Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lag Solution - A small win for Sundren?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Solution - A small win for Sundren?

So after some hefty script rewriting on our part of Sundren. We seemed to have made the lag many times better.

Basically some stuff in NWN2 is bugged and we had to move where code occurred. Apparently doing certain actions at certain times helps people lose Sync causing flooding. This was researched by a buddy of mine and passed on to me

So far we went from 9PM last night until now lag free, let's hope it continues!

huzzah to all the devs!

Comment

Lag is gone! The lag is gone! oh god it's gone!
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Woo-hoo
        Characters
        "Uerick Elithe" The Soft Berserker - Misunderstood and in hiding!
        "Hop Deepockets" The Conniving Hin - Running about, looking for gold!
        "Sarien Lith" The Tempus Fanatic - Hunting Banites!

Comment

Another fine job as always guys! And thanks to your research buddy from all of us!
          "That which you cannot interdict, you incapacitate."
          Andrew Vachss

Comment

You guys are by far the best team that I have encountered NWN1 or 2!

Great work!

Comment

OH GODS YEAAHH! NO lag

Comment

Oh Frabjous Day, Calloo, Callay!
                *chortle chortle*

I will now try to do more than simply lurk about.
                This is the best signature I could think of.

Comment

It didnt continue.

Comment

i hope i can get some time to play soon.

Comment

You had to know I was going to ask this:

Firstly, how in hell did you locate the preciese areas that were causing the problems? That's pretty impressive. Must have been tedius unless they knew the Server processing code.

Next, it cant have been a simple process. Was it just a timing issue, or where there actual elements that were causing problems that you had to do a complete work around for?
                      Calini Anna'Des - Resentful of the Law's values and troubled with her Past.

"The life of the creative person is lead, directed and controlled by boredom. Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes." - Saul Steinberg

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        You had to know I was going to ask this:

Firstly, how in hell did you locate the preciese areas that were causing the problems? That's pretty impressive. Must have been tedius unless they knew the Server processing code.

Next, it cant have been a simple process. Was it just a timing issue, or where there actual elements that were causing problems that you had to do a complete work around for?
                        Esentially a lot of script manipulation with players won't work while in loading screens and can cause the clients to go out of sync, operations that would normally not result in any adverse problems in normal operation suddenly cause crashes and flooding due to syncing issues. By simply delaying some of our executions we effectively avoid this issue altogether.

It mostly comes down to timing, it wasn't documented anywhere that certain things execute before they are actually ready to receive input...
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

And that is related to this thread how?

George Carlin

Comment

YEah I always knew those loading screnns were screwed up. I only ever crashed with them.
                            Jaggath Tharn, Better Than Sex.

Lenier Miloan, Totally a Tormtar.

Comment

Working...
                            X