Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disliking other races

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disliking other races

Hey,

I've been wondering about what race dislikes the other races...

For example Elves dislike Half-Elves and the Drow, but what else?

Half-Orcs are they hated troughout this realm ?
    Mavar - Young Elven male

Everyone hates the drow (except care bears, my term for those PCs that hippy love everyone regardless of race)

All half breeds are viewed with suspicion by the government of Sundren, and are currently being forced to register under the Anderson Act.

Elves that take the Darkwood Stalker prestige class hate Half Orcs. (Its pretty much a given for that class, else they would never take it)

Other then that.. its pretty hippy love around Sundren right now. Unfortunately. (Strife breeds RP, love breeds cybering)

Comment

Me as a tiefling I strive to hate all other kin , Includeing my own I just try not to show my hatred.
      Elric Modner. - "Yesterday I dared struggle against tyranny, Today I dare to fight once again."

Comment

Hatred isn't something that works well for characters who try to respect all life. Good aligned druids and paladins (and fallen paladins who still try to be paladins) will have a hard time hating anyone. They also can't be completely prejudiced against other races, although they most certainly don't have to trust them either. And they can and will take harsh action when they deem it necessary.

Think Yashia's way of dealing with Nocte is a good example. She doesn't hate him or being around him, but she doesn't like him at all either, is extra cautious when he says or does anything, and will speak up against him when she suspects he's up to no good.

Comment

Annie as a Druid doesn't really judge people based on their race either - though she treats those with a doubtful reputation (such as drow) cautious at first - provided she's even heard of them - tieflings, for example, were new to her when she first came to Sundren

But yeah... she started out as one of the care bears I guess. She's grown up some. She still isn't inclined to hate on sight though.
          Annaleen Wiltenholm-There's always something to smile about.
          Chani Kalera- Intimidation is the new diplomacy. *looms*
          Eleanor "Bloody Elle" Lark - Why is the rum always gone?
          Yolanda Brown - If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unless life also gives you water and sugar, your lemonade is going to suck.
          Astrid Hammerhand - Och!

Comment

Ehh, Dae hates people, not races... granted, if certain people are of a race that is known to have attributes that he would hate, then surely he would hate them as well.
            Daelus Bloodmoon (a.k.a. "Thistlegrasper") - Ranger, untrusting and sarcastic ne'er-do-well, and overall jerk.

Dae's theme (For now at least): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0

Comment

Eira tends to have a disdain for pretty much everyone regardless of race, although gnomes and half orcs tend to get a lot of extra disdain.

Half orcs - It's a northen tribe thing, they're ugly, smelly and generally denser than rock (in her view atleast). Only really good for sending out in the first wave of a fight so they can wear out a foe slightly before the real fighters step in.

Gnomes - Small, bouncy and smug. Good for.. Well.. Umm.. Firewood?

Teiflings - judged on an individual basis, some have prooven very capable, others a mild irritant.
              Eira Skald - Icy bitch.
              Karsten Mannerheim - Idealist and murderer.
              Vincent Hopkins - Witch Hunter and man of faith.
              Aedan Gilter - Dreamer of broken dreams.
              Henry L. Jones - Oh god, I can see forever.

Comment

For Juniper, Gnomes always get the benefit of the doubt, even the downright rude & sinister ones.

Tieflings & Half Orcs are regarded with suspicion, but she tries to keep a lid on it. Especially, after all, since she met Zack through a confrontation, and ended up liking him very much.

Besides, how characters feel about other races isn't always reflected in the way they behave toward them. If Juney doesn't want to be seen as antagonistic, she'll try to keep a cork in it. As difficult as that may be.

Drow are another matter entirely, and would most likely be despised by the vast majority of any civilized race. Curiosity can only stretch so far. And everybody knows what they say about curiosity.

But... firewood!?
                Last edited by JuneyGnomey; 08-14-2008, 08:44 AM. Reason: remembered to be outraged at Gnomes = firewood comment
                Juniper Thimbles, aka Juney, Blueberry, Maggie, Magpie or Queenie, depending who you ask:
                Ex-Seamstress, Wannabe Collector, and Machiavellian Maker of Mischief.
                'Cherries or Strawberries? Rain or Shine? Cats or Dogs? Cake or Pie?'

