Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not Scared! (Why people don't role playing fear.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not Scared! (Why people don't role playing fear.)

I noticed, over in the Suggestion section, that Uri complained no one ever role plays being afraid of something. Not everyone handles fear the same way.
    Active

Inactive

Cazen - A guy who "knows a guy..."
    - Nights in Neverwinter (Cazen History)
    - Back on the Street

Thrice-Cursed Ruslan - An outcast among outcasts
    - Tales of a Foolish Brother (Ruslan History)

Yeah, as much as I think this subject stands to be addressed, I honestly can't see this thread going anywhere but locked. Lots of mixed feeling and opinions on how their characters should act/feel and what they shouldn't. Most threads like this end up dancing in circles until someone has enough of the bickering.

However, I'd put money on that if nothing was said about this whole demon spawn thing being about bringing fear to PCs? Nobody would role play it. They'd just avoid it for OOC reasons and remain fearless IC.

Now that it has been mentioned, I bet we'll see a lot of players RPing out fear.
    "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
    Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

Well as a paladin, I am immune to fright you see when your as stubborn as I am and you have to be a becon of light for all peoples.....you just get immunity to these kind of things

And I agree 90% with loller.

I dont think people will RP fear now either way now that it was mentioned.
      Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

When that demon was set on Pyras, I thought it was Phantom Lamb playing an OOC joke on me... So the fear was somewhat offset, unfortunately. It killed Zack, though. Maybe he's afraid.

And on a related note, my problem in regards to fear is when it comes to the special races. When everyone wants to go poke the Drow to see what they do, and start asking them questions, and figure out if they're fun-loving Drow who love to dance under the sun... that's not right. Drow are the things of nightmares, and the monsters under the bed. Tiefling should also be getting a little less love in my opinion as well. Everyone wants to hug the hellish and abyssal residue? I don't understand.

They're freaks, oddities, nightmarish beasts, and the things that mothers use to scare their children into behaving.

"If you don't eat your vegetables, the Drow will get you!", and the like.
        ---

To Mold a Mind:

"Her body will be fortified, her mind will be taken and reforged, and her heart shall be sworn only to uphold that which I demand. And as for her soul, well - she can have that back when she's dead."

Comment

Spawn a lich in front of a few level 3 chars and in 90% they will attack at.

Comment

Originally posted by Demathos View Post
            Tiefling should also be getting a little less love in my opinion as well. Everyone wants to hug the hellish and abyssal residue? I don't understand.

They're freaks, oddities, nightmarish beasts, and the things that mothers use to scare their children into behaving.

"If you don't eat your vegetables, the Drow will get you!", and the like.
            Tell me about it... why cant people be more distasteful of Nocte, Conflict after all sparks RP.
            Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

the reason people dont do that is simple.. and has been said quite a few times. People are just too nice online and therefore are far more accepting for OOC reasons. Which is precisely why there are fewer evil characters and even fewer that actually act "evil" on a daily basis.

Comment

I love it when people distrust my character due to stereotypes and discrimination. I love it when people go out of there way to stop and foil whatever Pyras is doing, on the grounds that he is a Thayan. And if I were to guess, most other evil players like that too -- having a nemesis or group in conflict with your goals makes being evil fun. It's the whole damn point. We don't play evil characters to get along with everyone, but it gets hard when everyone wants to make peace with the would-be conquerers of Faerun.

Like Anks said, conflict breeds RP, and if we don't take advantage of that, we all might as well be level 1 commoners.
                ---

To Mold a Mind:

"Her body will be fortified, her mind will be taken and reforged, and her heart shall be sworn only to uphold that which I demand. And as for her soul, well - she can have that back when she's dead."

Comment

I personally loved it when Zack got his ass kicked by the three-four other PCs, and they were thinking of ways on torturing him because he was simply a tiefling.

