Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm...I feel smarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm...I feel smarter

At level 4 (I believe) you have a chance to raise on of your stats (Str, Con, etc.). I raised my intelligence, which made my modifier +4 instead of +3. I believe, when creating a character, the amount of languages you can learn is based on this modifier (Certainly correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible, through study, that if a character raises his intelligence he or she can learn a new language?

Pycroft Aura
    Courtnei Ryce

No raising your ability does not mean you learn a new language, im pretty certain of that. however you can spend a certain amount of skill points on learning a new language.

or is that just Barbarians and literacy?
    Tina Taylor - A loveable friendly halfling.

Comment

Theres a 'speak languages' skill in PNP. Bards get it as a class skill, so everyone could spend 2 skill points in it to get a new language and bards would just spend 1.
      But starting intelligence bonus is the only intel bonus that counts for languages. Your extra skill points from more intel could be spent on speak langauges, assuming it were in game.
      Of course the DMs can always decide to do it differently.

Comment

I don't know if it's a far off request seeing as you can learn a new language in real life with lots of study. It would be difficult to do since I don't believe I've seen a library in Sundren with proper tools of study. I guess the only way would to be to get a tutor who speaks a certain language, and it seems not many people are interested in sitting down to tutor a language at this time

Pycrot

Comment

You could of course, just take a few monks levels. At 17, you get an ability named "Tongue of the Sun and the Moon", which allows you to speak the languages of all living creatures.

Jaythen Auraya, wandering healer and herbalist. Also sligthly mad.

Comment

Im sure something like that can be done if it is RPd out . I see no problem in your character learning a new language if you took an ability point into your intelligence.

Knowledge is power some say and if your character is intelligent, then you should have the opportunity to learn a new language. Of course it is dependant on your Int stat. So you now have +4 natural mod instead of +3.. that means you have the opportunity to learn a new language.. if...if if... you Rp it out .

This is not written in the rules or anything but I am sure this is how it would flow. It does need clarification.
            Current: Dae'Vesta, freaky female half-drow assassin

Like Metal ? ----> http://www.myspace.com/cryofsickness2008

Comment

Originally posted by Ralek View Post
              You could of course, just take a few monks levels. At 17, you get an ability named "Tongue of the Sun and the Moon", which allows you to speak the languages of all living creatures.

Assuming that were in the game, since NWN2 did not officially implement languages, therefore, had no way to create that ability.
              Heh, i guess my characters are deleted, now. Updating char list soon!

Comment

There is no 'Speak Languages' skill to my knowledge. When you level up, you can spend a skill point to learn a new language. That's my understanding straight from the book.

Comment

Originally posted by SRD 3.5
                  You can purchase Speak Language just like any other skill, but instead of buying a rank in it, you choose a new language that you can speak.
                  Ethereal Edge got it right. I am not sure I like this system (we never played it this way in PnP), but that's what the PnP rules say.

Getting more intelligent won't 'teach you' another language. You'll need to learn it the usual way and will have to rp it like Soulbadguy said.

Unless the DMs decide on some other way to handle it.
                  Playing Asha'easaahae Illeleste & Frem

Comment

Well yes thats how it works, with a new rank you get a new language. But it is a skill, not that it is ever rolled for anything like bluff or what have you.
                    It is a class skill according to the SRD, as only bards get it as a class skill, meaning everyone else spends 2 skill points for a new language as a cross class skill, bards only have to spend 1 point.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx Powers View Post
                      Assuming that were in the game, since NWN2 did not officially implement languages, therefore, had no way to create that ability.
                      Since there's a language system on Sundren, the closest thing would probably be to simply give 17th level monks all available language tokens, or something like that.
                      Jaythen Auraya, wandering healer and herbalist. Also sligthly mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralek View Post
                        Since there's a language system on Sundren, the closest thing would probably be to simply give 17th level monks all available language tokens, or something like that.
                        Not going to happen.
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I'm guessing it's due to scripting/DMFI limitation related reasons.

I still cannot believe how many PCs know elven; it's as if it's the lingua franca atm.
                          Last edited by Ithildur; 03-01-2007, 04:59 PM.
                          PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

Doesn't a skill point increase to a skill differ from things like items or spells? I figured going from 17 INT to 18 via the 4th level skill point would allow another language...

Lore Checks suck by the way.

Comment

?? Not sure what you're asking. The INT raise at lvl 4, that's ability points, not skill points, Scarlett. Skill point is things like lore, diplomacy, etc.

The most sensible way to do this imo is when you gain another + bonus from INT being raised, you get the capacity to learn an additional language, but need to RP it out to some degree at least to actually learn it. It's an additional opportunity to RP/flesh out your PC.

Lore checks... heh, that's the one downside to playing clerics, their lack of skill points... although I think it'd make sense for many clerics to put all of the meager amount that they have into lore, especially if they have knowledge domain or follow Oghma or something like that.

Sorry, little sympathy here for a class that gets to cast harm, firestorm, implosion, earthquake, mantles, etc while wearing full plate... especially if someone casts Harm left and right with a good cleric. :P
                              PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

Working...
                              X