Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Container characters

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Container characters

Is this permitted here? What I mean is, the creation of a character whose sole purpose is to be a storage chest for a real character.
    "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle." -- Frederick Douglass

myspace.com/ghost5956

Per rules in the wiki,

Transferring Items/Muling

Transferring items from one character you own to another is not permissible under any circumstances, as this is considered exploitation. Also, hoarding items on a particular character/account is not permitted.
    Gribbon Shorn - The Silver-Tongued Halfling.

Comment

Duly noted. But I have seen the concept used on other PWs with identical rules, as it was not considered muling or hoarding. In any case, if you're permitted to store equipment in a chest in a room, I would think you could do it this way.

*shrug* Anyway, I was just wanting verification one way or the other.
      "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle." -- Frederick Douglass

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Yes, if you rent an inn room, they come with chests in which you can store items (not to be mistaken with the trash bin's that litter the city streets).

I think the major problem with muling is how you go about doing it and the big risks that are taken when doing this.

For example, john drops stuff on the ground for his character. Joe comes by, seeing free items with no knowledge of it being valuable to anyone as he assumes it is just carelessly tossed away. John returns to see his items missing and contacts a DM quite frantically. Meanwhile, Joe has already sold the items and is living happily off of the gold.

Like it says, its an exploit - its not meant to happen in the game, but players will find ways to do things xD

Use the tools that the Sundren Devs give you, they also help to balance out the ingame economy as you have to pay money to rent an inn room.
        Gribbon Shorn - The Silver-Tongued Halfling.

Comment

It's all in making it as in character as possible. The odds of your person being able to find a trustworthy chest to store his stuff is pretty good. The odds of him owning a person who would trustingly spend his days doing nothing but holding all of his stuff....not so much.
          Sain- Immunes Legionaire and Ex-Adept of the now decimated Red Blades
          Dane Kensbane- Farmboy struggling to adjust to his new life as a favored of Illmater
          Peeli Pebblepounder- Beardless dwarven scout and woodsman
          Alexi Starsunder- Extremely young and headstrong elven rogue searching for his adopted dwarven uncle.
          Siriandel Starsunder- Grizzled Elven ranger, and estranged uncle of Alexi

Comment

Um. This is not where I wanted to go with this, just wanted a yes or no, but here goes...

If it is permitted by the server rules, it therefore is neither an exploit nor muling. (It certainly does present the issue of someone coming along and picking up your goodies while you're in mid-log, though, and it would be difficult to regulate to make sure that it doesn't turn INTO muling or exploiting).

And it's not supposed to literally represent an actual person sitting around holding items...on the servers I've seen it on, it was a quick-and-dirty no-coding way of having some sort of persistent storage. It doesn't affect IC/OOC in any significant way in and of itself--remember that you can't take everything on this or any PW literally. If you did, you'd have to come up with an IC logic behind why 95% of the houses in Sundren don't have doors or windows that open, among other things.

In any case: if it's no, it's no, and that's all cool.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a no - and Sundren already has persistent storage with the inn chests.

Comment

Not permitted -- more storage options will be coming soon. Personal storage at faction HQs as well as another inn.
                The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

It is a definite NO.
                  "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                  -Bill Maher

Comment

Working...
                  X