Juney's Super-Sparkly Triple-New theme tune:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9Kc-p2xxw#t=0m22s

Comment

Oh yeah, didn't you know? The reason the campfire is always burning is that there's a secret pile of gnome bodies laying inside that cart that people are constantly throwing onto the fire.
                  Characters:
                  Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                  Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                  If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

Man, why does everyone respond to generalized questions with, "Well my PC does this..." Drives me crazy!

Sundren in GENERAL: Yeah there's racial hatred for those races you mentioned, though half-elves probably don't receive much hatred from elves. Sundren is a mostly human population.

Now if your question is about Sundren PCs? Well, players generally have an aversion to exhibiting hatred and prejudice, so many PCs will shy away from this. You'll find a lot of carebears, as Nocte pointed out.

The general population (non-player controlled) of Sundren would hate / distrust tieflings and half-orcs; they would probably also fear gensai for being very different. Drow are "kill on sight." PCs are much more tolerant and don't represent the way the city population actually feels.

Hope that helped
                    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                    -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
                      Man, why does everyone respond to generalized questions with, "Well my PC does this..." Drives me crazy!
                      I guess people are reluctant to speak on behalf of other players, and especially on behalf of the Devs/DMs. And they also like to talk about their beloved characters (particularly when they are bored at work...)
                      Don't hate us, reward us with cake!
                      Juniper Thimbles, aka Juney, Blueberry, Maggie, Magpie or Queenie, depending who you ask:
                      Ex-Seamstress, Wannabe Collector, and Machiavellian Maker of Mischief.
                      'Cherries or Strawberries? Rain or Shine? Cats or Dogs? Cake or Pie?'

Juney's Super-Sparkly Triple-New theme tune:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9Kc-p2xxw#t=0m22s

Comment

What Juney said. Also, considering I think he is asking this to decide on a character he wants to make, getting a picture how other players act with regard to racial differences was part of what he wanted to know. But really, it usually depends on alignment, class and deity of a character how he or she sees and treats other races as well.

On another note.. Juney, you asked for cake! So do you now finally admit it is the better?!

Comment

Hace to agree with Juney and Kealdorn, I can only offer thoughts on my alts, not on anything else, so that's what I post

And.... The cake is a lie.
                          Eira Skald - Icy bitch.
                          Karsten Mannerheim - Idealist and murderer.
                          Vincent Hopkins - Witch Hunter and man of faith.
                          Aedan Gilter - Dreamer of broken dreams.
                          Henry L. Jones - Oh god, I can see forever.

Comment

Vader hates everything,on different levels.Like he hates halflings and gnomes the least...But he still hates them..He hates everything non-Talos.That is pretty much everyone...And there are a few exceptions for some individuals,but he still hates them.
                            "Feel the fervor growing,but the hate is stronger.My heart was whole with you,but the pain was mine."

Comment

The way I generally play server NPCs, especially of the "Random Joe" sort, the less human you are the moreyou get looked at suspiciously. There's no outright hatred there, because to be honest genuine hatred as regards racial discrimination is rare. People don't hate drow, they fear drow and the fear is often expressed as anger (at least when the drow's not around). I have most guards and Legionaires having been drilled at least in principle to allow protection under the law to most varieties of folk, but even then they're more likely to believe a human, all else equal, than a half-orc. Your mileage may vary.

My main objective when playing these interactions is to make people comfortable expressing their character's views without getting immediately heaped with "racism is BAAD" speeches. I view this as a boon to characters that make an effort to be friendly to half-orcs and the like, because if everyone is doing it, it's not very special, is it?

And now, to irritate Phantom Lamb... ^_^

Tamryn subtly discriminates, and she doesn't realize that she's doing it most of the time. She does her best to be courteous to everyone, but her dislike or distrust will sometimes shade her answers if you look closely. This is most distinct with tieflings / fiendbloods, because as she continues on her path she takes on more celestial traits, and in return acquires a bit of celestial antipathy against lower-planes-things.
                              Adama who was once called Adama Hrakness, sacred paw of Mielikki

Lihana Farrier, Paladin of Torm and noble dalliance

On Hold: Alandriel Ward, Actually a Vampire Groupie
                              Retired for Good: Tamryn Jorandur, Hano's Wife and Conflicted Soul

Comment

Working...
                              X