Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The wonders of Multiclassing and BAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonders of Multiclassing and BAB

I love that I just rolled a character and leveled it up to 3. (Thank you devs. for the first 2 levels ) Open up the character sheet and notice... I have 0 BAB. I understand why... NWN truncates before adding class BAB together so...0.5+0.75+0.75=2 adds up like 0+0+0=0 instead. So my real question is, Is this hardcoded into NWN or can this be edited into Sundren... And then of course are the developers even interested in such a change?

Oh and thanks for the awesome server...
    Orin Leal : Ranger of Solonor
    Caleb Canton : Result of Rum
    Talderin Stoneshield : 'nuf said.
    Koal Deeds : ....
    Drathgar Ironhead : Say "Hi" Thorn!

hard coded it will increase with levels.
    can be modifed with modifying 2da's but that is a sever side change and doesn't make sense.

max bab you can get is 30. Other then that its weapon bonus, stat bonus that adds in.

while you might have a bab of 0 you could still have +3 to hit with a 16 stat.
    blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
    Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
    I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

I understand that it increases with levels, my point was that while in PnP a Wizard gains the least BAB/level but at level 2 he will have a BAB of 1. But with the current system I can 1 level of Wizard, Bard, Sorcerer, Rogue, Monk, and Druid and be level 6 and have a BAB of 0. But from what you said and the state of the 2da files (which I believe contain integers) this is the state of the game and can't be fixed. Thanks for the quick reply Void.

Comment

It's actually working appropriate according to D&D rules. Advantages such as getting the full level 1 save bonuses for all multiclassed classes are applied as well. But generally, getting 1 level in each class isn't such a good idea.

Comment

Well I know that multiclassing 6 times wouldn't be... intellegent. But it was for the sake of arguement. Thanks again.

Comment

you can't anyway, It caps at 4 possible classes in NWN2. But yea, you should have a BAB of 0 if you're that addicted to multiclassing. My recommendation...do it as little as possible for just that reason or at least have some fighter/paladin/barbarian/ranger in the mix.
            Lasala'ariira-A Woman Scorned.
            Chara Smith-Bio Here

Meram- Yes she's a shifty Hin, but she's still not going to pickpocket, daylight robbery is much more profitable.
            "The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
            -General George S. Patton

Comment

Or plan your character build with some "escape route" to raise the AB.

Im Sorcerer 2 / Cleric 3 / Red Dragon Disciple 1

My character's worst stats are STR, DEX and CON (10 in each one), and good on INT, WIS and CHA. (15, 16, 16) So, I took the Zen Archery Feat to use the +3 of Wisdom as Ranged Attack bonus
              Anorith Imyn A young elven girl with a thirst of blood and power.
              -Exigo Syndicate: Rank 1
              -Watchful Sister: Rank 1
              -Dragon Blood: 100% Completed
              - Done -

Comment

Originally posted by Xeesheava View Post
                Or plan your character build with some "escape route" to raise the AB.

Im Sorcerer 2 / Cleric 3 / Red Dragon Disciple 1

My character's worst stats are STR, DEX and CON (10 in each one), and good on INT, WIS and CHA. (15, 16, 16) So, I took the Zen Archery Feat to use the +3 of Wisdom as Ranged Attack bonus
                This is a perfect example of how to make DMs consider you a powergamer and consider permakilling you every time they open your character sheet
                Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

Originally posted by Urithrand View Post
                  This is a perfect example of how to make DMs consider you a powergamer and consider permakilling you every time they open your character sheet
                  Hahahahaha ! Well, the post itself it's an invite of a little powergaming chat.
                  - Done -

Comment

did you check to make sure your cleric has domains inside the dieties listing in the wiki?

is powergaming so bad? *looks over charactor build sheets for current charactors*...
                    blame everything right in my life on god -Me.
                    Being insane in a sane world is alot more fun then being a sane man in an insane world. -Me
                    I am only what you percieve, and even that is an illusion. -Me.

