Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portal Pass/Identification Papers: Overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal Pass/Identification Papers: Overview

Sundren City Pass and ID Information
    There are two components to the city portal: Identification papers, and passes. Both have expiration dates, after which they are no longer valid. The dates use real world time, but in character just refer to them by how long they are valid for. The default expiration date is 6 months from date of creation.

Identification Papers
    Identification papers come in four types. They are nonmagical scrolls (information tattooed into sheepskin). All but one type has the portrait of their authorized bearer also tattooed into them, making theft futile. Characters must have at least one type of identification paper on them at all times while in the city. Legionnaires can and will demand to see papers from anyone acting suspiciously, or just annoying them. Not having papers will result in your character being thrown out of the city, or just thrown off it.
    • Noble
      • Noble papers can not be acquired on your own. DMs issue them to noble PCs and other high society types. They are made of the finest quality, and the portrait is in full color (and always the best angle). Nobles may freely access the city portal at will with these papers.
    • Citizen
      • Citizen papers can be acquired by anyone that declares themself to be a loyal citizen of the State. The cost of the papers is also the new de facto means of taxing citizens. Sundren citizens are beholden to Sundren's laws not just when in the city, but also when on the surface. Disobeying orders from Legion authorized personnel will result in you citizenship being revoked. Citizens may freely access the city with these papers.
    • Merchant
      • Not just for merchants! These papers are significantly cheaper than citizen papers as they are more of a trade tax and way of keeping track of foreigners than anything else. Although everyone in the city has to follow Legion laws, merchant ID holders have not declared their loyalty to Sundren and so are treated like the foreign nationals they are. They are not legally obligated to obey the edicts of Sundren while not in the city, although upsetting the powers that be can result in banishment from the city. The portrait is in black and white.
    • Refugee
      • With so many refugees and other destitutes in the city when it lifted off, the Legion has been hard pressed to extract taxes from the vagrants, and lacks the time to give them all citizen papers. To deal with that problem, refugee passes were created. They have no portrait, and only have basic information on them (name, race, sex, approximate age). Refugees are not allowed outside of Cheapside unless they have a valid work permit for another district. Refugees can access the city once per day, as the roleplay rationale is that refugees are admitted once a day, in a large batch at once.

Again, identification documents are required for everyone in the city. Legionaires can and will demand papers from shady characters, those without can expect a frogmarch to Aenator Terese to acquire them, if the Legionnaire likes them, or an immediate deportation if they don't.

City Passes
    City Passes are special documents that proclaim special status within Sundren on the pass bearer. They are vellum scrolls with the pass bearer's portrait, name, and other information tattooed into them. They are heavily enchanted by the Hands to prevent forgery.

There are four types of passes
    • Issuing
      • Issuing Passes are only given out by DMs to the most trusted and well respected members of the Legion and its affiliate allies. Issuing Pass bearers may authorize the creation of any sort of identification paper or work permit, and may authorize the creation of any other sort of portal pass.
    • Legion
      • Legion passes are issued to members of the Legion or Hands to those that are trusted to go out, find allies, and bring them back to the city, as well as deal with paperwork such as document issuance. Possession of a Legion pass by anyone else is a capital offense. Legion Pass bearers may authorize the creation of any sort of identification paper or work permit, and may authorize the creation of citizen and merchant passes.
    • Citizen
      • Citizen passes are issued to citizens and respected allies of Sundren. They allow the bearer the authority to grant noncitizens and refugees the privilege to enter the city with them. Anyone invited in by a citizen must show valid papers to the on duty guard to enter.
    • Merchant
      • Again, not just for merchants. These passes allow the bearer to enter Sundren, and nothing more. They are given to those that have ways to help the city (generally in mercantile ways) but are not themselves citizens.

Accessing the City
    To access the city, one must present valid papers to the on duty guard at the portal (name marked in yellow). From there, citizens and nobles may enter freely. Refugees may enter once per day, for reasons described above. Noncitizens are barred entry unless they meet the following conditions.
    • Sneak in as a refugee (again, once per day)
    • Assist Earl Grey, Exigo Trader, with getting his goods into the city and so go in on his pass.
    • Members of certain factions may enter the city freely, provided they have valid papers.
      • Exigo and its subfactions
      • The Legion and its subfactions
      • The Triumvirate
      • The Temple of Helm

Those Left Out
    We are still working on the system and trying to strike a balance between player enjoyment and realism. We welcome all constructive comments and suggestions.

Members of factions that were previously looking to forge passes and papers. Now is the time to bump your threads and revisit your event requests for realizing those goals.

Bottom Line
    Sundren citizens, as identified by either citizen or noble identification documents, enable access the Sundren portal for their bearer.

Noncitizens require some other sort of authorization, as defined above.

Refugees may enter the city once per day.