That's how it should be.
                  "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
                  Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by iowanscott View Post
                    Which is precisely why there are fewer evil characters and even fewer that actually act "evil" on a daily basis.
                    So true but problem is, some of the "Evil" people want get themself settle toward the top in level before they come out compeletly... nothing worse then say a level 5 trying scare the hells out of a level 10. Not going happen normaly.
                    I would love to see the whole drow thing go down when they were much higher in level because now anyone that see they are the same level or higher are going be "Pffhh... im bigger, i aint scared, your going down" specaily with a bounty so quickly place on their head. It is one the few reasons anyway that i dont go all out on people... Know how many times Lucas wanted to gut Zack? Tell you truth i always waited for him to leave camp but he never did O.o lol
                    Currents:
                    Nothing yet.

Forgottens, as time has slip, so have they.
                    Varnz Fury - Born again Druid
                    Luke Harper - Seadog of the Sea.

Comment

Well, being new to RP on NWN2 (PnP used to be my forte), I have found myself not able to easily tell what race some PC's are quickly, and don't realize that I should RP hate,fear,disgust etc. By "examining" PC's have good Bio's I can react. (on a side note - I am actually one of the bad bio's that says nothing of appearance. *slaps himself on forehead* Can I have a DM adjust my bio with a better desc.?) I apologize. Now that I know Nocte is a teifling, I will act accordingly *cringes and steps away...way away*

Is there an easy way to zoom in on a face to tell race? (this could be a really stupid ques. and I'm sorry if it is...)
                      Ru'umel Amakiir - Ranger of the Corps de Grace
                      Will Smither - Imbuer of some, Master of None...
                      Zelom Silverstar - Evangelistic singing elf
                      Originally posted by Machiavelli
                      "What in hells are you doin' with my chicken?"

Comment

Max took Nocte in for questioning, and made sure he did his paperwork. PL handled it and it was good RP. He had nothing to fear really, since he is bascially a good guy as far as I can tell.

Logan on the other hand has been running around terrified of getting caught, which has got to be fun and very scary.

I remember being really afraid when Landeren was running around with a bunch of demons.
                        Dahdmib Al Faruk: Whirling Ranger
                        Dordleton Grumplestout: Spelunker Gadgeteer
                        Shalika Ike: A Dark Woman with a Dark Past

Comment

Max came up to Zek.
                          "Who ARE you?"
                          "I'm Abel"
                          "Oh, carry on."

Didn't even try to get under my hood, though I would have busted out with the +18 intimidate on him right quick and said "None of your buisness, these are not the droids your looking for"

Comment

Originally posted by RPMike17 View Post
                            Well, being new to RP on NWN2 (PnP used to be my forte), I have found myself not able to easily tell what race some PC's are quickly, and don't realize that I should RP hate,fear,disgust etc. By "examining" PC's have good Bio's I can react. (on a side note - I am actually one of the bad bio's that says nothing of appearance. *slaps himself on forehead* Can I have a DM adjust my bio with a better desc.?) I apologize. Now that I know Nocte is a teifling, I will act accordingly *cringes and steps away...way away*

Is there an easy way to zoom in on a face to tell race? (this could be a really stupid ques. and I'm sorry if it is...)
                            Nocte hides the fact that hes a tiefling because he knows people are fearful and hateful of his kine. =) thats why he wears a hood , or a hat and all that good stuff , and in response to nickbeat.. .thats what i want max to belief =) MUAHAHAH sorry...

Sorry this thread has derailed past its orignial intent and I think im am partially to blame forgive me jai and all of you who stayed within the topic

Comment

I knew OOC that he was a drow, but Max had no idea. I'm thinking that Max is going to start demanding others show their faces when he meets them. It's just good policy when there are drow on the loose.
                              Dahdmib Al Faruk: Whirling Ranger
                              Dordleton Grumplestout: Spelunker Gadgeteer
                              Shalika Ike: A Dark Woman with a Dark Past

Comment

Working...
                              X