Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medium size of weapon and ranger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium size of weapon and ranger?

Hi! I was just thinking that how come my ranger loses 2 points of BAB when he wields scimitar? My BAB is 7 without weapon and with bow but when i equip him with sword, it drops to 5. He has selected Archer style so does it make it perhaps?

Just a shot in the dark, bow AB is BAB + Dex modifier + Any feats (if applicable), yes?

And then melee AB would be BAB + STR modifier + Any feats.

That is, unless you have the feat Weapon Finesse, which would add your DEX modifier instead of STR (or, whichever is higher at the time) to your attack bonus.

Perhaps your DEX score is 4 points higher than your STR score, and you don't have Weapon Finesse?

Edit: Also, you take a -2 AB hit if you're two weapon fighting, which wasn't specified if you're fighting with two weapons or not. However, you stated that you went archery style. That should mean you don't have the two weapon fighting feat, and would receive a -4 AB hit. Could be mistaken.
    "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
    Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

Unless his STR is 6 or 7 which would give an AB which is 2 points lower than your BAB with melee weapons, which is what it seems like you are saying.
      Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

I had assumed he meant 'AB' instead of 'BAB', mostly because that would help this make sense given he's a relatively low level ranger, his BAB would be pretty low. He'd have to be a level 10 ranger for 7 BAB.

I was thinking of the most likely scenario being something like this;

Level 6 ranger, with 4 BAB has a DEX score of 16 and STR score of 12. With a bow or unarmed his AB would be 7. With a melee weapon, it would be 5. Assuming he doesn't have Weapon Finesse.
        "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
        Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

Weapon finesse shouldn't work with scimitars ... if I remember correctly, it only works with a specific list of weapons (generally rogue-ish: daggers, shortswords, sickles, rapiers etc.)

Comment

Correct, Scimitars don't work with weapon finesse. The feat describes the available weapons for it. Rapier would be a better choice.
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
              Correct, Scimitars don't work with weapon finesse. The feat describes the available weapons for it. Rapier would be a better choice.
              Or the Kukri ... Just don't hold out hope for there being many on the server, short of one you get enchanted yourself.
              Daelus Bloodmoon (a.k.a. "Thistlegrasper") - Ranger, untrusting and sarcastic ne'er-do-well, and overall jerk.

Dae's theme (For now at least): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0

Comment

also you take the -2 atk penalty for the wpns being medium if i remeber right. if u use small wpns like a short sword u that penalty will be removed also and shorts can also be wpn finessed.
                "Computer Jock striving for the most nerd points"

~Pip Gemini~ Halfling Adventurer

Comment

I don't think he's referring to dual wielding, though. Just regular weilding of a scimitar. But that's a whole other list of penalties based on ranger lvl (well, feats list, but are automatic to rangers).
                  Larando de'Kaun: Larando's history.
                  Originally posted by Gabryal
                  is it just me or is Larando kind of the Monty Python of villains? It seems that everything he tries doesn't just go wrong, but horribly so
                  Cazador: The marauding beast's heart.
                  "The Hunt must be clean. If disease or affliction is visited on hunters by a beast, clergy of Malar must do all they can to root out and exterminate the taint, that bloodlines and beasts in the wild remain always strong." -The gospel of Saernclaws

Comment

Don't rangers get good BAB progression 1/1 ?
                    Dahdmib Al Faruk: Whirling Ranger
                    Dordleton Grumplestout: Spelunker Gadgeteer
                    Shalika Ike: A Dark Woman with a Dark Past

Comment

yup: barbarians/fighters/rangers/paladins get +1 base attack bonus every level

Comment

he probably just doesnt have weapon finesse. which would explain the higher bow AB due to a higher dex that any ranger should take over higher strength..
                        Rellik Nightstalker - Wood elf ranger
                        Kennison Harper - Traveller

Comment

Working...
                        X