Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Server Reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Server Reboot

After following up on some people describing delays ingame I started thoroughly logging all server performance activity, after determining that the network and server itself were performing fine I looked over to NWN2.

It seems most of these issues stem from the server running for long periods of time. In an effort to help alleviate any potential issues the server now reboots automatically every 12 hours at 1 AM GMT -5 (EST) and 1 PM (same timezone).

When the new server arrives I suspect any problems to lessen from the faster performing hardware.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Thanks, Saulus!

Also... I don't know how heavily heartbeat scripts and lots of spawned items (i.e. Goblin ears and such) will eventually bog down the memory - which might also be an issue on a new server, as the game has a limited amount of memory resources. I know it was an issue in NWN1.

But anyway, a reset seems to miprove things dramatically.
    Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
    Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
    Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
    Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
    Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

We don't use heartbeat scripts and spawned items aren't an issue because they are automatically cleaned up. If we did use heartbeat scripts increased CPU usage would be evident, whatever the problem it lays within the nwn2 server client itself, as performance/network capacity is not a concern.

Regardless, the new server has a significantly faster CPU for such operations.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

We don't use heartbeat scripts
        We don't use many heartbeat scripts
        We don't use intensive heartbeat scripts

Just a edit so that all the would be server admins out there don't call us liars or ignorant.

Comment

Besides I have a tool that profiles all of Sundren's scripts and tells me how many times they were called and how many milliseconds it took to run. It's all speedy because Sundren has very well refined code that has been thoroughly tested by now.

George Carlin

Comment

Only one person's said it so far, so I'll say it again. Thank you. It was getting so bad that I was afraid to go do anything besides sit at the Exigo at times. Hopefully it's just that Sundren is outgrowing its pants.
            Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
            "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
            UTC -4

Comment

Thanks Saulus, keep up the great work!
              Ru'umel Amakiir - Ranger of the Corps de Grace
              Will Smither - Imbuer of some, Master of None...
              Zelom Silverstar - Evangelistic singing elf
              Originally posted by Machiavelli
              "What in hells are you doin' with my chicken?"

Comment

I'll say it once and I'll say it now.....sundren....is...a monster....mrwar

well done

Comment

have it down to were you know how often a script is even called? neat.

Was wondering about the goblin ear thing my charactor was turning a nice profit just cleaning the area of ears others left lying around until they would not take any more.

The more I been playing the more I been wondering "this is beta?". Well done staff.
                  blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
                  Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
                  I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

Does the server still reboot periodically?
                    I was hoping my new PC might get the intro quests before the quest givers are killed again.
                    This is the best signature I could think of.

Comment

I don't think the server has rebooted in several days!
                      sigpic
                      Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

Now there's a possible explanation for the lag spikes on the character sheet: overload of local variables saved on PC's. Are you sure it hasn't rebooted? I can't tell because I haven't stayed up til 7 am for a while now

Comment

I haven't been on for the reset in a few days, but I did notice that when I logged in with the two or three char I've been puttering with the last few days that certain things were still saved. Last night when I left I think the day was 20 Kryton (or whatever the month is ). So if reset sets it to 1 and there is a 1:6 ratio, it's been on a while without a reset. My searchable variables were still off, and usually after a reset I have to turn them on again. A couple of other people have been suspicious as well.
                          Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
                          Cybil Gelley (Retired)
                          Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

I had restarts disabled while I was doing a backup, they are on now.

George Carlin

Comment

Server reboots can only be another good thing!

Thanks,

~Thief
                              Originally posted by roguethree
                              If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X