Polt, you da' man.
    Originally posted by Saulus
    Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Word, yo. That's some awesome work right there.
      Characters:
      Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
      Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
      If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

Keep a look out for a page on the wiki as well with this same info! But yes, Polt did some fantastic work!
        Originally posted by Satoshi
        Boobs > You. Cornuto: 0 Cat: 1
        Originally posted by Cornuto
        Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

I have a question on the difference between citizen stuff and merchants.

Are citizen papers only for actual citizens of Sundren? The description here also says adventurers and transients, who are decidedly not Sundren citizens. I would think adventurers/transients would fall under the merchant pass, seeing as they aren't citizens of the State.

• Citizen
            • Citizen papers can be acquired by anyone that declares themself to be a loyal citizen of the State. The cost of the papers is also the new de facto means of taxing those pesky adventurers and other transient types. The portrait is in black and white.

• Merchant
            • Not just for merchants! These papers are more expensive, because they are for anyone that is not a citizen of Sundren. Although everyone in the city has to follow Legion laws, merchant ID holders have not declared their loyalty to Sundren and so are treated like the foreign nationals they are. The portrait is in black and white.

If transients/adventurers fall under citizen, then I see very few people actually needing merchant papers.
          -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

well maybe im doing something wrong here, but here goes.

i can perchase both the refugee and citizens ID Papers. but when i speak to the guard on duty by the portal it brings up a conversation. at which time he asks me for my ID i show him (which is what i assume "contiue" option is) and then the conversation breaks, and i still cannot proceed.

sorry if i missed something here.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvitALivzE

Comment

The same in my case, they won't let me in. When I bought the refuge one it worked with the citizenship they don't care.
              Kili - mercenary of the Blackwood Company
              Sile - impoverished free merchant, looking for her own happiness
              Lindi - wandering bard and actress

Comment

In keeping with rhifox, my elf whoose homeland is evermeet and marked with a feat, bought citizen passes, only because that was cheaper. How about forcing them who has regstrered as a foreigner to buy merchant id papers and passes?

also where do tokens fit in here? I got a token by the aenator by the gate. I dont really see it fitting with what you wrote
                My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
                Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Comment

I was issued with a complete set of papers which no longer work. The RP was done in this thread: http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19219.

The Citizen Identification Papers and the Citizen's Portal Pass I now have were both issued by Dain Tornbrook and the expiry date on them is February 31, 2013. I was earlier issued with papers as per the RP thread and these replaced those originally issued.

If the papers are no longer valid, then consider this a bump to try and get a third set of papers to enter the City.
                  Cheers,
                  Dave
                  ================
                  Tery Mard

Comment

If you had papers before last night, you will need new ones... if the refugee pass isn't working stay tuned, Polt will take a look and we will issue a hotfix.... rest assured we wan't to make this process EASY, and SIMPLE... while still maintaining our intent of creating a sense of paranoia in the city, which is a police state essentially.
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

There will be a new NPC in the Gate of the Sunderer, Earl Grey. Earl is an Exigo merchant frustrated with his guards' refusal to transport his goods into the city for sale. Players may speak with him and offer to walk his wares through themselves.

This will be in addition to the ability to enter as a refugee.

Comment

I've created a brand new character and the citizenship papers don't work. The documents for refuge do. In the conversation with Preatorian Kaima I show her my papers and she wants yet another set of papers ... the pass. I tried all the NPCs and can't find somebody to give me it.

Question ... do I need citizenship papers AND another set of papers called Pass? If yes ... I am really not able to find the NPC. And if there is yet another set of papers called Pass, could you please make at least some conversation with a hint where or how to obtain these papers? I bet that if I'd ask some of those legionaries they would be able to give me this info. All of this ... only if the Pass thingy exist. If not means citizenship papers don't really work. Purchased few minutes ago.

Comment

Simply walk into 7th Legion HQ at the Gate. On your left standing next to the small podium stand is Aenator Kuan. Once you begin speaking with him he will say it will take two weeks to process your papers. Select the dialog choice (paraphrasing) that is crazy... You will have the option of executing a bribe, etc. of 10 gp to get your refugee's status. Once you get to the Portal, speak to the Yellow Texted Toon on your right and she will allow you to pass.
                          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ManUtd4Ever View Post
                            Simply walk into 7th Legion HQ at the Gate. On your left standing next to the small podium stand is Aenator Kuan. Once you begin speaking with him he will say it will take two weeks to process your papers. Select the dialog choice (paraphrasing) that is crazy... You will have the option of executing a bribe, etc. of 10 gp to get your refugee's status. Once you get to the Portal, speak to the Yellow Texted Toon on your right and she will allow you to pass.
                            Yep, as I wrote .. this works for the refuge papers, but not for the papers with citizenship.

Comment

Refugee papers are sufficient to get you into Cheapside of the city. If you get caught elsewhere and asked for identification, you're going to be in trouble.

To access the city as a full citizen, you must have both Citizen Identification papers and a Citizen Portal Pass.
                              Originally posted by Cornuto
                              Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Working...
                              X