it would jive since I have 11 cleric levels and 5 CM levels.

Curious though: how can you get 400 hp out of the heal spell since it only gives back 10 per caster level and caps at 150? Are you thinking about Greater Restoration?

Let me retool my numbers with an aditional 2 caster levels:

Level 20 cleric:
        w/ healing domain: 4d12 (average 26) +30 (cleric lvl x1.5) + 10 (augment) = 66 average.

Level 15 cleric, level 5 ComMed:
        w/ healing domain: 4d12 (average 26) +26 (cleric lvl x 1.5) +14 (improv augment) = 66 average.

Brilliant they work out completely even! Add the impowered Aid, and the average HP you give as a combat medic is MUCH higher, esspecially on low level curatives where the improved augment actually exceeds normal clerics.

So I can erase #3 as a concern.

One and 2 are still worth considering before taking the class.

Comment

It is actually 65.5 but I guess I should have assumed that the game would round up. I didn't. I iz dumb sometimes!

As for heal, I am not sure where the 10 per level comes from. Was this spell changed? I know when harm is cast it does the whole level thingy and does not reduce you to 1 HP. Are you positive you can't heal to full health?

Edit: are you talking about mass heal by chance? Cause.... This spell is lame and you can get better heals out of a cure critical
          GMT -9

Comment

Ya, Heal is 10 per level up to 150. Mass heal is 10 per level up to 250.

You're probably thinking of Greater Restoration which restores 100% of missing HP.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Heal_(spell)

Im going to update my original post above.

Comment

Working...
            X