Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you stay at the inns around Sundren?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you stay at the inns around Sundren?

I want to know if people actually use the inn system or even know about it. I did just fix a few bugs with one inn so if that was the issue stopping people... it's gone now. I also made the pricing a lot cheaper. Plus it's a good place to store things.

Does anyone have any ideas how to improve the system or how to make it more worthwhile to rent a room?
    All the time!
    7.41%
    Sometimes...
    19.75%
    Not really
    38.27%
    Wait -- Sundren has persistent inns??
    34.57%
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Well, the idea i thought would work too get more people into inn's would take away from the aspect of the camp fire. But if people could only rest in Inn's unless they had a roll pack, then people might start staying over night in the inn's more often.

Again depends on what is wanted, Accessibility or Realistic roleplay. Does everyone sit around a fire while resting nonstop in the rain, or can you really not sit in a nonstop down pour and get a good night rest?
    Favorite quote : "Lets see..if they were children, Cirion would be pulling mara's pigtails , Os would be drawling on walls and Grom would be playing with matches."

Comment

Back in a former DM's plotline, me, Cadmus, Igneous, and Z'huul would rent out rooms for privacy. Lock the door, cast True Sight, and keep someone posted at the end of the hall. But did any of us actually use the inn for typical inn purposes? Nope. Not that I'm aware of.

I don't think there is that much appeal to renting a room. Why bother? Just so you can say "Hey, I have a room"?

Unless you have tons of stuff you can't carry, there just isn't that much that draws me to it. That isn't a fault of Sundren though - I've just never liked going out of my to get an inn on any server, in any game. I just to myself, "What can I do in an inn room that I can't do anywhere else"?
      Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

I'm with Subal on this one. Only true way would be to remove the rest benefits from camp fires. Perhaps place a tavern at the Exigo Camp as well? It's always fun to walk into a full tavern of others ordering drinks and such. Only allow rest locations in certain places... for them nature types that wouldn't frequent an inn they could go to the Druid's glave etc. Anyway just an idea... either way great server.
        I'm enjoying all the updates since I left awhile back.
        "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
        Laric Frashul - Healer Priest of Ilmater

Comment

my thoughts exactly, make the rest spots very rare, and not in places where it will draw people too just sit nonstop
          Favorite quote : "Lets see..if they were children, Cirion would be pulling mara's pigtails , Os would be drawling on walls and Grom would be playing with matches."

Comment

My characters have no particular reason to stay at an inn. There are other places they are more likely to stay, given their particular situations.

I also do not trust persistent storage at all. Theres no way I'm storing anything in a chest, nor do I have anything to store anyways. As nice an idea as it is, with it not being a feature built into the game, any scripted solutions have exceptions and bugs that make it all too possible to lose items. Its nothing against the coders here, but I just do not have any faith in persistent storage systems, after how long I've played NWN and NWN 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark presence View Post
              My characters have no particular reason to stay at an inn. There are other places they are more likely to stay, given their particular situations.

I also do not trust persistent storage at all. Theres no way I'm storing anything in a chest, nor do I have anything to store anyways. As nice an idea as it is, with it not being a feature built into the game, any scripted solutions have exceptions and bugs that make it all too possible to lose items. Its nothing against the coders here, but I just do not have any faith in persistent storage systems, after how long I've played NWN and NWN 2.
              The BioDB storage can be flakey and that's what we're using now. There is a DB based plugin for storage but it's not compatible with our server because we're running x64. When they do update though (which should be soon) I will be moving over to that and it will be much more reliable, having said that... I haven't really seen any serious problems with the current storage solutions thus far.
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Mmm.. Hano's place is at the Triumvirate Temple. If he were to go anywhere to retire for the night it would be their barracks.

The inn idea is in theory kind of useless unless it gave you a benefit, or you recieved a penalty for not doing so. Perhaps if sleeping in a warm bed at night gave you a 'well rested' bonus (Which would be whatever you'd decide, likely suspect being +x amount of HP over your maximum amount) I would consider going out of my way for a nice warm bed at night.