Ashinet Clavin Shiv Shadowsong

Comment

Originally posted by Product of Void View Post
                      did you check to make sure your cleric has domains inside the dieties listing in the wiki?
                      She have domains acording to her deity
                      - Done -

Comment

Originally posted by Product of Void View Post

is powergaming so bad? *looks over charactor build sheets for current charactors*...
                        Not "bad" but I find it rather distasteful. Building a character should be about RP above all else. For instance my rogue took the nimble fingers feat when point blank shot would have been far more useful, but that feat made much more RP sense. Then he took the stealthy feat, again for the same reason. Result? His sneak attack with a ranged weapon is extremely limited, and he's not great in combat. But his build makes perfect sense in terms of RP. This is how I feel a character should be built, not painstakingly planned to get every +1 to BAB you can squeeze out of it.
                        Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

Comment

I really don't like the powergaming concept. That you have to preplan every detail to make your character awesome and great. Especially here in Sundren. But NWN isn't perfect, well isn't even close.

So I find doing a little powergaming is need just to make sure your character can actually put one foot in front of the other. Last thing you want is a level 16 character who is a blast to RP but shouldn't ever leave the Inn for fear of being attacked and killed by near by ground squirrels.

So do both. Come up with a character concept, figure out what you need to achieve it. Then plan it out. (Not ever thing just the broad strokes) Make sure every works out alright. Doesn't have to be awesome, just not *special* to a rediculous degree. Characters that have bizzar semi-functioning builds are the funnest to play in Sundren my opinion.

Try rolling a character with 3 or (DM's forgive me) 4 different classes. Why just because it's a great way to force your self to make a character that's just odd.

Bard/Cleric/Wizard = WTF= Fun (Well, if it can survive )

Comment

Originally posted by Urithrand View Post
                            Not "bad" but I find it rather distasteful. Building a character should be about RP above all else. For instance my rogue took the nimble fingers feat when point blank shot would have been far more useful, but that feat made much more RP sense. Then he took the stealthy feat, again for the same reason. Result? His sneak attack with a ranged weapon is extremely limited, and he's not great in combat. But his build makes perfect sense in terms of RP. This is how I feel a character should be built, not painstakingly planned to get every +1 to BAB you can squeeze out of it.

Noble idea, but doesn't work well in practice, especially with the DM strike. With RP characters you have to AVOID battle. I tried making one, I couldn't get past 4. You basically live off the xp ticker, with death hurting that much more and you need to be in a social area so you're not just sitting around for days. Even more true when you're at the butt end of the timezones. I try to make my characters strong enough to do a combat job (not be able to solo ogres or anything but do well in a group of 2, 3 if I'm lucky) while still being fun to RP, it's a hard balancing act.
                            Lasala'ariira-A Woman Scorned.
                            Chara Smith-Bio Here

Meram- Yes she's a shifty Hin, but she's still not going to pickpocket, daylight robbery is much more profitable.
                            "The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
                            -General George S. Patton

Comment

I never said that taking feats to improve your character's combat skill was wrong, I said I disagree with choosing every feat, skillpoint, class and race specifically around creating a "powerbuild". Believe me, I've heard a group on people planning out absolutely every aspect of a character like this, and then arguing over what level to take X class because they'd have an extra +1 BAB if they did it this way etc. etc. This is the way to make a character that nobody will want to play with. No-one wants to be overshadowed by other players, and it's unfair on a PvP server where other players *have* made a build using RP logic.

Originally posted by EndsBeginning View Post
                              Noble idea, but doesn't work well in practice, especially with the DM strike. With RP characters you have to AVOID battle. I tried making one, I couldn't get past 4. You basically live off the xp ticker, with death hurting that much more and you need to be in a social area so you're not just sitting around for days. Even more true when you're at the butt end of the timezones. I try to make my characters strong enough to do a combat job (not be able to solo ogres or anything but do well in a group of 2, 3 if I'm lucky) while still being fun to RP, it's a hard balancing act.
                              Firstly, there is no DM "strike". We are all still functioning as per normal, but we're refusing to use the Exigo as a starting point for our quests. Secondly, if you can't make a character that fits with RP then you're obviously doing something wrong. Leckith Oakenhair and Kolomar Biddle were both RP builds and they both reached level 15 without much trouble at all. I'm currently playing another RP build too as I mentioned earlier with the nimble fingers feat, and he's an extremely useful member of a party, and at level 8 can quite happily sneak around in the ogre caves and take them on with a party.

Comment

Working...
                              X