Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death timer (3 mins) on Non-pvp kills as well?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death timer (3 mins) on Non-pvp kills as well?

Should we implement the three minute wait for respawn on PVE kills as well?
    Yes
    56.52%
    No
    29.35%
    Uncaring or Undecided
    14.13%

I voted no.

I don't see how being kept idle can be considered fun, given how a character gets booted back to the church and already have to return to his or her party. There already was an experience point loss after all and the other players might be waiting for their missing member (I'm ignoring the RP repercussions of the death itself, however - that's up to the respective players in this situation)
    Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

I am for the timer mainly because it means death is taken even more harshly and perhaps people will know when to retreat from a battle. Not everything is progress in a story, sometimes you have to backstep.

Not everyone is the ultimate slayer of doom. There are foes you cannot beat, at least yet.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I voted no for this, as a death penalty is enough. A timer only makes the player annoyed at the wait and in the worst case scenario he/she logs off.

You want to make the players respect death more, i say it lies not in the avenue of punishment (harsh death penalties and so on), but towards education of the masses and award good RP. As you might see, I am a fan of the carrot instead of the stick

Not gotten to see this world yet (waiting in line for approval ), so take my opinions as is
        Player of: Sakamoto. Warrior following the Way of the Blade.

I can hear what you're thinking,
        All your doubts and fears,
        And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find,
        The reason I'm here.

Comment

the timer would force people to wait for rp to occur before blinking back to the temple... good idea.

Maleficus "Ravenor" Carnificis
          "Dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. I can sense your ripeness and, oddly enough, it is time for the harvest. Please, save your tears... I intend to reap your sorrow slowly and have ages to discover the things that make you suffer... I am eager to revel in the sweet melody of your screams and the melancholy of your despair..."
          Eldraxus Tzyvioq
          Mystic Theurge (and Harper) of Deneir wandering the Sundered Valley in search of (and with the intention of mapping out) places of power, ley-line intersections, and other locations where the divine and arcane intersect...

Comment

I voted yes, primarely because I feel that death in itself matters too little to the players. I'm hoping they'll learn the concept of fearing death by this, if for no better reason than to avoid the boredom of death

Comment

Heh... 11:11 as I threw in my vote (voted yes).

Seriously... Asha was killed by a destruction spell... I respawned, we had some very nice rp off of it getting her healed, but I really was quite shocked when I saw what she lost for the respawn...

71 XP?

That's like... nothing! A three minute timer is the least you can do... and I'd say raise the death penalty, too - although.. on second thought.. with destruction spells.. no. Don't.
              Playing Asha'easaahae Illeleste & Frem

Comment

Originally posted by Anauroch View Post
                Heh... 11:11 as I threw in my vote (voted yes).

Seriously... Asha was killed by a destruction spell... I respawned, we had some very nice rp off of it getting her healed, but I really was quite shocked when I saw what she lost for the respawn...

71 XP?

That's like... nothing! A three minute timer is the least you can do... and I'd say raise the death penalty, too - although.. on second thought.. with destruction spells.. no. Don't.
                The xp lost on respawn is related to what level you are, and I believe, how much XP you have. If you recently leveled, and only had 71 xp into your next level, that's all you'll lose. Try dying 1 XP from level, then you'll feel it.

Comment

I haven't played yet either, but here's my opinion anyways

I would vote yes, but under a couple conditions. First, if the respawn time of monsters is higher than that, to allow the other people that might be with you to use that time to role play making preparations to cast a Raise Dead or Ressurrection on you and the like, without being surprised by monsters spawning and ruining it all Second, if it's only for when you're waiting to be brought back from the dead by the rest of your party. I'm assuming (and hoping) respawning where you died is disabled and you respawn back in a temple or something. You're then already being sent back and split from your party. Having to wait for a timer on top of it would just be annoying and serve little purpose, don't ya think? Specially when dying can be just a matter of really bad luck, like a critical hit and huge unexpected damage or a lag spike

Comment

Yes, im sick of trying to make an rp to people who die from goblins, and make an attempt to get them revived by a priest or the temple... they just immediatly click respawn button after they die.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulseczar View Post
                      The xp lost on respawn is related to what level you are, and I believe, how much XP you have. If you recently leveled, and only had 71 xp into your next level, that's all you'll lose. Try dying 1 XP from level, then you'll feel it.
                      Yeah. I remember losing a whooping ~400xp once. I was like "Ouch! Okay, no more ghouls for me singlehandly..."
                      Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

It makes death ''crap, need to wait, I died''. and not ''RE SPAWN KEKE"'. I vote yes.

Comment

I voted yes. 3 minutes of waiting after death... is nothing. That's barely time enough to go brew a cup of joe. I'd still like to see gold loss and more xp loss frankly.

A lot of people want to RP their PCs killing monsters, being powerful, getting gear and xp, all the positive things, but don't want to deal with any set backs or consequences to their actions. That makes the gains more superficial; it's when the risks are real and losses are painful that the gains become all the more rewarding and meaningful as well. Otherwise, that new
                          +2 sword will be meaningless and people will get tired of it quickly, and then you start demanding the next tier of goodies right away.

It's human nature unfortunately; you spoil someone by making things too easy and they'll quickly start demanding more...
                          PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

I voted yes. 3 minutes is nothing and encourages RP.
                            Drake Thel

Comment

Voted yes, I'm all for death being as uncomfortable as possible.... well...errr...except for the real thing.
                              Thain

Astin

Dergil

Comment

Working...
                              X