Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I get lag/crash in Neverwinter Nights 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I get lag/crash in Neverwinter Nights 2?

I'm sure everyone here has crashed on an area transition before, or experienced inexplicable lag.

Well our own Lallendos here is a network engineer, and GodBeastX is a programmer by profession. Over the past few days we have been working our hardest to solve why people crash when they transition, and why the server lags.

The server itself is almost crash-free, especially after the improvements in patch 1.06. But why do you crash on transition? Well the problem has to do with the way NWN2 handles its network code. NWN2 uses UDP and has an issue where if a packet is lost or out of order, it can sometimes drop the client entirely, or flood them with data. This is one of the contributing factors to why you just randomly crash while transitioning.

People may also experience lag spikes on the server, as you may know our new server is professional-grade and it's resources both in terms of memory, cpu and banwidth are barely tapped into by running Sundren and our Teamspeak server. Some of the lag issues are caused by problems in the game with pathfinding, and using the WASD keys to walk. Of course, there are other issues in the game as well that Obsidian is hard at work on to resolve these problems.

I have been informed by Rob McGinnis that many of these issues are intended to be addressed in patch 1.08, which will be released along with the new expansion, Mask of the Betrayer. Of course this doesn't mean it's the end-all solve-all patch for all problems, but the majority of the larger issues (some that I haven't mentioned above) should be fixed.

While it is our goal here in the Sundren staff to provide a smooth gameplay experience, we are at the mercy of the software we run the world on (Neverwinter Nights 2) when it comes to issues like this. We have done all we can on our part.

I would just like to give everyone an insight into exactly why you have these problems because let's face it, they frustrate all of us, they frustrate Obsidian. It's not always an easy fix.

But we can take some solace in the fact that the higher powers that be know we have these problems, and there are people working on them.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Working...
X