Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Sundering FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Sundering FAQ

Second Sundering Update

What is the Second Sundering?

The Second Sundering is a name used by the staff for the story events that will take place just prior to the update.
    More will become clear as the plot plays out, but it is mainly a reference to the event that will preceed the update.

You said this update would be out soon, that was months ago, what's going on?

Please understand the staff is very excited about this update. It's our largest update since launching the server, and
    we want everyone to be pleased with the changes we made and feel we really did a good job. Our staff is not very large,
    and we split our time between playing, DMing, and real life.

Sometimes setting a date is meaningless because you can't give real timelines on volunteer work.

What's this update going to include anyway, why should we care?

Many mechanics of Sundren have already been recently overhauled so we could fine tune them in preparation for this update.
    But here's some of the things you can expect:

- Two entirely new dungeons on both ends of the level spectrum
    - A completely re-envisioned Sundren-City from (under) the ground up, along with its own world map
    - All Encounters on Sundren redesigned to fall into combat categories of Common/Elite/Champion/Boss/Epic Boss, with color
    coding to easily identity difficulty and potential rewards
    - Encounters will require more diverse party composition, remaining challenging without alienating favorable styles of play (ie melee builds)
    - Less likelihood of encounters spawning on top of you, or running into another player's 'trash' spawns
    - Custom loot tables for all encounters that reflect creature difficulty (risk vs reward)
    - New equipment available in standard & faction stores
    - Completely new intro experience for starting characters
    - Rest zones become available only in Inns/Taverns, Faction HQs, and Temples (other small exceptions may apply, ie easter egg rest spots)
    - Personal player storage (the same as inns) becomes available at Faction HQs and the Temple of Waukeen
    - Additional custom content & architecture assets to further define a unique look and feel that differs from the NWN2 campaign
    - New low level quests to help mitigate excessive grinding to gain levels
    - Each and every zone in Sundren will be 'tweaked' to reflect the history and changes over the years, along with recent events
    - Many miscellaneous bugfixes

I hope this gives people insight into why this update has been such a long time coming, and why it is important for us to get it right. There will be a beta period after this update is released where people should expect glitches or potential problems as this is normal.

We will be working diligently to make sure everything goes smoothly and that bugs will be few and far in-between.

A date is not yet set but currently our release timeline is before end of summer, and we are very confident of reaching that target.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Don't forget the new monument. R3's boots will be covered in gold and magically-flavored, then set on display in the finest inn for easy tongue access to those of high esteem.

I'm excited for all of the above.

Comment

Bonus updates:

- Elves will be 50% less lame (but still pretty lame to stay true to PnP).

- The player UI now has a toggle to automatically emote *Nods* when you pass another player*

- In response to player demands we've added a much much more complex resource gathering/crafting system.

*Projected to automate 98% of the RP currently on the server.
      Originally posted by Saulus
      Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornuto View Post
        - Elves will be 50% less lame (but still pretty lame to stay true to PnP).
        The only way to make elves not lame is to replace them all with dwarves.

The update sounds awesome, though. Sounds like you guys have been busy.
        Player of:
        Nadya Frost -
        Witchy Woman (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17774)
        Abigail Fryre - Short-Tempered (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16616)

Comment

Originally posted by Cornuto View Post
          Bonus updates:
          - The player UI now has a toggle to automatically emote *Nods* when you pass another player
          No automatic emote to * Sucker punches!* or * flips the bird * ?
          Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
          Cybil Gelley (Retired)
          Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

Will there also be an update of our current crafting system with this new update, or is that to come at a later or earlier time?

Comment

An update of the crafting system isn't one of the key elements of the Second Sundering.

That would be an update to follow at some point after this.
              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Any detail on what the story elements are about; or would that be spoiling it? I imagine the clue is in the title, maybe another sundering going on... uh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xXSlGKKrY
                Originally posted by roguethree
                If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

tl;dr: This update is going to be awesome.

- Two entirely new dungeons on both ends of the level spectrum
                  Very much appreciated. I think I speak for all level 18 and ups when I say we're tired of just killing orcs.
                  - A completely re-envisioned Sundren-City from (under) the ground up, along with its own world map
                  As long as you keep the bath house. Melissa needs her bath house.
                  - All Encounters on Sundren redesigned to fall into combat categories of Common/Elite/Champion/Boss/Epic Boss, with color coding to easily identity difficulty and potential rewards
                  I'm not a big fan of warning signs. But then again, no one likes dying just because the monster models can't show differences in DC.
                  - Encounters will require more diverse party composition, remaining challenging without alienating favorable styles of play (ie melee builds)

I'm hoping this doesn't come in the form of more traps. If possible it'd be nice to see clerics struggling once in a while.
                  - Less likelihood of encounters spawning on top of you, or running into another player's 'trash' spawns
                  There are no words for how grateful I will be for this.
                  - Custom loot tables for all encounters that reflect creature difficulty (risk vs reward)
                  No more spoons dropping from demon zombies?
                  - Personal player storage (the same as inns) becomes available at Faction HQs and the Temple of Waukeen
                  Hopefully this will mean that there will be more empty rooms at inns.
                  - New low level quests to help mitigate excessive grinding to gain levels
                  You might have to make the leveling cap increase more slowly to compensate. Less of a grind is great, but it'd be a shame for new characters to miss the "growing up" phase.
                  - Each and every zone in Sundren will be 'tweaked' to reflect the history and changes over the years, along with recent events
                  I can only imagine the amount of work that went into this. Even if it's just tweaking, Aquor and the Arbiter's Stand are going to need a lot of it.
                  Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
                  "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
                  UTC -4

Comment

Will this mean a serverwipe? I got the impression from older posts that serverwipes have been happening before, prior to large updates

Not that I'm against it - but it seems to me, that to get the full out of this update you'd have to start a new character.
                    My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
                    Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Comment

They're not planning on a vault wipe.
                      Originally posted by Cornuto
                      Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

This sounds great! I cant wait to see all the hard work. Thank you staff.
                        Active Characters
                        Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
                        Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
                        Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
                        Dorin Hammond- Scout
                        Seith Ronson- Master of War
                        "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
                        Socrates
                        sigpic

Comment

I cant wait till the new Sundren, having a ball with it now. But a new one???? Will be like starting all over..
                          Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

Originally posted by roguethree View Post
                            They're not planning on a vault wipe.
                            Why not?

Comment

They'll be continuing the current storyline, not rebooting, as has happened in Sundren's past. Also, the community's usually pretty split on stuff like vault wipes, so unless they're crucial to the plot or health of the server, best not to poke the bear.
                              Originally posted by Cornuto
                              Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Working...
                              X