As it stands though you recieve the same thing from campfires as you do inns.. Except one of them costs money.
                "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
                Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

I go to inns solely to buy alcohol for RP purposes...which I drink around the campfire.

Besides, the Sundren Comfort cost way too much. Even the Four Lanterns, at 45GP a night, is a bit steep. I've used the free rooms, but as it is, there's no real incentive to staying at inns and potentially spending money when you can get the same effect around the campfire. Besides, nobody goes there anyway.

The post prior about a tavern in the Exigo camps gave me an idea...how about someone selling alcohol and food for the intrepid, tired adventurers that congregate there?
                  Characters:
                  Pericles Redfoot
                  Wings

Comment

I think inns and not being able to rest in heavy armor have the same problem: they sound good in the beginning but in reality ... People take of their armor when they run out of spells, no matter where they are and who is traveling with them. I roleplayed this situation a few times with a female character but after you did this a few times you stop caring about it.

And why should i go to an inn unless i realy, realy want to roleplay ordering an drink or a meal? Maybe if the inns would be easier to reach. But right now you first have to travel to a town, then walk through half of the area and enter the inn. It takes longer and has a certain chance of crashing. And you can't even sell anything there. Now compare this to the Exigo post: you can reach it by just clicking on the world map and you can also sell/buy some stuff there. And when you want to travel somewhere else it takes just a few seconds to leave it. It offers everything an adventurer needs in one single place.

Of course most of the characters would prefer a warm bed in RL. But they also wouldn't run around in fullplates carrying a towershield all the time but would use much lighter equipment instead. But at least in NWN the are not penalties for running around like a tin can. In RL you would feel the pain when you are hit by a sword. And you would try to avoid being hit. But here people don't really mind when they are reduced to 10% of their hitpoints. And they don't feel the cold ground and rain either. So you don't care about it.

Comment

I agree with the crashing issue. I crash so often these days the less area transitions I have to make, the better
                      Characters:
                      Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                      Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                      If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

An idea i just had and that would make a warm bed much more desireable: how about the chance of sleeping bad when you are not using a bed. And this chance would be higher the less comforable the resting place is. Maybe you wake up to early so that you regain all your spells? Maybe one or two of your stats are reduced by one? This could also depend on your class: druids, rangers and barbarians wouldn't have a problem with resting in the wilderness while a mage would do everything to find a bed.

Comment

Everyone seems intent on suggesting ideas that 'scare' people to inns. Wheras it'd be more realistic for RP purposes I must admit that it's not fun! Nobody would enjoy suffering penalties and being forced to find an inn lest they gamble with their survivability - Which is very important on this server!

So I'll stick with my belief that resting at an inn, getting 'well rested', would be far more appealing if it were optional but benefitial! Similar to .pray-ing at places of worship.

Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Lollercide View Post
                            Everyone seems intent on suggesting ideas that 'scare' people to inns. Wheras it'd be more realistic for RP purposes I must admit that it's not fun! Nobody would enjoy suffering penalties and being forced to find an inn lest they gamble with their survivability - Which is very important on this server!
                            I know that all such things belong into the same category like being forced to eat and drink. And these two things would make me very..."sad". So such ideas must be handled with caution. But i doubt that a few temporary hitpoints would encourage anybody to go to an inn unless he already goes there for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Maevan2 View Post
                              I know that all such things belong into the same category like being forced to eat and drink. And these two things would make me very..."sad". So such ideas must be handled with caution. But i doubt that a few temporary hitpoints would encourage anybody to go to an inn unless he already goes there for other reasons.
                              Doesn't have to be temporary hit points though! .pray-ing at a place of worship gives you +1 damage and AB - that's free! A well balanced buff that is both very benefitial without being overpowered is the idea I'm getting across.

Comment

Working...
                              X