Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Neverwinter Nights Title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of talking negatively about something you don't know, Kaeldorn, why not research on the subject first?

I suggest you go and take a look at a community-made website builder enthusiasts in Star Trek Online have made to collect news, information and video tutorials, StarbaseUGC.

Another points about the Foundry is that it's supported. The toolset is an evolving thing which has seen improvements and additions ever since it first came out for Star Trek Online back in last... November 2010 I think. Features that were not there at first have been introduced in since, and the library of critters, placeables and tilesets has been expanded upon based on additional content added into the game itself by the Devs - and from personal experience I'd say Cryptic's environment team isn't too shabby.

And... supposedly... Neverwinter's codebase for the Foundry is more powerful than the one we have access to on STO (apparently, STO Devs are the one taking and integrating code from Neverwinter to upgrade rather than vice-versa). Besides, with Game Trailer TV, The Escapist, Neowin, GameSpot, TenTonHammer and Zam so far saying the equivalent of "Hey, this is nice" I'd think there's - maybe? - something to it? It's not like these guys have forgotten what the Aurora toolset was, and I'm fairly sure that they'll be quick to put down the game if there's a reason to put it down: STO's premature launch earned it plenty of vitriol.

It's not like Cryptic or Atari can presently afford bribing all of those to heap praise of what they came up with for E3... which was their trailers, and the Foundry toolset (so, the bulk of the comment isn't base on any content Cryptic made, but solely on their toolset). I mean, right now 'Neverwinter' is being judged almost solely on the merit of its toolset.
    Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

I just went to that site and read the first page containing a list of a few very basic things you can't do in the Foundry. Things that wouldn't even have logical limitations due to potential abuse. Things you CAN do in the Warcraft 3 editor, which came out almost 10 years ago, and that's not even an RPG. When an editor of an old strategy game gives you more features to develop an RPG than a brand new RPG does, that does not give off a good signal to me.

Let's face it, the NWN franchise was built around the editor. For this new Neverwinter game it seems more like a thing on the side to increase the longevity of the game by letting people change content here and there. That's nice for an MMO - and definitely a step ahead of the 'dynamic events' in Rift, for instance - but with the way they are advertising the modding capabilities themselves I think it's reasonable to assume they will be very limited compared to the Aurora toolset. Generally speaking, an 'accessible' toolset means you have a few building blocks out of which you can put your world (or dungeon in this case) together in a few days, and that's it. If you need months to create anything good (with complex tools and a lot of freedom), your average Joe won't have the patience for it. And the media outlets really aren't going to criticise Cryptic if the editor is made for the average Joe.

Also still no mention of persistent worlds or actual self-created areas. If you expect too much of it, you'll probably feel let down in the end. I really doubt many modders will transition over from NWN2 to the new NW. They're not the audience for this type of game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeldorn View Post
        I just went to that site and read the first page containing a list of a few very basic things you can't do in the Foundry. Things that wouldn't even have logical limitations due to potential abuse. Things you CAN do in the Warcraft 3 editor, which came out almost 10 years ago, and that's not even an RPG. When an editor of an old strategy game gives you more features to develop an RPG than a brand new RPG does, that does not give off a good signal to me.

Let's face it, the NWN franchise was built around the editor. For this new Neverwinter game it seems more like a thing on the side to increase the longevity of the game by letting people change content here and there. That's nice for an MMO - and definitely a step ahead of the 'dynamic events' in Rift, for instance - but with the way they are advertising the modding capabilities themselves I think it's reasonable to assume they will be very limited compared to the Aurora toolset. Generally speaking, an 'accessible' toolset means you have a few building blocks out of which you can put your world (or dungeon in this case) together in a few days, and that's it. If you need months to create anything good (with complex tools and a lot of freedom), your average Joe won't have the patience for it. And the media outlets really aren't going to criticise Cryptic if the editor is made for the average Joe.

Also still no mention of persistent worlds or actual self-created areas. If you expect too much of it, you'll probably feel let down in the end. I really doubt many modders will transition over from NWN2 to the new NW. They're not the audience for this type of game.
        Exactly.

Comment

It's using their MMO engine they use in Champions Online and Star Trek Online. It's meant to be an MMO-style play unlike the PW-style we're used to currently.

Personally I'm not impressed with any of the MMOs line-ups coming out. Including The Old Republic.

Comment

Working...
          X