Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donation Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donation Drive

In an effort to cut down server costs & improve performance I'd like to invest in new hardware to collocate a server in a datacentre.

Currently I am renting hardware at a higher monthly cost. The approximate total cost for the hardware investment will be $3000. As over 90% of the usage of this equipment (the current equipment and the new) is dedicated purely to running Sundren's infastructure (the website, the downloads for ingame, game hosting, database servers) it's going to be dependent on the community if this will happen.

This cost will likely exceed what I expect to receive from the community, so no matter what the future of Sundren will still be tied to my ability to provide financially for the equipment... but if you do play here and plan to do so for the foreseeable future any kind of donation you make will be put directly to use for keeping things up and running, and hopefully making some improvements along the way.

If you've given generously before... thank-you. If you can do it again, all the better. This purchase will allow me to run Sundren for an indefinite amount of time and focus financial investments on other aspects aside from the standard upkeep cost.

I have no exact timeline on the purchase of this hardware, however the sooner, the better. A donation bar will appear overtop of the forums to reflect this goal.

Here's a summary of the equipment that will be purchased for those interested:

Lenovo Rackmount System 1U
    Quad Xeon Xeon 2.5GHZ
    16GB DDR3 ECC
    Dual 146GB 10,000RPM SAS (RAID1)
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

My I ask what it is running on now? What about quality used equipment? To be honest we have two proc dual-cores (2.8) lying around... DL360/DL380/DL580/BL465...

Is speed more important than cores? Do you get charged based on power consumption, bandwidth, rack units…?

If you are interested let me know and I can see about putting together a care package.

Nezzerscape
    Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
    Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
    Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
    Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

When I collocate I will be charged on rackspace and bandwidth. Right now I pay a flat rate for the bandwidth and the hardware that I have (Core 2 Quad Q9700).

A higher clock is better (3.0 GHZ+) but the price when it comes to xeons for that increases exponentially. Its more important to have a quad as I plan to virtualize. Problem is the SKUs come with the rackmount server and the CPU and a basic 4GB DIMM so not getting the CPU and swapping it becomes difficult.

I'd prefer 1U over anything else, but 2U should be okay.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I will see was is availalble tomorrow... if you were bulding a system i have a couple of new AMD 6 core proces in a drawer, but the clock spead is slower by a bit.

I will keep you informed as to what is on hand and what will be available shortly.
        Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide

Comment

Originally posted by nezzerscape View Post
          I will see was is availalble tomorrow... if you were bulding a system i have a couple of new AMD 6 core proces in a drawer, but the clock spead is slower by a bit.

I will keep you informed as to what is on hand and what will be available shortly.
          Problem is NWN2server can only utilize a thread on a single core efficiently... so its really dependent on clock speed.

George Carlin

Comment

That is what I thought... multi proc/core will only aid in vitalizing or running multiple apps…
            Had a look and at present old DL360 G2 (too low of a clock speed) and DL585 G2 (4U) (http://vb.net/products/HP/12575_div.html)
            I will keep my eyes out and hit a few others up for what is coming up and when.

Comment

Yeah that equipment is getting dated. I'd prefer Intel with VMware (which is why I won't do anything less than a Quad).

George Carlin

Comment

yes I know the 585 is not quad but 4 dual cores XEON... still 4U...

Been a while sense I visited our bin-o-servers. I will keep an eye out though and drop you an email if something becomes worthy available.

Comment

I'll have to see how much is in the bank after I pay the tuition for this coming semester, but I'll be sure to drop a little of what's left in the donation box.
                  Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
                  "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
                  UTC -4

Comment

as soon as partypoker accept the scans of my firstborn signed in my own blood and let me withdraw to paypal, i'll send a little something.
                    Juniper Thimbles, aka Juney, Blueberry, Maggie, Magpie or Queenie, depending who you ask:
                    Ex-Seamstress, Wannabe Collector, and Machiavellian Maker of Mischief.
                    'Cherries or Strawberries? Rain or Shine? Cats or Dogs? Cake or Pie?'

Juney's Super-Sparkly Triple-New theme tune:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9Kc-p2xxw#t=0m22s

Comment

Originally posted by JuneyGnomey View Post
                      as soon as partypoker accept the scans of my firstborn signed in my own blood and let me withdraw to paypal, i'll send a little something.
                      Hey, I make the semi-witty responses here! *barks and snarls*
                      Originally posted by roguethree
                      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Done & done! x
                        Juniper Thimbles, aka Juney, Blueberry, Maggie, Magpie or Queenie, depending who you ask:
                        Ex-Seamstress, Wannabe Collector, and Machiavellian Maker of Mischief.
                        'Cherries or Strawberries? Rain or Shine? Cats or Dogs? Cake or Pie?'

Juney's Super-Sparkly Triple-New theme tune:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9Kc-p2xxw#t=0m22s

Comment

Working...
                        X