Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An idea on the cause of early lag after server reset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea on the cause of early lag after server reset.

As the server reset I was considering why does it have such incredible, early, lag. upon log in to the server i used expeditious retreat and ran as fast as i could to an NPC that i knew to have been killed by guards. Lone behond before 2 minutes of the server being up the NPC was no more. I was thinking that maybe all these NPC's being attacked and that huge server-wide action could cause a lag spike into the 3000 ms when it is usually 100ms. *this is what i think about in my spare time*

Servers always have huge lag for the first couple of minutes after they come online, probably to load everything. Generally it's recommended that you stay off the server until the lag settles.
    -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

Yep, if the ping is up over 1000 then you probably should keep away. Once it settles down to a reasonable level it's likely safe.
      It is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." - I Cor. 1:19

Comment

The engine should prevent lag from influencing in what order the module is pieced together. While doubtful, it's actually not impossible that some of the faction settings could get mixed up if the server isn't allowed to load smoothly.

As said, people should in general stay out until it's stable.

Comment

Just a thought, is it possible for the server to protect itself from this? Could you implement a 5 minute ban on anyone logging in after reset just to be on the safe side?
          Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeldorn View Post
            While doubtful, it's actually not impossible that some of the faction settings could get mixed up if the server isn't allowed to load smoothly.
            That might explain why the guards run around killing everybody after a crash. I've not noted the rampage occurring after scheduled resets, only crashes, which is when players usually rush back in as soon as possible. I've been meaning to take closer notice of when it occurs out of curiosity.
            It is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." - I Cor. 1:19

Comment

Regarding what Uri said, I remember in nwn1 some servers has a password restriction for the first few minutes after a server loaded.

Ademant - Genasi with tainted blood
              Raggard Haffee - Wild Dwarven Druid

Comment

Working...
              X